Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Much as some would like to disagree, we could do with Scully for at least another year.

Maybe as depth - but I’m far more excited that Phillips will be likely sharing the wings with one of our youth brigade. We need the fresh blood.

In a way I'd love for us to just rip the mediocre bandaid that is our list off and place a focus on bringing the youth through.
Doesn't work though.
That's Carlton.

Has to be transitional & measured.

In a way I'd love for us to just rip the mediocre bandaid that is our list off and place a focus on bringing the youth through.
Spot on. Time to cut the s**t and fix our culture once and for all. I dont want anyone pulling on our jumper who doesn't wanna be there. Please leave now.

Doesn't work though.
That's Carlton.

Has to be transitional & measured.

In a tactful way, of course; gifting games to players that aren't likely going to be part of our nucleus premiership side i.e. Scully, Hartley, Hanrahan, Ceglar, etc

I suppose these players are currently more deserving of the youth, but let's give the Morris', Greaves', Jeka's more than just a taste. Last year was just delaying the inevitable & slowing our progress.

Any blowback on Scully for not having mentioned potential risks with Patton?
No. It’s the duty of the club to do their homework. No player is going to rat out their mate. They wouldn’t be very welcomed in the playing group after that.

Coincidentally i feel both boys haven’t fitted in to the group like others , i haver never seen them posted out and about on players socials or in any player videos posted by the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coincidentally i feel both boys haven’t fitted in to the group like others , i haver never seen them posted out and about on players socials or in any player videos posted by the club.
I've wondered about this too tbh.

He was pretty good mates with JOM if I remember correctly?

Yeah he looked poor, uninterested, last year. He had some injury issues, and obviously the hubs and our ball movement wouldn't have helped, but I thought at the time, as I do now, that he just looked bereft of confidence.

This is what I was saying about recruiting Patton. After a breakout 2019, in which most pundits had him as one of the top 10 young key position forwards coming through, we recruited a bloke to play his position.
Jury is out on Lewis. He has the makings of a decent lead up forward but has a lot of areas he needs to work on.

Maybe as depth - but I’m far more excited that Phillips will be likely sharing the wings with one of our youth brigade. We need the fresh blood.
Don't forget two of our three key endurance runners left the club at the end of last season.

It will certainly be interesting to see how Clarko structures up in 2021.

The top up strategy hasn't worked.
Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Time to re build from the bottom up.
We need top end talent from the top end of the draft for the next 2 to 3 years.

Elite mids and forwards.

Time to suck it up and take some medicine.
I think the problem with this is the club think we are still on the way up or are on our way to challenge. If ever we bite the bullet we can change it around.

Wha...?????

No offense, but this is a very long bow to draw.

I don't have a facebook or instagram account, yet I enjoy rich relationships with my friends. Just because someone doesn't actively engage on social media doesn't mean that they are not engaged in real life.

Last edited:
I think the problem with this is the club think we are still on the way up or are on our way to challenge. If ever we bite the bullet we can change it around.
Sort of. Clarko promised Silk (and Rough) a few years back that he'd do everything possible to snare them another flag before they retired. The top ups had to happen to facilitate this. The club backed Clarko in and communicated a new strategy which included stated objectives of more flags within a few years which set our expectations high.

Sort of. Clarko promised Silk (and Rough) a few years back that he'd do everything possible to snare them another flag before they retired. The top ups had to happen to facilitate this. The club backed Clarko in and communicated a new strategy which included stated objectives of more flags within a few years which set our expectations high.
I think the club has shifted its course.. They’ve maintained their pick one for the last two years and it’s absolutely the right thing to do and with any luck DGB and Day are 12 year players and lead our Renaissance.. we should look to keep our picks for the next 2-3 years and get further depth and quality kids coming through together.. The best thing would be for Hawks is for JP, Scully, and others to be phased out by Finn, Lewis, Jeka, Downie but these guys have little in the way of exposed form so just need to temper expectations on them.. The club at the top is a different matter.. Clarko is the only man left from our premiership era and a new voice and direction might be our best strategy but Clarko has so much control that it makes it a fork on the road moment for the club which it can’t afford to get wrong..Next two years development and direction defines our medium to long term future in my view.

Horrible strategy that i absolutely despised at the time. Even an armchair expert like myself could see that it was not the right way to go - post 2015/ 2016 the writing was on the wall - proper rebuild required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back