Traded Adam Saad [traded to Carlton with #48 and #78 for #8 and #87]

Who won this trade?

• Essendon

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Carlton

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again why would carlton give you pick 7 when we can just draft him at 7 in the nations draft. You’ll get nothing. Hence why uncontracted players don’t go for top 10 picks.

Why would they give pick 7 to Essendon instead of using it in the draft? It’s simple - Essendon already has a tonne of salary cap space, and will have a lot more in the next couple of years with Hooker and Hurley’s big contracts ending. Even Zaharakis is on a decent amount. Then a bit later Heppell too.
If Carlton refused to compensate Essendon and pushed Saad into the draft, it’s pretty obvious what would happen. Dodoro would contact a number of Carlton’s best players over the next few years and give them an offer they couldn’t refuse. If Carlton are prepared to use pick 7 in the draft, they will give that to Essendon rather than spite them. Otherwise it could backfire on them spectacularly. I mean imagine if Carlton were in the middle of their window and then lost one of their most important players to a huge offer from a pissed off Dodo. You really think he wouldn’t do that?
A trade will get done and you’re probably not going to like it.

You offer a big contract to a carlton player, then get ready to pay overs like you expect the blues to pay for saad. Its all relative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0% chance we draft him at 7 because he will fall to our second. Essendon don’t have a second Pick as yet to redraft. Good luck getting Dunkley and Caldwell without pick 7.

Uh huh.

So let me get this straight;

Carlton is going to refuse to trade with EFC.
They'll then take the pick they refused to trade, and not draft Saad with it.
Then, they'll wait for Saad to fall to their second selection, which is 27, and draft him there.
All this will occur without any other club selecting him with any of the 26 picks previous to that pick 27.
And all this will be done just to prove Carlton won't trade with EFC, without having any future repercussions on Carlton's list management or relationships with other clubs.

0% chance sounds about right.

Why would they give pick 7 to Essendon instead of using it in the draft? It’s simple - Essendon already has a tonne of salary cap space, and will have a lot more in the next couple of years with Hooker and Hurley’s big contracts ending. Even Zaharakis is on a decent amount. Then a bit later Heppell too.
If Carlton refused to compensate Essendon and pushed Saad into the draft, it’s pretty obvious what would happen. Dodoro would contact a number of Carlton’s best players over the next few years and give them an offer they couldn’t refuse. If Carlton are prepared to use pick 7 in the draft, they will give that to Essendon rather than spite them. Otherwise it could backfire on them spectacularly. I mean imagine if Carlton were in the middle of their window and then lost one of their most important players to a huge offer from a pissed off Dodo. You really think he wouldn’t do that?

Nice hypothetical empty threat.

Dodo ro has been doing that for years anyways. Who has he extracted? Andrew Phillips LOL

How would Dodoro do that when he’s list managing the coburg under 19s after Saad walls out. He’s not worth 7 never has and never will. 7 is not getting to essendon. A second and a future 2nd is the best you’re getting offered or a Downgrade of 7 to 18 at best. Uncontracted players DONT go for top 10 picks EVER. From what I’ve heard this deal will be done right away which means he’s accepting 27 and a player or a future 2nd.

Uh huh.

So let me get this straight;

Carlton is going to refuse to trade with EFC.
They'll then take the pick they refused to trade, and not draft Saad with it.
Then, they'll wait for Saad to fall to their second selection, which is 27, and draft him there.
All this will occur without any other club selecting him with any of the 26 picks previous to that pick 27.
And all this will be done just to prove Carlton won't trade with EFC, without having any future repercussions on Carlton's list management or relationships with other clubs.

0% chance sounds about right.
Nope. Like SOS said on trade radio this will be driven by the manager who is already pissed at essendons reaction and has said he will walk to the PSD. Carlton has way more cash available to price most out of the market for Saad. I guess north could take him well done if they try.

There’s so many options her for Saad and Carlton it’s not funny. Hence why 7 will never be involved. Dodoro and Essendon have zero legs here. Sorry to say but Essendon are ****ed.

Nice hypothetical empty threat.

Dodo ro has been doing that for years anyways. Who has he extracted? Andrew Phillips LOL

It is about as empty as Carlton supporters suggesting Saad will walk into the national draft only for them to use the same pick Essendon wanted in the first place. Laughable.
And who knows who Essendon might be able to lure with a North style war chest. Maybe Dunkley this year, maybe Cripps next. ;)

Unfortunately for Essendon, pick 7 just became even more valuable with another FA compensation pick for Jeremy Cameron to fall immediately after our selection.

These picks are going to be at a premium. No chance it's involved in a trade for Saad.
There is, IMO, a one percent chance that GWS will not match and force a trade.

How would Dodoro do that when he’s list managing the coburg under 19s after Saad walls out. He’s not worth 7 never has and never will. 7 is not getting to essendon. A second and a future 2nd is the best you’re getting offered or a Downgrade of 7 to 18 at best. Uncontracted players DONT go for top 10 picks EVER. From what I’ve heard this deal will be done right away which means he’s accepting 27 and a player or a future 2nd.

I mean. You only contradicted yourself in the same sentence here.

Nope. Like SOS said on trade radio this will be driven by the manager who is already pissed at essendons reaction and has said he will walk to the PSD. Carlton has way more cash available to price most out of the market for Saad. I guess north could take him well done if they try.

The same SOS who said it was incumbent upon Carlton to get a deal done? That Saad was a clear Top-5 player at EFC? And that if it was Out: 7, In: Saad & Williams, they'd count it a successful off-season.

Sure.

There’s so many options her for Saad and Carlton it’s not funny. Hence why 7 will never be involved. Dodoro and Essendon have zero legs here. Sorry to say but Essendon are f’ed.

Many options indeed, such as Saad for 7. Saad and a pick for 7. 7 to Geelong or Brisbane for 2 x firsts.

Sounds a lot like there's a number of options where 7 is involved.

You haven’t even got a window. Full on brick walls.

Carlton is a model of success over the past 20 years, those in glass houses and such.

The same SOS who said it was incumbent upon Carlton to get a deal done? That Saad was a clear Top-5 player at EFC? And that if it was Out: 7, In: Saad & Williams, they'd count it a successful off-season.

Sure.

Many options indeed, such as Saad for 7. Saad and a pick for 7. 7 to Geelong or Brisbane for 2 x firsts.

Carlton is a model of success over the past 20 years, those in glass houses and such.
You’re slowly coming around I see, good for you.
7 will be involved, but you won’t be having our pick 7 as a direct swap for Adam.
He’s not worth Bailey Smith, not on any planet in the known universe, parallel universes however......

I'm yet to see a single genuine response to why Carlton would hand over pick 7 to Essendon rather than use it in the draft.

Saad's team threatened this from day 1. They knew what games Essendon would play.

There's zero chance you guys get it without something valuable coming along with Saad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure.

Feel free to do some math. Two seconds are valued around 13-17 which is clearly worth more (or is at best - like I mentioned) compared to the other option of pick 18. Feel free not to respond anymore.
On the rest you’re just attacking history because you’re angry at Saad and your club. It’ll get better I promise. Carlton copped it for a very long time. Are still copping it. The main afl board was crowded with Carlton hate comments. Plenty will be Aimed at north and the bombers

Carlton Supporter: "Essendon don't have a leg to stand on"

Carlton Supporter: "Carlton have all the power"

Carlton Supporter: "There is no way pick 7 will be involved for Saad"

Carlton Supporter: "We will just take him in the PSD and Essendon will get nothing"

Deal gets done: 7 for Saad and a second rounder

Carlton Supporter: "Dodoro is a hard to deal with Dog, Essendon should get rid of him"

Carlton Supporter: "Essendon don't have a leg to stand on"

Carlton Supporter: "Carlton have all the power"

Carlton Supporter: "There is no way pick 7 will be involved for Saad"

Carlton Supporter: "We will just take him in the PSD and Essendon will get nothing"

Deal gets done: 7 for Saad and a second rounder

Carlton Supporter: "Dodoro is a hard to deal with Dog, Essendon should get rid of him"
Looks like you’ve got all your strawmen lined up in a lovely little row!👍

There is, IMO, a one percent chance that GWS will not match and force a trade.
I'm curious if anyone knows, for a club to match an offer and force a trade, do they have to physically be able to fit that offer into their cap?
If they don't, what happens if they match and then a trade can't be arranged? It's such an awkward system.

You’re slowly coming around I see

Except I never said I thought it would be Saad for 7.

I'm yet to see a single genuine response to why Carlton would hand over pick 7 to Essendon rather than use it in the draft.

Well, you mean aside from no list manager having ever done it, and that it would burn bridges with every other club. Sure.

you’re angry at Saad and your club

Untrue, I wish Saad all the best, no issue with him wanting to move on, and my life has enough going on that getting 'angry' at a nebulous entity sporting organisation I watch doesn't happen.

Except I never said I thought it would be Saad for 7.
Tell me how we gain from handing over pick 7 and getting a 2nd rounder back?
I don’t care for the points system, it’s as absurd and ludicrous as the compensation makey uppey afl value brigade.

Tell me how we gain from handing over pick 7 and getting a 2nd rounder back?
I don’t care for the points system, it’s as absurd and ludicrous as the compensation makey uppey afl value brigade.

Well, I guess you gain a player that you've clearly pursued and offered reasonable money because of a belief he'd be a valuable addition to your best-22.

Isn't that the whole point of draft picks? You draft a player, hoping that one day, they become a valuable addition to your best-22.

Well, I guess you gain a player that you've clearly pursued and offered reasonable money because of a belief he'd be a valuable addition to your best-22.

Isn't that the whole point of draft picks? You draft a player, hoping that one day, they become a valuable addition to your best-22.
Ok.
He is worth a late first rounder!
Cheers👍

Ok.
He is worth a late first rounder!
Cheers👍

I've said from the outset he's worth a pick in the teens, I'd have said 14 / 15 is about correct weight. Carlton don't have such a pick though, so 7 is likely to be involved in some way, either directly to EFC, or indirectly to another club who does have a pick in the teens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious if anyone knows, for a club to match an offer and force a trade, do they have to physically be able to fit that offer into their cap?
If they don't, what happens if they match and then a trade can't be arranged? It's such an awkward system.
The AFL checks that they can afford the salary in question, but with so many players leaving this year GWS can claim that they can now afford him. IMO it will be interesting to see if the matched offer lines up with GWS’ last offer when they knew they had a chance.

Will this be as effective as his continual asking for Ollie Wines since 2014?

Back