Recruiting Draft Watch 2020

Which do you prefer, if you have to choose?

• Nik Cox

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Zach Reid

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What if Thilthorpe is there? Would be a hard choice between the two
But in the scenario you presented before you said this may eventuate if the crows take Thilthorpe?

No if Thilthorpe isn’t available it will come down to hawks choosing between Phillips or DGB or even Bruhn.
Swans taking Logan?

Cal just came in off the long run in regards to our competence.

Started with the white board gaffe, then transitioned into we apparently delisted players in full view of everyone from the car park, or something of the like.
I think Cal may want to invest in a sense of humour...

Someone like Heppell at his best and I reckon Jobe would have gotten close.

6:30 as a 2m tall KPD is very good. There'll be no issues with his endurance running.

Cox is in the Blicavs category, that doesn't therefore make Reid un-athletic. This isn't an Aaron Francis type issue where endurance is going to be a serious problem, Reid is a very good athlete for a genuine tall, Cox is in the freak category.

You're talking as though 6:30 leaves question marks on his tank, when it clearly does not.

6:30 as a 2m tall KPD is very good. There'll be no issues with his endurance running.

Cox is in the Blicavs category, that doesn't therefore make Reid un-athletic. This isn't an Aaron Francis type issue where endurance is going to be a serious problem, Reid is a very good athlete for a genuine tall, Cox is in the freak category.

You're talking as though 6:30 leaves question marks on his tank, when it clearly does not.

I'm specifically not. The discussion was about whether Reid is an excellent athletic prospect. My point was really just that he's good average as his numbers suggest.

You'll find that a lot of modern talls are really good endurance athletes. Historically we just haven't recruited them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He extracts the ball, he's exactly what we need to win games. He's also 186cm so he's a decent sized midfielder. Also his brother is an absolute gun, so why wouldn't we want him in the top 10?
Shane Harvey Marcus pickett?

Shane Harvey Marcus pickett?
I feel like recruiters are a bit more refined than they were when these two were picked. Macrae is highly touted, and I don't understand people's issue with us addressing a need.

I don't necessarily disagree with him TBH. I'm not as hung up about it though.
I think Cal might be personalising it a bit. He’s a draft/trade expert who by his own admission doesn’t know who Essendon are looking to take. When he sees the whiteboard he probably feels like they’re toying with him.

I'm specifically not. The discussion was about whether Reid is an excellent athletic prospect. My point was really just that he's good average as his numbers suggest.

You'll find that a lot of modern talls are really good endurance athletes. Historically we just haven't recruited them.

I mean you've pretty consistently talked down Reid here, along with generally being all over the place in your assessment of the time.

less athletically capable of the two potential talls.
6:30 for 2km is not excellent.
It's front of the Peleton in any given year
At a club it's the time a super fit but mediocre runner is capable of

He's a very good athlete for a KPP, there's no query on that.

Cox is elite. In the Blicavs, Sculy, Whitfield category. That won't automatically make him the better actual footballer.

Simply being the better athlete doesn't make him the best footballer, especially when both are clear AFL standard runners.

This isn't drafting a Francis who's going to struggle with the running requirements at AFL level.

Cox may have the scope to play as a wingman, that's the main difference having a top percentile tank gives him, but Reid could also be our CHB for the next decade, and I'd have no concerns about his ability to stay with any of the KPF's he's likely to play on at AFL level.

I mean you've pretty consistently talked down Reid here, along with generally being all over the place in your assessment of the time.

He's a very good athlete for a KPP, there's no query on that.

Cox is elite. In the Blicavs, Sculy, Whitfield category. That won't automatically make him the better actual footballer.

Simply being the better athlete doesn't make him the best footballer, especially when both are clear AFL standard runners.

This isn't drafting a Francis who's going to struggle with the running requirements at AFL level.

Cox may have the scope to play as a wingman, that's the main difference having a top percentile tank gives him, but Reid could also be our CHB for the next decade, and I'd have no concerns about his ability to stay with any of the KPF's he's likely to play on at AFL level.

Do you actually disagree with anything you quoted?

If he falls to them I’d almost put money on it
I think it’s pretty exciting that no one knows what’s going to happen. Most years everyone has a pretty good idea of how the top 5-10 will pan out by draft day.

I think Cal might be personalising it a bit. He’s a draft/trade expert who by his own admission doesn’t know who Essendon are looking to take. When he sees the whiteboard he probably feels like they’re toying with him.

I agree he might be personalising it a bit, but more form the perspective that he is an Essendon supporter with Essendon memorabilia on the wall of his house who is fed up of not getting the basics right.

Back