VFL to merge with NEAFL, under-18 comps revamped in massive changes to AFL’s second tier

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs and structure confirmed. 22 clubs, 16 rounds, interstate travel subsidised by the AFL, league's name will remain as the VFL.

Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs (as Footscray) will participate in the league.
Three VFL aligned clubs will return - Sandringham (St Kilda), Box Hill (Hawthorn) and Casey (Melbourne).
There will also be eight stand-alone second-tier clubs, with Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Werribee and Williamstown to continue from the existing VFL.
Aspley and Southport will join the league from the NEAFL while the Preston-based Northern Bullants will return after splitting from Carlton.

Clubs and structure confirmed. 22 clubs, 16 rounds, interstate travel subsidised by the AFL, league's name will remain as the VFL.

Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs (as Footscray) will participate in the league.
Three VFL aligned clubs will return - Sandringham (St Kilda), Box Hill (Hawthorn) and Casey (Melbourne).
There will also be eight stand-alone second-tier clubs, with Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Werribee and Williamstown to continue from the existing VFL.
Aspley and Southport will join the league from the NEAFL while the Preston-based Northern Bullants will return after splitting from Carlton.
they said they will announce the name in the coming weeks though

So now that the VFL won’t exist any longer as they are merged into a new competition, does that mean that those vfl premierships will no longer be added to the club tally of total premierships?

If we don’t include ports premierships as they were a seperate state league then I guess it’s a perfect time to correct the premiership tally and only include the AFL premierships now the vfl doesn’t exist

So now that the VFL won’t exist any longer as they are merged into a new competition, does that mean that those vfl premierships will no longer be added to the club tally of total premierships?

If we don’t include ports premierships as they were a seperate state league then I guess it’s a perfect time to correct the premiership tally and only include the AFL premierships now the vfl doesn’t exist
The vfl is the former vfa. Port Melbourne and Williamstown etc don’t play in the afl. And I’m assuming the northern sides are just going to join the vfl rather a new league created.

The VFL was still a functional competition - the teams joining are joining the VFL after the NEAFL break up therefore as this comp is the VFL with the addition of new sides, Ports league leading premiership tally is still valid.

Unfortunately Port Adelaides premiership tally does not count as they are playing in a different comp and no longer in the SANFL. They cant say that they have 30+ Afl premierships as they were won in the Sanfl.

Anyway theirs only one real Port - Port Melbourne ! 😁

Anyone care to speculate how they will structure the draw? Here is what I'd do to minimise travel but also give some semblance of competition.

Split the teams into four groups:
Northern group - QLD and NSW (6 teams)
VFA group - the stand alone VIC (6 teams)
VFL1 group - half the AFL/VIC (5 teams)
VFL2 group - remaining AFL/VIC (5 teams)

Play your group H&A then the remaining games against teams from the other groups rotating season to season.

Finals could be top 2 from each group or top of each group plus next 4 best but I'd just have a straight knock out finals as maximising games isn't important.

As maximising crowds isn't important so there is no need to keep traditional rivals in the same group, so how would we split the AFL/VIC teams into two groups of 5? (and I think to promote some new rivalries the groups should stay the same season to season).

I'd suggest maybe geographicly, so; geelong, footscray, essendon, north melbourne, carlton in the west group, and; collingwood, richmond, boxhill, casey, sandringham in the east group.

First time since 1987 that it will be a 22 team competition. The least amount of games per team in a season since 2008 when the 14 team competition played 16 rounds. The first time since 2010 that a team outside Victoria has been included in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone care to speculate how they will structure the draw? Here is what I'd do to minimise travel but also give some semblance of competition.

Split the teams into four groups:
Northern group - QLD and NSW (6 teams)
VFA group - the stand alone VIC (6 teams)
VFL1 group - half the AFL/VIC (5 teams)
VFL2 group - remaining AFL/VIC (5 teams)

Play your group H&A then the remaining games against teams from the other groups rotating season to season.

Finals could be top 2 from each group or top of each group plus next 4 best but I'd just have a straight knock out finals as maximising games isn't important.

As maximising crowds isn't important so there is no need to keep traditional rivals in the same group, so how would we split the AFL/VIC teams into two groups of 5? (and I think to promote some new rivalries the groups should stay the same season to season).

I'd suggest maybe geographicly, so; geelong, footscray, essendon, north melbourne, carlton in the west group, and; collingwood, richmond, boxhill, casey, sandringham in the east group.

It will be manipulated to make the most money.

Canberra chose not to enter a team, the NT Thunder chose the leave the NEAFL at the end of 2019

canberra chose not to enter due to funding issues because of covid, not that they didnt want to enter. if the afl are paying travel costs for this competition they could have surely helped them out if only to help grow the game in canberra. its not like they dont have the money.

didnt know nt chose to leave at the end of 19. i just assumed they didnt play last year because the whole comp was called off.

From a Carlton point of view this is a massive step forward having our own team. Identified last year that development was a major weakness. It's why we got Luke Power. Then COVID hit and this year has been a waste for the younger players. Playing 12-14 a side practice games and been a joke.

Expect massive improvement in 2021 from our younger group because of this.

Appointment of a "teaching" coach that can align with Seniors now the priority

Key reason why Blues will play finals in 2021

Why they didn’t do a full comp gets me beat...

At least 18 games min
But is it really meant to be a “competition” in the true sense? Isn’t it just a comp to provide a training run for AFL players not getting a game in the 1sts? I imagine the non-AFL clubs will take it seriously but I can see why it’s a fairly short season which will have a heavily biased draw.

Just pathetic really

A embarassment to Gil and his cronies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back