Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this might interest you guys:

I knew I'd read this somewhere, and finally tracked it down.

While a ton of news reports speculated over the 300K amount, this is what Collingwood said they were prepared to pay:

Collingwood is prepared to pay as much as $100,000 of Adam Treloar’s salary if a trade can be completed

32461bc11a8f92f148248c49ba976a3c

"St Kilda on Friday ruled itself out as a bidder for Treloar, but Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs are among the clubs to leave the door open.Collingwood has told clubs it would be prepared to pay as much as $100,000 of Adam Treloar’s salary as Victorian teams quietly circle the elite Pies midfielder.

Treloar is yet to meet with a rival club despite reports on Friday and those clubs are yet to make any bid for Treloar let alone offer him a contract.
He remains in limbo as the Pies try to find a suitor, with many still non-starters because of a $4.5 million deal over five seasons.

The Herald Sun understands Collingwood had made clear to clubs that it would be prepared to wear as much as $100,000 of that $900,000 average salary over the life of the contract.

Clubs might push for the Pies to pay even more of his salary – even up to $150,000 per year – if they can come up with a trade that also suits Collingwood.

While his contract is back-ended at Collingwood, a new club could restructure it in any way they see fit as long as Treloar was not short-changed"

While a ton of news reports speculated over the 300K amount, this is what Collingwood said they were prepared to pay:

Collingwood is prepared to pay as much as $100,000 of Adam Treloar’s salary if a trade can be completed

"St Kilda on Friday ruled itself out as a bidder for Treloar, but Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs are among the clubs to leave the door open.Collingwood has told clubs it would be prepared to pay as much as $100,000 of Adam Treloar’s salary as Victorian teams quietly circle the elite Pies midfielder.

Treloar is yet to meet with a rival club despite reports on Friday and those clubs are yet to make any bid for Treloar let alone offer him a contract.
He remains in limbo as the Pies try to find a suitor, with many still non-starters because of a $4.5 million deal over five seasons.

The Herald Sun understands Collingwood had made clear to clubs that it would be prepared to wear as much as $100,000 of that $900,000 average salary over the life of the contract.

Clubs might push for the Pies to pay even more of his salary – even up to $150,000 per year – if they can come up with a trade that also suits Collingwood.

While his contract is back-ended at Collingwood, a new club could restructure it in any way they see fit as long as Treloar was not short-changed"

That's what they said publicly which may or may not bear any resemblance to where the deal ended up.

If that’s the case someone has their wires crossed as Barrett has said something completely different! I hate Barrett and his point of view/comments more but one thing is that his “mail” over the last few years has been spot on/in the ball park.

That's from the start of trade period, well before serious negotiations began

also a real possibility that this trade might get canceled by the AFL if this doesn’t get resolved by tomorrow
All parties stuck between a rock and a hard place I think.
Pies.... Can’t fit him in cap and have finalised contracts on others. Can’t delist AT as he’s contracted.
Dogs.... Can back away if written terms not met but and verbal or via zoom going to be hard to prove. Given AT hads already done press and we’ve rolled him out in a jumper it wouldn’t be a great look let alone good for AT’s mental well-being.
AFL..... Can’t be seen to be assisting with payments and couldn’t expand our cap. Giving AT a “media” deal or “job” within the AFL to substitute salary not only goes against the “Judd” rule but would cause an uproar amongst other clubs and open up a precedence. I guess their integrity department could run there eyes over it and tick anything off 😜 given their history with tanking, phones, etc.
AT...is entitled to every cent given how he’s continually restructured his contract to assist the Pies. Should be expected to earn some of it outside normal footy stuff. Maybe he could claim damages for mental stress over this mess from the AFL to cover any gap. Surely Gordon and the AFL could work around this with a confidential payout.
The last part started in jest but the more I think about it the more it would save face all around. Only issue is a precedent for others.

Two points on the Treloar deal/pay shemozzle:
- from reports at the time and again yesterday, ALL clubs that inquired about Treloar were under the same assumption as we were about how much Pies were prepared to stump up, so might be hard for Pies to argue if universal understanding matched ours, not their version now.
- dogwatch posted a breakdown of Treloar's projected 5 year salary (sorry dogwatch can't remember which thread, maybe even this one?) and it was only a max of $300k from Pies for the $900 year (2021?) - so they were only paying the excess over $600k in any one year, but came to only about 600-700k total from memory (some years he was reported as only earning 600-700 anyway). It's never been $1.5m from Pies, as that implies he would be earning 900k every year of the 5 years.
Think you’ll find it’s 4.5m total. Given it’s believed to be around 750 for 2021 then an increased 2022 putting later years over the 900k. Off the contract averages at 900k the average for pies is 300k. My earlier post just used examples but unless we agreed to “x” amount per year from Pies it’s a mess resulting in us having to play around with other contracts. If just a bulk figure agreed then the problem is all ours and the Pies well within their rights to pay as it suits their cap.

Here's how I understand our current position:

We can have 36-38 senior list players next year, 4-6 cat A rookies and 2 cat b rookies.

Makes financial sense to maximise flexibility and rookie spots, so we go 36-6-2.

If we lock in Roarke as a rookie relist and Buku as a cat b relist (by all accounts will happen), that leaves us currently at 34 senior spots, 3 cat a rookies (Gardner, Sweet, Roarke) and 1 cat b (Khamis).

So we have 2 senior spots, 3 cat a and 1 cat b left to fill predraft.

Jamarra will be a senior, ideally Ewan Mac a rookie and Raak a cat b.

That leaves us with 1 further unaligned senior pick and 2 cat a rookie picks (possibly Cavarra and/or Hayes).

Is that how others see the current position?
Bevo did mention 36 in his chat on SEN yesterday, got me thinking exactly this

The rookie list has indeed become a joke. Gold Coast has moved Jarrod Harbrow, Jack Hombsch, Jackson Thurlow and Zac Smith to their rookie list. Most clubs will be trying to do similar but the whole concept and meaning of the term 'rookie' has been bastardised.
Jackson Thurlow was a Sydney player so it would be odd to find him on the Gold Coast rookie list.

Yeah I agree I think the rookie list is redundant. If the main purpose is to have 80k salary sitting outside the cap why not just scrap the rookie list, have 6 extra senior spots and increase the cap by 480k?
Main reason that i can see is it's easier to cut a rookie, but definitely not really a "Rookie" list any longer

Now that the DFA period is open I think that Paddy McCartin might be worth a try as the KPD that we need. Has the size and mobility and as a Defender is less likely for a reoccurring incident of concussion.
Reckon its worth a punt could be a gun defender, could also be a miserable failure give it a go Dogs !

I've mentioned him a few times already, but surely if our last Rookie pick goes on a DFA as a safeguard to balance up our list, for my money it has to be Majak Daw.

His last year as a permanent kpd, 2018, he was rated by Champion Data as an elite intercept mark, is big and athletic enough to pinch hit as a Ruck and is apparently very keen to extend his career.

Just makes too much sense to ignore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've mentioned him a few times already, but surely if our last Rookie pick goes on a DFA as a safeguard to balance up our list, for my money it has to be Majak Daw.

His last year as a permanent kpd, 2018, he was rated by Champion Data as an elite intercept mark, is big and athletic enough to pinch hit as a Ruck and is apparently very keen to extend his career.

Just makes too much sense to ignore.
I’d prefer Skinner but I’d love this type on our list.

It’s honestly bizarre that this wasn’t sorted on the night.
It's like when you go to a resteraunt hungry and money is no issue, but when the bill comes its like no way. They verbally agreed at least to the amount, now he is off their list, they are saying why that amount are we paying now.

Power seems like a stubborn bastard, I'm not sure he backs off on this.

I also don't think Guy is in a position to accept the original offer. Paying 300k a year of Treloar's salary was mad at the time and it's no better now that members are calling in to complain. If we don't reach an agreement the trade shouldn't go through but I can see the AFL stepping in a forcing a solution.
No it wasn't mad at the time, they were getting rid of 450 grand a year by paying the 300, now they want to pay less now he is with us.

I refuse to believe that Sam Power, who was a practicing lawyer, would agree to any trade for Treloar unless Collingwood had agreed to pay a certain amount of his contract and that agreement was binding. Something about this story does not add up. I can't imagine a universe in which Collingwood can tell us they are going to pay a certain amount of the contract and then once the trade goes through they can renege.
That's exactly what they are trying to do.

No it wasn't mad at the time, they were getting rid of 450 grand a year by paying the 300, now they want to pay less now he is with us.
I think what they were saving was a fair bit more than that. His contract was reported to be heavily back end loaded. He agreed to that to help them out and they still shafted him.

Jackson Thurlow was a Sydney player so it would be odd to find him on the Gold Coast rookie list.
My mistake, I meant Jordan Murdoch - they come from the same stable. :rolleyes:

He's not on our books yet mate. The trade hasn't officially been lodged. Technically he is still on Collingwood's books until an agreement is reached and the paperwork is finalised.

Is this official? I’ve asked a few times and no one has replied haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back