List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been saying that for years

People were wondering when we would fall off a cliff, when the Hawks would, etc. Every dynasty comes to an end. But the Cats have done well extending theirs. Personally I think when Dangerfield slows down is when they start sliding. They have so many guys around that 29-31 age bracket that eventually it will reach critical mass. But Dangerfield will be the trigger in my opinion as he's the most difficult to replace.

People were wondering when we would fall off a cliff, when the Hawks would, etc. Every dynasty comes to an end. But the Cats have done well extending theirs. Personally I think when Dangerfield slows down is when they start sliding. They have so many guys around that 29-31 age bracket that eventually it will reach critical mass. But Dangerfield will be the trigger in my opinion as he's the most difficult to replace.
they just seem to keep it going
No fluke

they just seem to keep it going
No fluke
No, they are one of the best run clubs in the league. But they have missed finals the same number of times that we have in the last 20 years... that was no fluke either.

At one point a proper rebuild will need to come, though, there are too many equalisation measures for it not to. It happened to us and the Hawks, it is going to happen to them too.

Not only is it no fluke, it's also the best servicing of their fans any fanbase could ask for imo. Squeeze as much out of the playing list/salary cap to remain as competitive as possible.
Like we have done. We are keeping our players & getting the most out of them.
We've gotten 3 or 4 more years out of Buddy than Hawks would have. No doubt about it.

I think the Cats are doing the right thing chasing a flag rather than trying to rebuild. They have still got Hawkins, Selwood and Dangerfield in their 30s and a core of players in their late 20s. They are still going to the draft so they are picking up young players each year.

Smith is not a bad option to give them outside run.

No, they are one of the best run clubs in the league. But they have missed finals the same number of times that we have in the last 20 years... that was no fluke either.

At one point a proper rebuild will need to come, though, there are too many equalisation measures for it not to. It happened to us and the Hawks, it is going to happen to them too.

This is the extension of what I posted before. You can't keep it going forever but the best clubs can keep it going for a long, long time. And then when they inevitably have to rebuild (as Geelong will probably do in about 2-3 years time), I'll back them like us to not be down the bottom for too long.

This is the extension of what I posted before. You can't keep it going forever but the best clubs can keep it going for a long, long time. And then when they inevitably have to rebuild (as Geelong will probably do in about 2-3 years time), I'll back them like us to not be down the bottom for too long.
I'd agree with that too. While equalisation is in place to keep things as fair as possible and to try and avoid a small number of teams being perennially dominant, it is unavoidable that there will be teams in the league that for whatever reason are simply better run, create better club culture both on and off the field, and so will be successful for longer periods of time and will be able to rebuild quicker when they do have to drop down. Fortunately as Swans supporters we are one of those clubs.

That can still change of course. Once succesful teams can hit the bottom and stay down (Carlton and Essendon have been dire in the 21st centuries), but they can also get back to the top (like Richmond have done recently). And obviously for much of our clubs history, both as South Melbourne and for the first decade or so in Sydney, we were not one of those succesful, well run clubs. It is possible we could regress again, but I'd say there isn't any real reason to think that is currently happening.

If I was a Geelong supporter I don't know how I would feel about Isaac Smith.

I think Geelong are good, but the continual extension of their premiership window (which is barely open in the first place imo) is rather risky.

Maybe I'm stupid, because I would of probably wanted the swans to do the same thing, but I do think Geelong are in for a lot of hurt in 2-3 years.

Higgens, Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Touhy, Steven, Stanley, Blicavs, Duncan, Rohan, Henderson are all going to be 30+ next year, and all are best 22, that's even ignoring Menegola, Dalhaus, and Guthrie who are all 29 next year, and Cameron who will be 28.

That means that in about 3 years they are going to have to find replacements for half their best 22, and not only replacements, replacements of some really good players.

Although they can do this, and I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed on the top of the ladder next year, I would be equally unsurprised if just 2-4 players drop of next year and cause a bit of a domino reaction on the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention that they are not even close to Richmond in any of their games this year, or the prelim last year.
Richmond basically gave them a 4-5 goal head start in both finals and then calmly ran over them.

I don't know what they have to change, and maybe Smith and Higgens are the answer, but somehow I doubt it.

Not to mention that they are not even close to Richmond in any of their games this year, or the prelim last year.
Richmond basically gave them a 4-5 goal head start in both finals and then calmly ran over them.

I don't know what they have to change, and maybe Smith and Higgens are the answer, but somehow I doubt it.

I've thought the same about recruiting Smith for Geelong. Not sure they need him when they have multiple very good wingmen already (Menegola, Duncan, Tuohy to name 3) and he's very close to the twilight of his career. I pay the ambition to go get him but not sure where he'll be playing that will give them a real boost over what they have now.

Cameron isn’t a bad player

2nd fiddle to the Coleman winner

If I was a Geelong supporter I don't know how I would feel about Isaac Smith.

I think Geelong are good, but the continual extension of their premiership window (which is barely open in the first place imo) is rather risky.

Maybe I'm stupid, because I would of probably wanted the swans to do the same thing, but I do think Geelong are in for a lot of hurt in 2-3 years.

Higgens, Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Touhy, Steven, Stanley, Blicavs, Duncan, Rohan, Henderson are all going to be 30+ next year, and all are best 22, that's even ignoring Menegola, Dalhaus, and Guthrie who are all 29 next year, and Cameron who will be 28.

That means that in about 3 years they are going to have to find replacements for half their best 22, and not only replacements, replacements of some really good players.

Although they can do this, and I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed on the top of the ladder next year, I would be equally unsurprised if just 2-4 players drop of next year and cause a bit of a domino reaction on the team.

I'd be pretty nervous as a Geelong supporter about Higgins and Smith coming in to an already old team, possibly Cameron too, though having three first round draft picks this year would calm me a little. There will probably be a point in around 3 seasons as you say, where they lose a lot of their best players all at once and will have to undertake a pretty major rebuild, but if they draft well this year then that could be somewhat mitigated, and if it brings them a Premiership it will be considered worth it regardless...

Cameron isn’t a bad player

2nd fiddle to the Coleman winner
Cameron is very good, and imo, that's the only guy I would be really excited for as a Geelong supporter, but it looks like they'll be giving up a few 20-24 year olds and a few draft picks. And Cameron showed this year that if the team is bad, then he is bad, so he'll be good for as long as Geelong can maintain dominance.

But hell, what do I know, they could get the next 3 premierships and that leaves me looking like an idiot.

Wouldn't be the first time.

I'd be pretty nervous as a Geelong supporter about Higgins and Smith coming in to an already old team, possibly Cameron too, though having three first round draft picks this year would calm me a little. There will probably be a point in around 3 seasons as you say, where they lose a lot of their best players all at once and will have to undertake a pretty major rebuild, but if they draft well this year then that could be somewhat mitigated, and if it brings them a Premiership it will be considered worth it regardless...
How many of those draft picks will they have after the Cameron deal?

Also they are getting rid of Narkle, Constable, and Nakia Cockatoo. Maybe also Ratugolea.

No matter what they are going have a net exodus of youth this year, in picks and kids. It'll be interesting to see how it affects them.

IMO we would have been Geelong if not for the trade ban, and it'll be interesting to see how this almost lab test will go. Can a team constantly stay at the top? Maybe.

If I were a supporter I'd want them to have a crack at it. They'll always get in free agents, so worry about it in two years when they're due to crash. Higgins, Smith on 2 year deals so no biggie - they'll get far more value out of them then we have with Buddy over the last few - and probably the next few tbh.
Higgins, Cameron, Smith = BIG chance next year IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back