Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

No, it's a high-flying, classy mid who is too small to play as a midfielder at AFL level so will spend most of his career as a small forward and will have Carlton fans hoping he is Boomer Harvey 2.0, but more likeable.

Kinda catchy. Don't you think?
rolls off the tongue

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

No, it's a high-flying, classy mid who is too small to play as a midfielder at AFL level so will spend most of his career as a small forward and will have Carlton fans hoping he is Boomer Harvey 2.0, but more likeable.

Kinda catchy. Don't you think?
Ok Boomer

Gibbons is our second go at Kane Lambert. He will only get better with time in the system and the team improving around him.
Some of his delivery inside 50 last year when he did what so many others don’t and lower his eyes was fantastic and on both feet as well, has a huge amount of upside as both a high half forward and a rotating mid where he caught the opposition off guard a number of times with his quick hands and smart usage, is far from just a soldier that is waiting to be overtaken by the younger players.

Some of his delivery inside 50 last year when he did what so many others don’t and lower his eyes was fantastic and on both feet as well, has a huge amount of upside as both a high half forward and a rotating mid where he caught the opposition off guard a number of times with his quick hands and smart usage, is far from just a soldier that is waiting to be overtaken by the younger players.
Yep, been the biggest problem at the club for years. We have only had a couple of strategies ... either:
Bomb it onto Eddies head
Kick it to the lead towards the pocket ignoring anyone in the centre corridor
Drop it about 10 metres past the 50 mtr line and hope they don’t run it out after the pack spills it
Kick it high to the front of the goal square and hope one of the 14 blokes in the pack wearing our jumper can take a grab

Anything else will be better than the above options we have comprehensively proven don’t work.

If anything, Kennedy could be a reliable extractor for the 2’s so the our youngsters can play off him. Sort of the Cripps equivalent for the reserves.
Definitely good backup too.
he looks good in that photo.
Was also a very good link man in some of the games he played, he is very good at making space through the middle of the ground when we are transitioning from defence and becoming the marking target that then hits up the leading forward, he did this on a number of occasions and having that man in the middle for the 45 kick to open up the play and the forward line is very important and what he does well.

A few years ago, when Weiters was going thru a bit of a slump, and Jones was a bit hit and miss down back, Marchbank was arguably our best emerging defender. Then injury struck .

But he's back and we should look forward to a massive year from him.

Yep spot on, the one thing missing to complete our defence the 3rd tall/ interceptor, have missed him desperately and will take our defence to the elite level when back and firing.

Yep, been the biggest problem at the club for years. We have only had a couple of strategies ... either:
Bomb it onto Eddies head
Kick it to the lead towards the pocket ignoring anyone in the centre corridor
Drop it about 10 metres past the 50 mtr line and hope they don’t run it out after the pack spills it
Kick it high to the front of the goal square and hope one of the 14 blokes in the pack wearing our jumper can take a grab

Anything else will be better than the above options we have comprehensively proven don’t work.

I miss Eddie as our CHF ... those were the days.

Yep spot on, the one thing missing to complete our defence the 3rd tall/ interceptor, have missed him desperately and will take our defence to the elite level when back and firing.
Having Saad and Marchy in the backline would also elevate Plowman's game. Allowing him to blanket players he is best suited for rather having to play taller or smaller.

Having Saad and Marchy in the backline would also elevate Plowman's game. Allowing him to blanket players he is best suited for rather having to play taller or smaller.
Having a genuinely fast small defender will be transformational, still expect Plowman to get the most dangerous non KPF each week but he will have more help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Amos spoke of him training as a defender and learning from Weiters & Jones, so he's got to have some genuine size to him.
Last I heard he was 194.5cm I think so yeah he’s a big boy alright, is the other option as 3rd tall/ interceptor if Marchy isn’t fit along with Parks.

In all seriousness though, wouldn’t it be great to see a 1st year (2nd) slot straight in and look like he belongs at AFL level.
I’m hopeful our new no 16 in Carroll can emulate our old no 16 in Campo and get some decent game time on a wing in his first year, have high hopes for the smooth moving youngster.

The Plow will be a 200+ game player for carlton. Sitting on 90 games so far. Not enough love for the Plow!

Plowman (shutdown small/medium) Jones (KP monster) Marchbank (3rd Tall)

It really is that simple.:)

So I take it your "ideal" (assuming everyone is fit) would look like this?

Plow Jones Marchy
Doc Weiters Saad

SPS as the seventh (which we usually play)

Kept Papley, Cameron, Fyfe, Gray (except the last one :rolleyes:) plus many others all goalless, just this year!

For some reason a lot of supporters gloss over his body of work and remember one clanger ... its truly bizarre.

Having Marchy back will really ease the burden on Jones and Weiters as they can purely concentrate on shutting down the KP forwards, numerous times Jones gets caught out by trying to intercept as well as do his shut down role so having Marchy there will stiffen our defence even more by giving us a dedicated pure interceptor.

So I take it your "ideal" (assuming everyone is fit) would look like this?

Plow Jones Marchy
Doc Weiters Saad

SPS as the seventh (which we usually play)
I know you aren't asking me, but I'd have Newman in instead of SPS. Play SPS on a wing or in the guts instead of Murphy, which is a tough decision to make.

I’m warming up to the little bugger, wasn’t rapped when we picked him but like all players once there on the list I will love them like there my own, hope he tears it up in the JLTs and gets a rd1 slot. 😜
Watch this, 17yr old in SANFL against older players, the lightning pace.... very excited to have Durdin. Here's hoping he's lighting up the G' rnd1.

I’m all for celebrating young players but I’d cool the jets on durdin. He was pick 37 in an average draft. I hope he is as good as you are all comparing him to but I’m not gonna set myself up for disappointment. If he proves to be a gem I’ll come back here and make an apology. Looking forward to the year. Finals has to be on the cards

I know you aren't asking me, but I'd have Newman in instead of SPS. Play SPS on a wing or in the guts instead of Murphy, which is a tough decision to make.

Where are we fitting all these players in ... I'm of the opinion Smurf should be phased out this year. Get him to 300 games (this WILL happen peeps) and let him retire as the club champion he is.

Wing is interesting ... its either Willo/Newnes/Walsh, but it has been alluded to Walshy is set for more centre bounce time so ... maybe SPS on the Wing ... dunno, just doesn't strike me as that sort of player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back