List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

His read, agility and goal sense all look good, which is more important than burst speed imo.

My concern would be he doesn't look to be a particularly long kick nor confident on his left - would pass if he can't kick a set shot from 40m but otherwise I don't mind the look of him.

He's a poor man's Gibbons.

Yea, I'd be projecting Poulter to be a similar player to Setterfield. They'd be competing for the same spot. Don't see Cripps, Setterfield and Poulter playing in the same midfield.

Someone like O'Driscoll would be a better fit as an inside midfielder if we were trading up the order.

If we were to take a midfielder, we better take one with plenty of tricks as otherwise, he'll have a lot of hurdles to jump over to get into our starting midfield. We already have a queue of mids that either have had to find a new home, or will have to find a new home elsewhere on the ground and we've just take on Williams to play a midfield role for us, also.

A small forward will come into play somewhere, which wouldn't be a bad idea with Betts still around.
We'll see soon enough.

If we were to take a midfielder, we better take one with plenty of tricks as otherwise, he'll have a lot of hurdles to jump over to get into our starting midfield. We already have a queue of mids that either have had to find a new home, or will have to find a new home elsewhere on the ground and we've just take on Williams to play a midfield role for us, also.

A small forward will come into play somewhere, which wouldn't be a bad idea with Betts still around.
We'll see soon enough.

The advantage O'Driscoll has over other mids is that he's also established himself as a high quality half back with line breaking pace.

If he doesn't play midfield, it gives us another option to push either SPS or Williamson up into the middle. In particular, Williamson moving up onto a wing, which is a position we seem to be lacking quality depth given Walsh should be playing more on the inside.

Nice summary. Look, Henry Walsh is a very good ruckman, but that's what he is. The question you need to ask is do we need a pure tap ruckman or do we need a ruck/forward type?

Because his ceiling playing up forward is probably similar to that of Pittonet.

On a side note, the difference between Neale and Cameron is that Neale more athletic. Cameron's more your Dean Cox type. Neale is more your Casboult type.

Really should provide a better comparison than Casboult, but the reality is he'd be a great replacement for him.
Any videos of Neale available?

The advantage O'Driscoll has over other mids is that he's also established himself as a high quality half back with line breaking pace.

If he doesn't play midfield, it gives us another option to push either SPS or Williamson up into the middle. In particular, Williamson moving up onto a wing, which is a position we seem to be lacking quality depth given Walsh should be playing more on the inside.

As demonstrated recently, we have quite a young squad that's now going to spend quite a bit of time together......all being well.

Again, there are many ways to go about managing a list but it's evident as to what our process has been.
1. Stack plenty of young talent by clearing the old and going to the draft.
2. Once we've got a few years into those young guys, it's time to really target absolute needs - which we did the past two years.

Nothing revolutionary here but there is a plan in place and we've strictly followed through with that plan.
We have not deviated at all, having taken on players Williams, Martin and Saad that makes us immediately better, whilst just missing on Coniglio & Papley
We really have only a couple of senior players that we'd miss sorely should they not be there - 1. Jones 2. ECurnow.
The likes of Murphy, Betts and Casboult are much easier to replace and our team isn't relying on them nearly as much as we may have a couple of years back.

You want to get the best players to the club, but sometimes the 'inferior' talent may be more important to the whole than simply the perceived better player.
That inferior talent satisfying a need and one that is more likely to be afforded opportunity.

Unless there's a huge gap between talent, I wouldn't be looking at a mid.
I'd be looking at speedy goal-kickers, solid KPD's and a project ruckman....right now.
That may change by years end, but it's evident that we need to be looking at plugging up some of those holes in the not too distant future.

We have to be careful not to just grab mids for the sake of it, unless they're genuinely 'special' and can offer something we don't have on the books.

These 2 are my boy's

I’d take Fraser Rosman at our first pick seems like a Charlie Curnow clone.

Has huge upside, could be one of the best in the draft

Also Ginnivan, has huge upside as a small/medium forward/ mid knows where the goals are and can kick many of them.
Plays at same club as my son, although a little older.

Last edited:
Some handy players amongst. Yeo, Dumont, Maynard, Hamling & Fritsch with high hopes for own TDK.

Was hopeful for Tom Lamb at one stage. If the WCE’s can’t get a player going, it doesn’t bode well.
Wow you mention players like the above but leave out a guy that runs down judd kicks major goals in finals and GF and has 2 time premiership player
:oops:

Smythes has us taking winder trew n Collins in final phantom
Re Winder attributes..
Ground level work, athleticism, bursts away from packs, use of the ball by hand, link up play, ferocity at the ball or man with the ball, and reading of play, X factor and leap. He is, in my eyes one of the best smalls this year with huge upside In the right environment at a professional level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any videos of Neale available?

If you go to the first page of the draft thread, there's a full match replay of Team Brown vs Team Dal Santo (last years curtain raiser).

Neale is #35 for Team Brown. You'll see him running around in the ruck.

He moves gracefully and covers the ground very well. He presents as an option at a lot of contests. I really like the way he goes about his footy. TDK and Neale would be a daunting ruck/forward combination for oppositions.

When he's in the play, just focus on him and watch him cover the ground.

He's got a lot of upside.

Note: He rotates with Thilthorpe in the ruck.

Last edited:
The latest rumour by Forty3 seems logical.

"Showing a lot of interest in Jacob Wehr, hard running HBF/Wing from the SANFL. Elite left peg, exciting prospect that got to play a full year of footy in 2020."

Wehr = Simpson replacement.
Saad = SPS replacement

Potential backline

Plowman Weitering Wehr
Docherty Jones Saad (Kemp/Marchbank)

Williamson plays on the wing and SPS moves to a half forward/mid rotation.

Wehr has a bit of Isaac Smith about him, given the style and age profile.

Sort of makes sense us being into him.

I also like the snippets I've seen of Wehr, and he seems exactly the kind of player we'd add with where our list is at. Filling gaps with quality state leaguers ready to make the jump is under-utilised, but they often seem to impact early and allow the coaches to make structural changes around the ground.

Bringing him on probably means we can bring Willo or SPS onto a wing, and it probably releases Saad to some degree as well.

I think we will be happy to add someone like Winder at the first pick, and then assess from there. Still don't think Poulter is impossible either.

I’d take Fraser Rosman at our first pick seems like a Charlie Curnow clone.

Has huge upside, could be one of the best in the draft

Also Ginnivan, has huge upside as a small/medium forward/ mid knows where the goals are and can kick many of them. Plays a couple of years older than my son.

I'd draft Rosman, too, if we don't get Poulter.

Yea, I'd be projecting Poulter to be a similar player to Setterfield. They'd be competing for the same spot. Don't see Cripps, Setterfield and Poulter playing in the same midfield.

Someone like O'Driscoll would be a better fit as an inside midfielder if we were trading up the order.
He could equally be a third 'tall' or at least a midsized one and the ones we have are not exactly setting the world on fire. In other words, I think he has more of an attacking game than Setters. He's a hybrid forward/mid rather than a true midfielder. Like I've hinted at, the move up the draft could be a subtle one and the other players we are linked to are not exactly screaming out to be drafted in the (mid to lower) second round.

He could equally be a third 'tall' or at least a midsized one and the ones we have are not exactly setting the world on fire. In other words, I think he has more of an attacking game than Setters. He's a hybrid forward/mid rather than a true midfielder. Like I've hinted at, the move up the draft could be a subtle one and the other players we are linked to are not exactly screaming out to be drafted in the (mid to lower) second round.

I don't see Poulter as a third tall at AFL level, but everyone will have differing opinions on that.

Poulter has a more damaging kick than Setterfield, however, Setterfield is probably more advanced in the contest or at least was more advanced at his age.

Players generally need to sacrifice to gain. Poulter's attacking game will most likely be brought back a bit to focus on defensive pressure when he enters the system.

I think Poulter is going to be a very good player, but he'll be competing with Setterfield for the same spot. I don't see them in the same midfield. I also believe Setterfield will have a breakout year in 2021. Remember he was coming from a long way back when he came to the club. Had missed the best part of 2 years and didn't have a preseason entering his 3rd so wasn't properly conditioned.

We need to improve our list balance. Have enough 190cm+ mids on the list. If we're splitting hairs between Poulter and someone else, we'd need to consider the other player's position in the decision. In saying that, I'd be happy if Poulter slipped through to pick 31. I wouldn't trade up for him though. There are others better suited to our needs that we should be trading up for instead.

Pick 31
2010 Ariel Steinberg Adel. ( 30 Jake Batchelor Rich, 32 Josh Green Bris.)
2011 Jackson Merrett * (30 Elliott Yeo Bris, 32 Joel Hamling WB)
2012 Kamdyn McIntosh Rich. (30 Mason Shaw PA, 32 Michael Close Bris.)
2013 Malcolm Karpany WC (30 Trent Dumont NM, 32 George Hewett Syd.)
2014 Dan Howe Haw (30 Brayden Maynard Coll, 32 Tom Lamb WC)
2015 Ryan Clarke NM (30 Mason Redman *, 32 Brayden Sier Coll.)
2016 Josh Begley * (30 Sam McLarty Coll. 32 Joe Atley PA)
2017 Bayley Fritsch Melb. (30 TDK, 32 Brayden Ainsworth WC)
2018 Luke Foley WC (30 Will Hamill Adel. 32 Luke Valente
2019 Charlie Comben NM (30 Harrison Jones *, 32 Trent Rivers Melb.)

player stands at 174cm and 74kg Ost Pubis in final year U18s overlooked 2004 draft taken No. 3 Pre season draft, lively forward knows where the goals are.

There's more handy players there around pick 30 than I epxected...

Great video guys.

Pom's bang on the money about Winder being our man if he's available at 31. Don't worry about the guys you threw up in the other video that could potentially slide. Problem is I haven't really seen us being linked with him anywhere which is a bit disappointing.

He needs to improve the defensive side of his game, but if he can get it altogether, he could be the next Michael Walters.

As much as it pissed me off to trade pick 8 for Saad, we're actually in a really good spot in the draft to address some needs. It could end up working out really well for us.

If you go to the first page of the draft thread, there's a full match replay of Team Brown vs Team Dal Santo (last years curtain raiser).

Neale is #35 for Team Brown. You'll see him running around in the ruck.

He moves gracefully and covers the ground very well. He presents as an option at a lot of contests. I really like the way he goes about his footy. TDK and Neale would be a daunting ruck/forward combination for oppositions.

When he's in the play, just focus on him and watch him cover the ground.

He's got a lot of upside.

Note: He rotates with Thilthorpe in the ruck.
Former state 400m & 800m runner. For a guy that size with that athleticism the potential is scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back