news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Had his mouth guard knocked out for the last 45 seconds of the fight. That's not good enough from that piss poor ref imo...f him.
Vick just can't afford to get hit anymore with that chin.
nah i watched the whole fight live. Very reasonable reffing.

Vick got his mouthguard knocked out and was rocked very soon after, the ref would've been doing an injustice to his opponent to stop the fight and let Vick recover.

Savage part of the sport but was the right decision imo.

Would've been different if there was a 5-10 second inactive period but his opponent was all over him

Shame Vick got brutally hurt again. Such a nice character and comes from a good team of individuals (look up Lloyd Irvin if unsure)

I look forward to his next fight, hopefully against another good boxer

nah i watched the whole fight live. Very reasonable reffing.

Vick got his mouthguard knocked out and was rocked very soon after, the ref would've been doing an injustice to his opponent to stop the fight and let Vick recover.

Savage part of the sport but was the right decision imo.

Would've been different if there was a 5-10 second inactive period but his opponent was all over him
Nah, imo as soon as that mouth guard comes out the fight should pretty much be paused for 2 seconds and have his mouth guard put back in so the fighter doesn't lose all his teeth.

Nah, imo as soon as that mouth guard comes out the fight should pretty much be paused for 2 seconds and have his mouth guard put back in so the fighter doesn't lose all his teeth.
Can't stop a fight that might be about to finish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go watch his strikeforce fights.

Nah i saw them when he was doing it.

Its not that hes not good, he clearly is, i do think his bad boy IDGAF persona preceeded him.

His Silva fight was a perfect example of him doing SFA to make the fight then claiming the other guy was a pussy.

Can't stop a fight that might be about to finish.
That's fair enough, and I take back what I said about the ref...he just did his job.
Bit of a bad look tho, imo. Guy is half out of it for over half a minute without his mouthguard in while getting smashed in the face.
What if it goes on for over a minute without the guy dropping?
It is a tricky one tho, as guys could spit their guard knowing that the fight will get paused, but you could stop that behaviour with serious penalties too.
I'll give it more thought but I think I'm leaning more towards pausing the fight very briefly as soon as a mouthguard gets knocked out.

I remember having high hopes for Vick at one stage. He was quietly racking up some good wins and I thought he would be able to make it as a top contender. I think he should think about giving it up at this point. Has suffered some nasty head damage

That's fair enough, and I take back what I said about the ref...he just did his job.
Bit of a bad look tho, imo. Guy is half out of it for over half a minute without his mouthguard in while getting smashed in the face.
What if it goes on for over a minute without the guy dropping?
It is a tricky one tho, as guys could spit their guard knowing that the fight will get paused, but you could stop that behaviour with serious penalties too.
I'll give it more thought but I think I'm leaning more towards pausing the fight very briefly as soon as a mouthguard gets knocked out.

I thought that’s what usually happened Daz ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought that’s what usually happened Daz ?

"The round cannot begin without the mouthpiece. If the mouthpiece is dislodged during competition, the referee will call time and have the mouthpiece replaced at the first opportune moment, without interfering with the immediate action."

I get their reasoning, but I would still prefer to see an instant pause in the fight as soon as a mouthguard is dislodged. I mean, Vick got pummelled for 45 seconds without his mouthguard. Not great.

"The round cannot begin without the mouthpiece. If the mouthpiece is dislodged during competition, the referee will call time and have the mouthpiece replaced at the first opportune moment, without interfering with the immediate action."

I get their reasoning, but I would still prefer to see an instant pause in the fight as soon as a mouthguard is dislodged. I mean, Vick got pummelled for 45 seconds without his mouthguard. Not great.

That’s what I thought stop , pick up guard and shove it in then go for it again .

Chandler and Oliveira were offered a spot at 258. Charles declined as the vacant belt wasn't on the line - fair enough too.

Really think they're going to screw Charles in the end mostly because he doesn't speak English. If the UFC can't promote the companies submission record holder, good striker, all his weird moments & after a win over Ferg (+ 8 fight win streak and 15 performance bonuses to boot), they're clueless.

DP v Charles is so obvious IMO

Chandler and Oliveira were offered a spot at 258. Charles declined as the vacant belt wasn't on the line - fair enough too.

Really think they're going to screw Charles in the end mostly because he doesn't speak English. If the UFC can't promote the companies submission record holder, good striker, all his weird moments & after a win over Ferg (+ 8 fight win streak and 15 performance bonuses to boot), they're clueless.

DP v Charles is so obvious IMO
That would’ve been a hell of a fight, on a card that desperately needs it. But fair enough Charles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back