Free Agency Luke Dunstan [joins Melbourne as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looks like he could on the move and rumoured to be shopping around. A few injuries this year but not sure if he is best 22 at St Kilda anymore.

Not sure what his value would be and what clubs could use him? Any suggestions on what he would be worth?

Looks like he could on the move and rumoured to be shopping around. A few injuries this year but not sure if he is best 22 at St Kilda anymore.

Not sure what his value would be and what clubs could use him? Any suggestions on what he would be worth?
A salary dump to Adelaide by the sounds of it. Probably a pick in the 5th or 6th rounds.

On SM-G950U using BigFooty.com mobile app

I must admit I haven’t seen much of him, doesn’t seem to rack up too many possessions and is a bit slow?

In all honesty he’s a poorer version of Matt Crouch. He is a true midfielder that cannot play in any other position resulting in limited game time. He either plays in the middle or is on the bench. Very good contested player, plays with a lot of heart but lacks weapons. Not fast or skilful. He does seem to rack up the possessions when measuring against his limited minutes. He shouldn’t be a priority for your mob but probably a free hit.

Wouldn't he be better for Gold Coast than Rory Atkins?

No idea on worth but he puts up decent numbers which fall short of others as i think his TOG% is generally lower for whatever reason (purely based on random observation so may not actually be a trend). Can butcher it at times as any other inside mid player does these days.
He definitely was best 22 at the start of the year when he played but steele emerging as more than just a tag makes him surplus to needs, especially if picking up a better inside player.
Would be a bargain in the ealy 3rd round, never going to emerge as A grade but verg servicable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton and Essendon should be interested. A pure inside mid.
We wouldn't be keen I reckon. We already have Matt Kennedy struggling for game time, who has more skills to work with than Dunstan. If this was 2 years ago i'd be all for it. Could play a role at a club in need like Essendon, crows, kangas etc

Always rated Luke, not pretty but can be very effective.

Getting more nervous we will move on him, I definitely wouldn’t. Wouldn’t have a problem moving on Webster or Roberton but not Luke.

We really need mids so I’m not sure why we’d trade him but for the salary and opportunity perhaps.

I'd assume he'd be a fairly low pick like a third rounder or maybe a fourth.

His value would have dropped significantly since this time last year. He went from being a first team regular to not in our best 22 at all. It's probably the right time for him to leave so that he can get regular football.

Also if him leaving helps us with our targeting of Crouch, then I think it's worth us letting him go. Trading out this years second rounder last year has hurt us this year, so we don't have much to offer so we have to look at offloading some fringe players.

We wouldn't be keen I reckon. We already have Matt Kennedy struggling for game time, who has more skills to work with than Dunstan. If this was 2 years ago i'd be all for it. Could play a role at a club in need like Essendon, crows, kangas etc

I agree with you.

I was keen on Luke a few years back but now I don't see him as someone we have a particular need for.

I'd still have a look if he came cheap enough but I'd expect there would be a few clubs who would be a better fit for him going forward.

Wouldn't he be better for Gold Coast than Rory Atkins?
Completely different players. Atkins is coming in to fill the outside run for us which we slightly lack. Dunstan is a combative slow inside mid, which we already have with Swallow, Rowell, Greenwood and Miller.

I must admit I haven’t seen much of him, doesn’t seem to rack up too many possessions and is a bit slow?
Followed him a fair bit, your suggestion he doesn't get very many possessions is not correct, when fit is a regular 20-25 gatherer. Very tough, kick a little unreliable but always gives 110%. Would have him way ahead of Jones, McHenry, Poholke, Davis and Crocker. Would have played just over 100 AFL games.

I'd assume he'd be a fairly low pick like a third rounder or maybe a fourth.

His value would have dropped significantly since this time last year. He went from being a first team regular to not in our best 22 at all. It's probably the right time for him to leave so that he can get regular football.

Also if him leaving helps us with our targeting of Crouch, then I think it's worth us letting him go. Trading out this years second rounder last year has hurt us this year, so we don't have much to offer so we have to look at offloading some fringe players.
Well the saints have put 100 games in this bloke in the last 6 years yet this season has barely played a handful of games.

I see him being in the saints list for 2021. I predict him to play 8-10 games next season.

He is a free agent next season. Probably easier for a club to get him next season and saints get a mid 2nd rounder

Luke Dunstan / Anthony Miles

Pick #60+ just to find him a new home

Anthony miles averages more disposals at better DE% and if free as a delisted free agent and would play for $100k

Remove this Banner Ad

Back