Training To hell and back but we never actually left hell (Preseason thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not all is lost, from a sun article:

TRACK watchers say Bayley Fritsch is enjoying a stellar pre-season, and it was hard to disagree judging by Friday’s intra-club.

The 24-year-old was everywhere, but particularly up forward where the classy left footer did some real damage.

He kicked three goals in the intra-club and injected plenty of life into the forward line.

One of the Demons’ standouts this summer.

He was horrible infront of goals and was still our best forward, hopefully everyone's all on board here lol

Hore is more a rebounding/intercepting third tall, rather than legit KPD so I don’t think we need another key defender. I was expecting him to push for Hibberd’s spot in the 22.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I recall him playing taller than he actually is, but you make a good point re: Hibberd. Pleasing to hear that Lockhart was playing well yday as a lockdown defender, I see him as best 22

Bummed for Hore. Was a solid player in defence and with a few blokes like Hibberd and Jetta nearing the end could've had a good run this year.

Like the sound of Lockhart's performance, can hopefully become more reliable down back.

Agree on keeping Fritsch in the front half. Gets too lost up the field but is smart around goals in getting himself into a shooting position or setting up someone else.

Bummed for Hore. Was a solid player in defence and with a few blokes like Hibberd and Jetta nearing the end could've had a good run this year.

Like the sound of Lockhart's performance, can hopefully become more reliable down back.

Agree on keeping Fritsch in the front half. Gets too lost up the field but is smart around goals in getting himself into a shooting position or setting up someone else.
Fritta certainly has some good forward craft. I reckon some of really clever stuff in that Essendon game last year.

Who's our other small defender, is it Nietschke or Chandler and how are they travelling.
Well Nietschke is coming off back to back knee recos so probably not great. Chandler is a small forward.

Answer is we don't really have specific small backs, but to be honest I doubt there's many kids drafted these days as small backs, they just kinda become them one day when they run out of options.

I fully expect Fritsch to be better than last year. For large parts of the season he was our most dangerous forward, even drawing the opposition's best defender. With Brown now that just won't be possible. You can't gamble with him like teams did with Weid or Brown.
If our ball movement is good enough then Fritsch should find plenty of space for 1-1's. After that he's just got to kick straight...

I recall him playing taller than he actually is, but you make a good point re: Hibberd. Pleasing to hear that Lockhart was playing well yday as a lockdown defender, I see him as best 22

Completely agree re Lockhart. Love what he brings to the table, although he’s still a bit rough around the edges.

Completely agree re Lockhart. Love what he brings to the table, although he’s still a bit rough around the edges.

I really rate Lockhart, I remember his first game and he was up forward. He was extremely clean, one touch, no fumbles and then hit a target or handballed it. If he stuffed it up, he made amends. Very good player and plays with his heart on his sleeve.

Fritsch was a few straight kicks away from AA squad contention last year (in an imaginary world where they actually pick forwards in the squad instead of bulk midfielders), moving him away from the forward line would be a disaster. It’s actually funny how dreadful he is anywhere else on the field relative to how much natural taken he has as a forward. He can do one thing, but he does it well

Lockhart has this sense of accountability around him which I like.

With Hore going on the Long Term Injury list, does that mean that in theory we could now pick up both Farmer and Deakyn Smith?

Lockhart has this sense of accountability around him which I like.

With Hore going on the Long Term Injury list, does that mean that in theory we could now pick up both Farmer and Deakyn Smith?
Or we pick up one and take a player in the mid season draft, expect a few gems in there given last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll just pop this here for those who haven't seen it, pretty average interview but Harmes is definitely back in the middle.

Great move. Clearly plays his best footy as a mid/forward.
Now how do we set up if all available? Oliver Petracca Viney Brayshaw Harmes all rotating through the guts. Petracca and Harmes can also play well up forward. I’m also hoping Oliver develops further as a forward option.

Now how do we set up if all available? Oliver Petracca Viney Brayshaw Harmes all rotating through the guts. Petracca and Harmes can also play well up forward. I’m also hoping Oliver develops further as a forward option.
Very tricky, especially considering Sparrow and Jordon further establishing themselves in the rotation.

Mid forwards- (mid 1st)
Petracca 60/40
Harmes 70/30
Oliver 80/20
Sparrow 20/80
Jordon 20/80 (don't really know)

Mid only
Viney
Brayshaw

Definitely no inside mids rotating onto the wing or half back, Rivers and Salem could rotate through the middle though.

Honestly hope Oliver can develop more as a forward.

If he can, it answers our midfield problems a lot. If he can split 70/30 mid to forward, it allows harmes that 30/40% on ball time.

Will need Brayshaw and Viney to somehow play as that high half forward spot when they shuffle as it's obvious as hell they should never be in the square at the same time together.

Very tricky, especially considering Sparrow and Jordon further establishing themselves in the rotation.

Mid forwards- (mid 1st)
Petracca 60/40
Harmes 70/30
Oliver 80/20
Sparrow 20/80
Jordon 20/80 (don't really know)

Mid only
Viney
Brayshaw

Definitely no inside mids rotating onto the wing or half back, Rivers and Salem could rotate through the middle though.
I kinda think Jordan hasn’t played a game and may be rated highly, and Sparrow should only play if they kick out a Brayshaw or Harmes type. Bowey and Laurie seem much better for the team Balance.

I kinda think Jordan hasn’t played a game and may be rated highly, and Sparrow should only play if they kick out a Brayshaw or Harmes type. Bowey and Laurie seem much better for the team Balance.
Good point, but they're going to have to get games into them eventually. Very important for depth.

In the event that Jordon ever pulls on a Melbourne jumper I expect he’ll develop as a half back. Sparrow has major Scott Thompson energy in that he’ll go back to SA and turn out to be a godlike Petracca/Oliver clone

Fo
In the event that Jordon ever pulls on a Melbourne jumper I expect he’ll develop as a half back. Sparrow has major Scott Thompson energy in that he’ll go back to SA and turn out to be a godlike Petracca/Oliver clone
Fortunately, Tom signed a deal until the end of 2022 during preseason last year.

But you can guarantee when he does play another dozen average games for us, that we trade him for pick 30 and he does become that petracca/Oliver clone you talk of. #FistedForever

I'll just pop this here for those who haven't seen it, pretty average interview but Harmes is definitely back in the middle.

Is there a more bland personality going round than Harmes? Doubt it. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back