Training 2021 Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Full squad is back. Pearce looks in great nick.

Shoosh, ....... the injury gods may be listening !!!!!!.

I’ve already crossed all my appendages, in relation to Pearce for this season.

In 2019, when Walters was peak mid-fwd, his goal scoring was better than it had been for years, so that doesn't really stack up.
I agree but we suck moving the ball from the middle to the forward line so it should be a temp fix until our young kids are matured and or we get an elite clearance mid.

Exposing them without Fyfe there would really help their development but I am expecting when we are contending that our best clearance mid is in the middle.
The problem is that our forward line is more dangerous and looks like it functions better when he is in there.
Only way to really resolve that is to look at the data. I50 Entries per point for Walters mid vs fwd. Or perhaps minutes per goal mid vs fwd. I don't have enough time to try and work any out so I'm just going to talk maths for a minute. Average team conversion rate drops if Walters = mid? Yes or No. 50 entries increase if Walters = fwd? Yes or No. The question the is which is of most benifit. 36 entries for 8.9 (vs Ess 2020) and a loss vs 34 entries and 10.1 (vs coll 2020) for a win.

Now the Freo website gives data on "Efficency Inside 50" (which seems to be scoring shots vs entries) at 42% for the season. Ok sort of. The only team that made the finals with that % was Richmod who averaged 10 more entries that we did and if we are being honest had an average season with a stellar finals series. The other three prelim finalists were well over 45% for EI50. I don't like EI50 because it doesn't reflect points vs goals well but 5% (arbitrary for the example, premise holds for 3% and 2% as well) improvement in the inside 50 count gives us 16.2 scoring shots per game (15.4 for 2020). If that 5% is applied to EI50 instead we end up with 17.3 scoring shots per game. I'll go for the 17.3 and Walters in the forward line thanks.

If a team only gets 350 to 400 disposals per game and only 12 to 15 of them are the kicks at goal, then we want as many of the remaining 350 to be our best decision makers.

Walters fits in that group in my opinion. If that means midfield time then so be it.

But if we only get 12-15 kicks at goal then we definitely want the guys taking them to be our best at slotting them. And Walters definitely belongs in that group.

Was Walters in rehab or light duties? In the gallery he was running laps

The players have different schedules over pre-season. One day they could be doing laps while the next they are training with the main group. Sonny usually does quite a few sessions just pumping out laps over pre-season.

I think the 60 goal forward I predicted might have been unders in retrospect.

From the training picks, it looks like Treacy has quite the schnoz. I feel like Freo had another forward with a big beak at one point...

IIRC he was pretty good too.

Give Treacy #29 and get him into the forward line. He’s destined for greatness with that nose!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only way to really resolve that is to look at the data. I50 Entries per point for Walters mid vs fwd. Or perhaps minutes per goal mid vs fwd. I don't have enough time to try and work any out so I'm just going to talk maths for a minute. Average team conversion rate drops if Walters = mid? Yes or No. 50 entries increase if Walters = fwd? Yes or No. The question the is which is of most benifit. 36 entries for 8.9 (vs Ess 2020) and a loss vs 34 entries and 10.1 (vs coll 2020) for a win.

Now the Freo website gives data on "Efficency Inside 50" (which seems to be scoring shots vs entries) at 42% for the season. Ok sort of. The only team that made the finals with that % was Richmod who averaged 10 more entries that we did and if we are being honest had an average season with a stellar finals series. The other three prelim finalists were well over 45% for EI50. I don't like EI50 because it doesn't reflect points vs goals well but 5% (arbitrary for the example, premise holds for 3% and 2% as well) improvement in the inside 50 count gives us 16.2 scoring shots per game (15.4 for 2020). If that 5% is applied to EI50 instead we end up with 17.3 scoring shots per game. I'll go for the 17.3 and Walters in the forward line thanks.
What? You're putting the whole feed entry efficiency down to Walters?

Mathematically/logically it's perfectly possible for Walters to be above average with his entries, yet the mass of the teams entries to be less than average.

We need more evidence than that stat.

Disagree. Bewley’s defensive work ie positioning off the ball, is underrated. Limited team’s rebounding through the wings numerous times and a huge reason why others was able to excel. He’s a Mzungu winger in that he does the job without praise.
Just saying, but Mzungu got a hell of a lot of praise from me. In his limited time at Freo, he was a strong contributor most of the time. In saying that, based on what I've observed, Mzungu is a better winger than Bewley imo.

On RMX2001 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sturt could be one of those guys that are made out of glass.
It does seem like that. It must be 6 months plus since he “rolled” his ankle. He’s already behind the 8 ball in terms of pre season fitness. It’s a pity too as he’s in a position we have much less depth in than other areas.

Sturt could be one of those guys that are made out of glass.
I think Sturt is about where they expected him to be in his recovery. He had surgery on his foot in November. They need to get his ankle right. With his speed and X factor he’s a crucial part of or forward line and I hope to god he gets over his injuries woes.

It does seem like that. It must be 6 months plus since he “rolled” his ankle. He’s already behind the 8 ball in terms of pre season fitness. It’s a pity too as he’s in a position we have much less depth in than other areas.

Rolled ankles can be a campaigner. I rolled my ankle about 5-6 years ago and it still gives me trouble every now and again. It also took a few months to heal properly. For all we know, he could have had a small fracture and/or damaged ligaments.

What? You're putting the whole feed entry efficiency down to Walters?

Mathematically/logically it's perfectly possible for Walters to be above average with his entries, yet the mass of the teams entries to be less than average.

We need more evidence than that stat.
No.

I'm implying that Walters improves either the fwd OR the mid by 2-5% depending on where he is. Given he can't be in both, mathematically less forward entries at a better conversion rate is better for the team. So he should play forward. Short of spending a lot of time compliing data others will not believe anyway, lets just stay with the supposition that Walters improves the portion of field he is in by a consistant amount.

Further to my previous point we come to measureable performance. Given that the data available requires more time that I have available let me point out that performance of individuals is a balencing act between ability and desire.

Staying with Walters. He unquestionably wanted to be played more in the midfield. Don't know if he still does. Will that improve his performace in the midfield? Probably. Will be being left in the forward line removed form the mid reduce his motivation? Possibly. Will either of those things effect his ball handling, agility, speed, touch, goal sense ... etc. Much harder to say.

What should be obvious is that it is mentally tough to force yourself to learn new things about something you dislike. If a player says they are a defender, chances are you wont successuly move them away from that. Keep recruiting defenders and we wont score at all. The mental side of things is not insignificant.

Was Walters in rehab or light duties? In the gallery he was running laps

walters was in the rehab group.

rehab group consisted or walters, leno thomas, tucker, sturt, giro.

out of the group sturt was the least active, not sure what is going on but spent the majority of his time out there just walking which consisted of either walking in straight lines or walking diagonally from one cone to the other. he then went in to the gym (i assume) very early into the session.

tucker looking good, super mobile and can see him joining the main group soon. please keep in mind i was on the side of the ground where the rehab guys were so couldnt see clearly who was doing match sims, so tucker may have joined in with the main group later on in the session.

walters looking active too, but did make some cheeky comments about his weight to the staff.

later on in the session pearce and hill did some work with who ever was running the rehab group, both look fit. what i found interesting is pearce was doing a drill where he would compete for a contested mark and then have to immediately lead for another mark. dont know if this a hint he may be spending time forward or if this is just a random intensity drill. pearce was training really hard either way and from the pics posted by fremantle was with the main group for the majority of training.

also logue was with the midfield group today, again not sure if this is a hint or he was just there to help with numbers.

walters was in the rehab group.

rehab group consisted or walters, leno thomas, tucker, sturt, giro.

out of the group sturt was the least active, not sure what is going on but spent the majority of his time out there just walking which consisted of either walking in straight lines or walking diagonally from one cone to the other. he then went in to the gym (i assume) very early into the session.

tucker looking good, super mobile and can see him joining the main group soon. please keep in mind i was on the side of the ground where the rehab guys were so couldnt see clearly who was doing match sims, so tucker may have joined in with the main group later on in the session.

walters looking active too, but did make some cheeky comments about his weight to the staff.

later on in the session pearce and hill did some work with who ever was running the rehab group, both look fit. what i found interesting is pearce was doing a drill where he would compete for a contested mark and then have to immediately lead for another mark. dont know if this a hint he may be spending time forward or if this is just a random intensity drill. pearce was training really hard either way and from the pics posted by fremantle was with the main group for the majority of training.

also logue was with the midfield group today, again not sure if this is a hint or he was just there to help with numbers.

Oh Boy wowee gee whiz I hope they whack big Griff into the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back