2020 Formula One

Remove this Banner Ad

Great start in practice by Russell. Qualifying will be interesting.

I'll reserve my thoughts about what it would mean to the legacy of Hamilton and my opinion of Bottas if Russell does well in this race until after it has played out.

This. Very much this.

Anyone would win in the best car... If we assume that's true and we assume one victory is enough data to form a definite judgement (btw, such an argument is dismissive of how good Russell is), we could dismiss the achievements of any top driver in a scenario where anyone else stepped into their car and won. Imagine Yannick Dalmas replacing one of McLaren drivers in 88 for one race and winning it. Would anyone question the ability of Senna or Prost? We're they not only winning comfortably because they had a vastly superior car?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
Mika Salo did so well in replacement of Schumacher. As did DC in place of Senna in cars capable of winning.

Mika Salo did so well in replacement of Schumacher. As did DC in place of Senna in cars capable of winning.
Thanks for helping my point. The ability of the driver makes an impact. Not everyone can step into even a quality car and be competitive, let alone win, and that's after several races and opportunities to do so. Heck, Jos Verstappen had many races behind the wheel of the 94 Bennetton and was waaaaay off the pace. Assuming that winners *only* win because they have the best car isn't showing the whole picture.

Salo was hot'n'cold at Ferrari. I can't imagine how the internet would explode with his crap qualifying at I think Hungary and Austria.

Mika Hakkinen outqualified Senna in his first race as a fill in at Portugal in 93. The significance of Russell's performance is overhyped I think because people are baying for Bottas' blood.

Bottas had a quick lap time deleted for track limits, and was purple in Sectors 2 and 3.
I think you will find him to be quicker than Russel once we get into Quali.
It wouldn't surprise me. Bottas is often quicker than Hamilton in practice and sometimes in Q1 or Q2, we might well be looking at the reverse, and once everything gets hooked up, he'll be quicker.

After all, Russell was barely quicker than Verstappen on a track where engine power matters more than most. Naturally this performance in practice becomes the ultimate benchmark of Russell's ability, Hamilton's ability, and Bottas' ability.

Thanks for helping my point. The ability of the driver makes an impact. Not everyone can step into even a quality car and be competitive, let alone win, and that's after several races and opportunities to do so. Heck, Jos Verstappen had many races behind the wheel of the 94 Bennetton and was waaaaay off the pace. Assuming that winners *only* win because they have the best car isn't showing the whole picture.

Did nothing to prove your point. Did everything to prove mine. Guy steps in and tops both practices, same as Hamilton who is severely overrated. Like his pole to win ratio

Did nothing to prove your point. Did everything to prove mine. Guy steps in and tops both practices, same as Hamilton who is severely overrated. Like his pole to win ratio
So pointing out occasions where guys have stepped into good cars and failed to make an impact, somehow *helps* your argument that it's only about the car and driver ability has no impact? And that drawing all of these conclusions from two practice sessions is somehow logical (because we all know two practice runs outweighs a decade of results, the opinions of other drivers etc)?

Love the melts about the goat an argument that can never be won. Like who you like. dont like who you don't like. All that's gone this year pretty stupid to be arguing who the best at driving a car around a circuit is.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottas had a quick lap time deleted for track limits, and was purple in Sectors 2 and 3.
I think you will find him to be quicker than Russel once we get into Quali.
Everything Bottas gained on that lap he lost by being unable to keep it within the limits, if he has to back off he loses 3 tenths and ends up a tenth off russell anyway. You are also assuming Russell won't get quicker with more time in the car which is highly unlikely. I can see there being a comfortable 3-4 tenths between them tonight.

It’s not as simple as Russell beating valteri and the rest and makes Lewis’s achievements null and void.
Looking at it like that is way too simplistic.
He’s been the best if not the best in clearly the best car that will always lead to dominance ala McLaughlin
It depends how far he beats Bottas by and if he gets another chance and does it again. I'd be telling Hamilton you can have 5mil or we will give Russell your seat if he dominates this weekend, no sense wasting the money on something that isn't required and Lewis can't win anywhere else.

It depends how far he beats Bottas by and if he gets another chance and does it again. I'd be telling Hamilton you can have 5mil or we will give Russell your seat if he dominates this weekend, no sense wasting the money on something that isn't required and Lewis can't win anywhere else.
There is absolutely no chance Mercedes get rid of Hamilton. He’s consistently fast, makes minimal mistakes and salvages points from bad positions. He’s their dream driver and they aren’t going to risk it all to save some cash.

Also we should probably wait and see how Russell goes in qualifying and the race this weekend before declaring him the next world champion.

There is absolutely no chance Mercedes get rid of Hamilton. He’s consistently fast, makes minimal mistakes and salvages points from bad positions. He’s their dream driver and they aren’t going to risk it all to save some cash.

Also we should probably wait and see how Russell goes in qualifying and the race this weekend before declaring him the next world champion.

You could put already put vandoorne in the number 2 seat behind bottas and Merc would still be winning both titles, that is a fact.

No one's in a rush to label Russell a wdc, simple fact remains there is half a dozen drivers at minimum would be be multiple wdc driving that car.

You could put already put vandoorne in the number 2 seat behind bottas and Merc would still be winning both titles, that is a fact.

No one's in a rush to label Russell a wdc, simple fact remains there is half a dozen drivers at minimum would be be multiple wdc driving that car.
Neither of those things are facts. It’s obviously the fastest car and the majority of drivers would win races in it but winning championships is an entirely different thing. Lewis has been dominant all season but switch a couple of his wins to outside the points and give them to Bottas or even Max and things are a lot tighter.

I don’t think Bottas is in the top few drivers on the grid but his performance is probably what you’d get from most of the field in that car. Max, Ric and Lec would be faster but they’d need to become more consistent to match the results Hamilton gets.

Reality is Hamilton keeps winning races and titles and they will keep paying him to do it until either his results drop off or he decides he’s had enough.

Probably more impressive than Championships is winning your head to head battles with your direct teammate. It really is the only accurate measure and even then there is #1 and #2 driver bias. Hamiltons been beaten only once in his career i believe so he is no doubt one of the best of all time (and Rosberg got lucky with retirements the year he beat Lewis). It would be interesting to see all of todays current drivers plus some of the icons (Senna, Lauda, Prost, Mansell, Schumacher) to see what their Head-to-head results are against each teammate over the duration of their careers.

Ricciardo for instance has only had 1 season he didnt beat his teammate which was against Verstappen in his last season at Red Bull. Did Senna ever lose against a teammate?

Solid race for Mick Schumacher in the F2. Finished 7th + fastest lap after starting 18th and with the reverse grid for the second race will start 2nd tomorrow.

With only 15 points for the win in race two (+2 points fastest lap) he has all but locked in a F2 and F3 championship (the previous Euro) before he enters F1 next season.

Solid race for Mick Schumacher in the F2. Finished 7th + fastest lap after starting 18th and with the reverse grid for the second race will start 2nd tomorrow.

With only 15 points for the win in race two (+2 points fastest lap) he has all but locked in a F2 and F3 championship (the previous Euro) before he enters F1 next season.

Yep was a good race with a fair amount of wheel to wheel action.

Though there was one moment when someone moved across in front of another driver after turn 3 in a very similar fashion to GRO last week, that had my heart in my mouth

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep was a good race with a fair amount of wheel to wheel action.

Though there was one moment when someone moved across in front of another driver after turn 3 in a very similar fashion to GRO last week, that had my heart in my mouth

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Could very definitely be wrong but was that Mazepin? I remember him being a bit aggressive in his defending at one point.

Edit: Haha yeah I reckon that was very likely Mazepin, investigated for four incidents in today's race... and penalised for two including the one I think you are referring to.

I was trying to keep an open mind about him after seeing the posts in this thread but the guy ain't making it easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back