Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Smacks of Brad Scott, seems like an educated generalist.

I'd like to know more about his specific coaching roles at each club and whether he's been responsible for line coaching or any area where success or failure could be linked to him.

Various 'director' type roles probably don't really pile singular pressure on an incumbent in the same way as being a midfield or senior coach.
True yeah, but our biggest issue for over a decade has been between our ears. Maybe we need to something different to fix it.

Is Barrett just being a campaigner here or does he have a point? What was he saying after round 2 when Rhyce had coached a list that no one at all rated to a record of 10 and 5?

AFL Media’s Damian Barrett has questioned why North Melbourne board member Glenn Archer has been named on the club’s selection panel to find their next coach.

The Kangaroos announced a “well-rounded” coaching selection panel that includes football director Archer, premiership coach Paul Roos, CEO Ben Amarfi, GM of Football Brady Rawlings, board member Sonja Hood and Centre for Leadership Advantage co-founder and director, Terry Coyne.

North Melbourne has reportedly drawn up a shortlist of 10 candidates to replace the departed Rhyce Shaw.

Speaking on AFL Trade Radio’s The Late Trade, Barrett slammed North’s “cowboy process” to identify Shaw as Brad Scott’s replacement.

Club great Archer and chairman Ben Buckley were part of a five-person panel that appointed Shaw as interim coach last year.

“It’s unthinkable for the North Melbourne Football Club to have Glenn Archer as part of its committee to find a new coach,” Barrett said.

“I feel it’s only marginally more logical to have Roos chairman Ben Buckley on that same committee as well. Buckley and Archer have had their chances with such tasks - and they’ve failed.

“They extended Brad Scott’s contract as coach only to ship him out with a year and a half to go (on his contract).

“They then ran a cowboy process to find his replacement making Hail Mary calls to a few of their old mates in Simmo (Adam Simpson), Horse (John Longmire) and Clarko (Alastair Clarkson) - all those guys understandably said no in a heartbeat.

“All too smart to join their cowboy operation and a so-called thorough process then unveiled interim coach Rhyce Shaw as the man they were after.

“And like Scott in 2020, Shaw in 2021 will be paid by North Melbourne Football Club to not coach the North Melbourne Football Club – as will a lot of assistant coaches who have also been appointed and axed under their watch.

“It’s only club money though, isn’t it?

“No other business in the world would allow so many mistakes to not only be allowed but tolerated and ultimately ignored.

“And hiding behind the appointment of Paul Roos on this latest North Melbourne committee to find a new coach is simply a cop out – an attempt at good PR when the only thing that is needed is good management.”

Archer played 311 games for North Melbourne winning two premierships in 1996 and 1999.

Port Adelaide assistant coach Michael Voss has been linked to the vacant Roos job
I’m confused! Why is a news reporter now being reported AS the news.
He‘s level of journalism is laughable. He would be right at home writing for the Truth.

Williams will do fine for me. He has the requisite experience, has only recently been out of the AFL system but has still been coaching at VFL level. Also a very strong character who sounds to have mellowed a bit with age.

Overall I think he would have a pretty nice balance of wisdom, experience, and competitiveness.

EDIT: He's been through both the best of times and worst of times as an AFL coach too. I think that's invaluable in a lot of ways.
It's been nearly as long for him as for us in terms of Premiership glory so I imagine he is hungry as well.

There is an added bonus to Williams. When he coached Port to a flag Chop was playing. He has kids coming on soon.

I’ll pretend that accomplishment carries weight.

There would be 50+ assistant coaches in the AFL....whom and how do you judge 1 being the best of the lot?

Anyways....let’s say Shaw wasn’t the care-taker coach last year but still applied for the senior position. Would he have still been picked to be the senior coach?
Anyway let’s say that a current assistant coach who was rated as the worse assistant coach applied would he be a chance.

Shortened from $6 this morning.
Kent Kingsley. Kicked a bag. Yes from me.

Shortened from $6 this morning.

yep massive rumour doing the rounds last night that he was leading so not surprised with the $3.50 this morning. If he is appointed you would think Paul Roos will stay on. I would love Williams though. We would get an immediate impact on and off the field

So Kingsley was an assistant at St Kilda from 2010 to 2019 when they were for the most part - rubbish. He walks in to the well oiled Richmond system for one year, and the magic is just going to rub off?

Let’s just hope he’s not our favoured candidate because he’s spent a year at Richmond, but because we’ve thoroughly assessed his rounded capabilities as a motivator, man manager, strategist and master game day tactician.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

yep massive rumour doing the rounds last night that he was leading so not surprised with the $3.50 this morning. If he is appointed you would think Paul Roos will stay on. I would love Williams though. We would get an immediate impact on and off the field

Info from NMFC has been tight so far and rightly so given the thirst of the tabloid media to feed of our carcass, I think speculation is simply media hype.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schofield looks very promising. Solid undergraduate runs, would suit Roos and doesn't have baggage or expectation. I'm leaning towards him from a completely uneducated position.

So Kingsley was an assistant at St Kilda from 2010 to 2019 when they were for the most part - rubbish. He walks in to the well oiled Richmond system for one year, and the magic is just going to rub off?

Let’s just hope he’s not our favoured candidate because he’s spent a year at Richmond, but because we’ve thoroughly assessed his rounded capabilities as a motivator, man manager, strategist and master game day tactician.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I get where you're coming from but if his reputation as a coach was so closely linked with St Kilda's team success during his time there why would Richmond bring him on board as an assistant? Surely they'd also pick up on the fact St Kilda weren't exactly dominant over his time there either and totally disregard him as an option?

Anyway I'm not leaning in any particular direction regarding the coaching appointment and I'm willing to back in the process, but I've seen a potential Kingsley appointment criticised for his time at St Kilda a number of times now and struggle to understand why Richmond would then bring him on board if he wasn't held in high regard.

I get where you're coming from but if his reputation as a coach was so closely linked with St Kilda's team success during his time there why would Richmond bring him on board as an assistant? Surely they'd also pick up on the fact St Kilda weren't exactly dominant over his time there either and totally disregard him as an option?

Anyway I'm not leaning in any particular direction regarding the coaching appointment and I'm willing to back in the process, but I've seen a potential Kingsley appointment criticised for his time at St Kilda a number of times now and struggle to understand why Richmond would then bring him on board if he wasn't held in high regard.
I get that - but I mean we brought in Jade Rawlings 🤣. I do like Kingsley though. Very highly regarded. Don’t forget he was at St Kilda for that period they looked super dangerous under Richo. Anyone remember that game against the Tigers at Etihad?

Kent Kingsley. Kicked a bag. Yes from me.

Mate of mine rings me yesterday and says “ Kingsley, is that the campaigner that used to play for us?”

Assistants move to a club because, supposedly, they and the senior coach have similar ethos to how the game should be played. plus that club might want glean info from where that assistant has been.

I don't think a mental health episode and a pandemic should re-write history. It seemed the right appointment at the time and anyone that wasn't involved in the process directly wouldn't really have any basis to say that it wasn't.

Coaches fail for a variety of reasons and they will fail for as long as professional sport is played. There's no guarantee that a different process this time around with yield a different result either.

I still reckon there was a ripper coach in Shaw once he'd gotten a couple of seasons under his belt, but sadly we'll never know.
Agree.

Shaw inherited list cloggers. Team forced (like others) into never before seen Hub - no one handled it well. Club obviously looking at moving on cloggers, add injuries to KP.

Gameplan became kick down the line as we lacked speed & class. Fwd line delivery was abysmal.

Pressure on Shaw was obviously immense.

Challenge for 2021 is to find a leader who can solve that (including potentially still being in a hub.....)

I'm a black person you fu**en idiot.

You're the one who brought this up in a thread about the new coach.

Maybe you should just piss off.

Well man I’m shocked to be here , I have a mental picture of every poster.
And here’s yours ......
1604091194112.png
A fun happy go lucky dude. Who loves dogs.
Wait til you see my mental imagine of king Corey- Lordy me !!

Well man I’m shocked to be here , I have a mental picture of every poster.
And here’s yours ......
View attachment 999332
A fun happy go lucky dude. Who loves dogs.
Wait til you see my mental imagine of king Corey- Lordy me !!
I'd hate to think of your image of me...

I’m confused! Why is a news reporter now being reported AS the news.
He‘s level of journalism is laughable. He would be right at home writing for the Truth.
Iam surprised it takes him at least a full page of text to imply that the appointment of Shawry was a failure. I don't think anyone could have predicted his mental issues. The result IMO had a fair bearing on out list having no depth. the list is being addressed and wasn't Shawrys doing in the first instance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back