Training Training thread - news and live reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Larkey kicked three and looked terrific. Xerri had two or three at the other end. Curtis kicked two for blue. Skinner kicked one I think. He's a ******* big boy.

I do believe Harry Jones is training with us; looks like an ex-* rookie. Looked really nice and did some eye opening things.

Fordy hurt his ankle in a marking contest. Garner looked like he barely played at all. Corr ran laps, Perez ran laps, McGuinness ran laps. Hally played in full. Cunners didn't play at all

Fire away with questions and I'll answer as I can

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Right then

It's 4x13min quarters. White clearly the first team with basically all of the young draftees playing in blue.

Whatever your expectations are for Jed, raise them. He is bizarrely starting to become a bit of an accumulator. He got plenty of the footy and he's always driving it forward, he's rarely looking backwards. He bounces off tackles; he was looking to get fairly lined up early and bounced off two players and kicked a goal. He will have games of 30+ touches and ultimately I think he'll benefit from oppo coaches paying more attention to LDU and Jy

LDU is entering the realms of bullshit footballer. Nigh on unstoppable today. Clearance after clearance, gets the footy at will. As good as Jy's preseason has been LDU is starting to show why he was rated as highly as he was. He had a gather on the point of the 50 and sliced it straight to Zurhaar standing at the point post, which wouldn't have got more than 10m off the ground and arrived like a tracer bullet. His hands are lightning, he's just powerful in every aspect. He missed a few easy ones around the ground and was audibly disgusted with himself so he isn't perfect but he's going to have a good year

The Hayden/Spicer match up was phenomenal to watch. Ronnie obviously in white and a first choice back flanker along with Ats. As mentioned earlier Spice has got some serious wheels and moves, but Hayden might be his equal in game drills. Hayden had a few really nice intercept marks particularly in the first quarter; Spice was probably better around the ground and his cruising speed is absurd. I don't think Spicer is ready for the AFL yet and I'd have given Hayden the points
Any news on Phillips or any of the other draftees?
Positions they played and how well etc.
How did skinner look in the forwards?
Keep up the good work!

Right then

It's 4x13min quarters. White clearly the first team with basically all of the young draftees playing in blue.

Whatever your expectations are for Jed, raise them. He is bizarrely starting to become a bit of an accumulator. He got plenty of the footy and he's always driving it forward, he's rarely looking backwards. He bounces off tackles; he was looking to get fairly lined up early and bounced off two players and kicked a goal. He will have games of 30+ touches and ultimately I think he'll benefit from oppo coaches paying more attention to LDU and Jy

LDU is entering the realms of bullshit footballer. Nigh on unstoppable today. Clearance after clearance, gets the footy at will. As good as Jy's preseason has been LDU is starting to show why he was rated as highly as he was. He had a gather on the point of the 50 and sliced it straight to Zurhaar standing at the point post, which wouldn't have got more than 10m off the ground and arrived like a tracer bullet. His hands are lightning, he's just powerful in every aspect. He missed a few easy ones around the ground and was audibly disgusted with himself so he isn't perfect but he's going to have a good year

The Hayden/Spicer match up was phenomenal to watch. Ronnie obviously in white and a first choice back flanker along with Ats. As mentioned earlier Spice has got some serious wheels and moves, but Hayden might be his equal in game drills. Hayden had a few really nice intercept marks particularly in the first quarter; Spice was probably better around the ground and his cruising speed is absurd. I don't think Spicer is ready for the AFL yet and I'd have given Hayden the points
Thanks.

How were the forward set-ups?

How was the transition from defensive fifty to forward fifty?

How did the KPF and KPD's go?

Small forwards outside Spicer, including Mahoney and co?

How was Stephenson and his tank (due to lingering questions from some on this board about it)?

How were the rest of the draftees?

Outside mid performance without Dumont?

Larkey kicked three and looked terrific. Xerri had two or three at the other end. Curtis kicked two for blue. Skinner kicked one I think. He's a ******* big boy.

I do believe Harry Jones is training with us; looks like an ex-* rookie. Looked really nice and did some eye opening things.

Fordy hurt his ankle in a marking contest. Garner looked like he barely played at all. Corr ran laps, Perez ran laps, McGuinness ran laps. Hally played in full. Cunners didn't play at all

How'd Lachie Young look?

roos_tt29

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

How did Hall look overall (was he in blue or white?)?
Did you get a sense of what his role might be under Nobes?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anderson LDU Jy & Goldy vs Campbell, WiPhi, Tyson and Hally in the middle

Cunners in the rooms
Very tempted to start calling him Wifi from here on.

Its a Process

All Australian
Mar 28, 2011
Nsw
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks.

How was Stephenson and his tank (due to lingering questions from some on this board about it)?

How were the rest of the draftees?

Thanks so much for the updates - i would also like to know who played on the wings apart from Polec and how was L Young used and what team was he on?

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anderson LDU Jy & Goldy vs Campbell, WiPhi, Tyson and Hally in the middle

Cunners in the rooms

TT?

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

how'd you get so handsome

Any news on Phillips or any of the other draftees?
Positions they played and how well etc.

Phillips was a HFF for blue, rotating into the midfield. He was pretty quiet against a set of really focused and locked in first team midfielders but still got his hands on the footy more than a few times. His class and composure when he does have it is really outstanding, but you can tell he'll need time. Ats just bullied him on a HFF and he looked far more comfortable in the midfield rotation. At this stage of his career he probably needs better players around him and blue team got a bit #rekt today

Lazzaro is ultra professional. Does everything right. Played on a wing opposed to TT at stages and got a fair bit of it. He appears so reliable and his kicking is excellent. I think he is going to be a very good footballer for us for a long time. Body wise he is still small but so eager to soak up information, was looking at Cunners during a break like he was soaking up manna from heaven.

Spicer as I mentioned has heaps of tricks but is far too small to make them count at AFL level just yet. Genuinely exciting to watch and when he gets going he's almost blurry. Hayden probably got the better of him

Fordy very quiet, a few noticeable mistakes in terms of kicking and marking. Dropped a few sitters then did his ankle, limped off slowly. I walked around and he didn't appear to have any ice on it but didn't look comfy at all. A bit of a dirty day.

Powell was in the blue mid rotations as a first choice. He has got Sam Mitchell written all over him. Naturally accumulates the ball and is a far better disposal by hand than by foot. Seriously his handballing is nuts, it always hits a player in stride and is never behind or too far in front. His football brain is exceptional even at stoppages. His kicking needs work but he looks like a very smart, very well put together midfield option

How did skinner look in the forwards?

Actually really good. Very big and aggressive and hits packs hard. When he hits packs they stay hit. When he got an opportunity to kick at goal he laced it through from about 30-40 metres. You can't do much more as a second fiddle to Larkey as he did today. They worked well together. He was wearing BBB's old #50...

As mentioned, white: Larkey & Skinner, Zurhaar as a third forward, Mahoney on a HFF, Turner as a small and a resting mid

Blue: Started with Xerri, wiPhi, Curtis, Garns, Spice and Fordy. Ended with a rookie I couldn't place, and they were rotating different faces through there as Fordy and Garns went off injured.

In terms of the setups white seemed to be focused around having Mahoney further up the ground, Skinner and Larkey as deeper forwards, Turner at their feet and Zurhaar roaming from about 35-45 out. I would have thought the idea was to isolate the two bigger bodies and this worked as LDU got a quick kick out of congestion to Larkey on one occasion. Blue had TC rotating there at stages and their ball movement was a little more pressured than white, so it was more bang it in and hope.

Seemed to me like the focus defensively was to push teams to the wings, which both teams did pretty easily today. On more than a few occasions though, blue would get out of defence with a chain of running handballs which worked nicely. White seemed more focused on switching and rebounding that way. Youthful exuberance vs cagey old heads utilising space and fitness

Larkey kicked three. He's very good. Kicked one that held its line in a very windy spot. I think he was on BMac but anyone would've struggled with the delivery from the white team. I don't recall who was playing on Skinner, as Corr was off running laps. Xerri was excellent at the other end on Taz mostly. TC snuck forward to have a crack once or twice. Ultimately the white team's defenders were really strong and had the better of their opponents.

Mahoney probably a little quieter than the other session I saw. But he still does some nice things with it when he does have it. Noticeably fitter I reckon. Turner was quiet. Taylor was excellent as a rotating HFF/mid. He has great hands and is starting to develop a nice little step as well. Kicked two that I saw, both from set shots and both from distance.

Fine I thought. Didn't notice him blowing. He played on a wing and in the guts. He is really quite skilled when he wants to be, he's very very outside at the moment though. His first instinct is to get out of the contest and other players recognise this and use him, but he's not quite at the stage where he is an inside mid. And fair enough - we don't really need more of them, we have enough.

He had a ridiculous moment at the end of the ... first quarter, where white pushed up with not long left to go. He took a mark on the HFF and LMac (who is now apparently nicknamed "Jizz") screamed at him to move it on quicker. Stepho then saw TT cruising into the F50 and managed to fit a little stab kick under the man on the mark's arm, but still fast enough that it got to TT with about a second left on the clock. TT missed but that's not the point. Stepho obviously sees things in the game that others don't or can't, and has the skill to pull off some flat out ridic s**t. Just not sure he's an inside mid yet

Without Frog AND Polec actually. Hall was great, lots of run and link up. Uncommonly strong in the contest today too. Steaming inside 50 he lowered the eyes (!) and passed to Xerri. Very vocal at breaks and chatting to the young players about their movement and positioning. Lachie Young played on a wing and had a few shots on goal - pretty nice mover. He was opposed to Bailey, who is starting to resemble a really polished wingman and works harder than just about anyone on the team. Mostly though, this was won through inside grunt and Anderson, LDU and Simpkin, instead of wingmen having dominant games

How'd Lachie Young look?

As mentioned above he has the wheels to go with Bailey which is impressive in itself. He looks a natural footballer but wasn't in the game enough to really impact the scoreboard or the stats sheet. Blue team so probably a backup for the moment

How did Hall look overall (was he in blue or white?)?
Did you get a sense of what his role might be under Nobes?

He was in the blue team as a starting mid. He's good, he's fast and he's strong and he's smart. I just don't know if there is a spot for him in the first team as a starter. He might be in the VFL a bit but if injuries persist he could get a game and do really well. He takes on tacklers, backs himself, and the lowering of the eyes was a nice touch.

Thanks so much for the updates - i would also like to know who played on the wings apart from Polec and how was L Young used and what team was he on?

Wingmen rotating through - no Polec or Dumont

Stepho
TT
Bailey
Lachie Young
Lazzaro

How is LDU going with the physical stuff and defensively?
As we know previously on numerous occasions he's pulled out of physical contests or gone out of his way to avoid contact

Nah didn't see any backing out of anything today, unless it was backing out of the pack with the footy. Close to best on (tied with Anderson and LMac). He has gotten stronger and he stands up in tackles, he had his head over the footy today. Defensively I can't comment, laid a couple of tackles that I remember.

Where's Polly and Mena

* knows where Polec was, didn't see him at all. Menadue was HBF for blue

You say philips was fwd didn't you?

HFF/mid rotations

Sorry Waussie missed this one. He drifted in and out. When he's in games and he's got his hands on the footy he is so electric. It's what he does when he doesn't have the footy. More of the same story so far. He needs to be more consistent

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Phillips was a HFF for blue, rotating into the midfield. He was pretty quiet against a set of really focused and locked in first team midfielders but still got his hands on the footy more than a few times. His class and composure when he does have it is really outstanding, but you can tell he'll need time. Ats just bullied him on a HFF and he looked far more comfortable in the midfield rotation. At this stage of his career he probably needs better players around him and blue team got a bit #rekt today

Lazzaro is ultra professional. Does everything right. Played on a wing opposed to TT at stages and got a fair bit of it. He appears so reliable and his kicking is excellent. I think he is going to be a very good footballer for us for a long time. Body wise he is still small but so eager to soak up information, was looking at Cunners during a break like he was soaking up manna from heaven.

Spicer as I mentioned has heaps of tricks but is far too small to make them count at AFL level just yet. Genuinely exciting to watch and when he gets going he's almost blurry. Hayden probably got the better of him

Fordy very quiet, a few noticeable mistakes in terms of kicking and marking. Dropped a few sitters then did his ankle, limped off slowly. I walked around and he didn't appear to have any ice on it but didn't look comfy at all. A bit of a dirty day.

Powell was in the blue mid rotations as a first choice. He has got Sam Mitchell written all over him. Naturally accumulates the ball and is a far better disposal by hand than by foot. Seriously his handballing is nuts, it always hits a player in stride and is never behind or too far in front. His football brain is exceptional even at stoppages. His kicking needs work but he looks like a very smart, very well put together midfield option

Actually really good. Very big and aggressive and hits packs hard. When he hits packs they stay hit. When he got an opportunity to kick at goal he laced it through from about 30-40 metres. You can't do much more as a second fiddle to Larkey as he did today. They worked well together. He was wearing BBB's old #50...

As mentioned, white: Larkey & Skinner, Zurhaar as a third forward, Mahoney on a HFF, Turner as a small and a resting mid

Blue: Started with Xerri, wiPhi, Curtis, Garns, Spice and Fordy. Ended with a rookie I couldn't place, and they were rotating different faces through there as Fordy and Garns went off injured.

In terms of the setups white seemed to be focused around having Mahoney further up the ground, Skinner and Larkey as deeper forwards, Turner at their feet and Zurhaar roaming from about 35-45 out. I would have thought the idea was to isolate the two bigger bodies and this worked as LDU got a quick kick out of congestion to Larkey on one occasion. Blue had TC rotating there at stages and their ball movement was a little more pressured than white, so it was more bang it in and hope.

Seemed to me like the focus defensively was to push teams to the wings, which both teams did pretty easily today. On more than a few occasions though, blue would get out of defence with a chain of running handballs which worked nicely. White seemed more focused on switching and rebounding that way. Youthful exuberance vs cagey old heads utilising space and fitness

Larkey kicked three. He's very good. Kicked one that held its line in a very windy spot. I think he was on BMac but anyone would've struggled with the delivery from the white team. I don't recall who was playing on Skinner, as Corr was off running laps. Xerri was excellent at the other end on Taz mostly. TC snuck forward to have a crack once or twice. Ultimately the white team's defenders were really strong and had the better of their opponents.

Mahoney probably a little quieter than the other session I saw. But he still does some nice things with it when he does have it. Noticeably fitter I reckon. Turner was quiet. Taylor was excellent as a rotating HFF/mid. He has great hands and is starting to develop a nice little step as well. Kicked two that I saw, both from set shots and both from distance.

Fine I thought. Didn't notice him blowing. He played on a wing and in the guts. He is really quite skilled when he wants to be, he's very very outside at the moment though. His first instinct is to get out of the contest and other players recognise this and use him, but he's not quite at the stage where he is an inside mid. And fair enough - we don't really need more of them, we have enough.

He had a ridiculous moment at the end of the ... first quarter, where white pushed up with not long left to go. He took a mark on the HFF and LMac (who is now apparently nicknamed "Jizz") screamed at him to move it on quicker. Stepho then saw TT cruising into the F50 and managed to fit a little stab kick under the man on the mark's arm, but still fast enough that it got to TT with about a second left on the clock. TT missed but that's not the point. Stepho obviously sees things in the game that others don't or can't, and has the skill to pull off some flat out ridic sh*t. Just not sure he's an inside mid yet

Without Frog AND Polec actually. Hall was great, lots of run and link up. Uncommonly strong in the contest today too. Steaming inside 50 he lowered the eyes (!) and passed to Xerri. Very vocal at breaks and chatting to the young players about their movement and positioning. Lachie Young played on a wing and had a few shots on goal - pretty nice mover. He was opposed to Bailey, who is starting to resemble a really polished wingman and works harder than just about anyone on the team. Mostly though, this was won through inside grunt and Anderson, LDU and Simpkin, instead of wingmen having dominant games

As mentioned above he has the wheels to go with Bailey which is impressive in itself. He looks a natural footballer but wasn't in the game enough to really impact the scoreboard or the stats sheet. Blue team so probably a backup for the moment

He was in the blue team as a starting mid. He's good, he's fast and he's strong and he's smart. I just don't know if there is a spot for him in the first team as a starter. He might be in the VFL a bit but if injuries persist he could get a game and do really well. He takes on tacklers, backs himself, and the lowering of the eyes was a nice touch.

Stepho
TT
Bailey
Lachie Young
Lazzaro

Nah didn't see any backing out of anything today, unless it was backing out of the pack with the footy. Close to best on (tied with Anderson and LMac). He has gotten stronger and he stands up in tackles, he had his head over the footy today. Defensively I can't comment, laid a couple of tackles that I remember.

fu** knows where Polec was, didn't see him at all. Menadue was HBF for blue

HFF/mid rotations
Stellar.

Thank you.

Ah just on Ziebell

I know there's been some consternation about whether he's right for the defensive side of things, but watching closely today he seems to be fitting in quite well. He's very vocal and he's clearly done his homework about what it looks like for him back there, because he's ordering players around, organising the defensive positioning etc. He played on Fordy for a bit who did bugger all. Offensively the white team tried to switch the footy and move it around the backline a bit more and his kicking was fine. Didn't notice any ultra turnovers and he was picking people out nicely. He took a few kickouts and the plan was clearly to monster it out of the area which he did as well.

I don't see why he can't do it. If he's not playing on an 18 year old smart coaches will probably just drag him to the square and force him to play one out which may present an issue. But I'd hope Noble and co are working on a plan to avoid that happening. He simply isn't as bad an option down there as people seem to think

He had a ridiculous moment at the end of the ... first quarter, where white pushed up with not long left to go. He took a mark on the HFF and LMac (who is now apparently nicknamed "Jizz") screamed at him to move it on quicker. Stepho then saw TT cruising into the F50 and managed to fit a little stab kick under the man on the mark's arm, but still fast enough that it got to TT with about a second left on the clock. TT missed but that's not the point. Stepho obviously sees things in the game that others don't or can't, and has the skill to pull off some flat out ridic sh*t. Just not sure he's an inside mid yet

Stepho
TT
Bailey
Lachie Young
Lazzaro

fu** knows where Polec was, didn't see him at all. Menadue was HBF for blue

HFF/mid rotations
Thanks, a lot to think about in terms of rotations and half-forwards. Plenty of positives.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Flawed Genius.

My question is but a humble one.

Many quibble seeking the reports from the reporter.

But how many walk the road less travelled, seeking the reports of the reporter?

How did YOU train?

Were you hungry? Warm? Tired? Self-conscious?

Did you shift hands endlessly as your failing fingers seized up transmitting endless reports back over the wire to home base?

Did you watch training enjoying the young athletes on show or secretly resent that damn, through a sliding door moment it could've been YOU out there?

That YOU could've been surrounded by the fame, fortune, yes sex and trinkets of such high status pursuits?

That's what I really want to know.

Ah just on Ziebell

I know there's been some consternation about whether he's right for the defensive side of things, but watching closely today he seems to be fitting in quite well. He's very vocal and he's clearly done his homework about what it looks like for him back there, because he's ordering players around, organising the defensive positioning etc. He played on Fordy for a bit who did bugger all. Offensively the white team tried to switch the footy and move it around the backline a bit more and his kicking was fine. Didn't notice any ultra turnovers and he was picking people out nicely. He took a few kickouts and the plan was clearly to monster it out of the area which he did as well.

I don't see why he can't do it. If he's not playing on an 18 year old smart coaches will probably just drag him to the square and force him to play one out which may present an issue. But I'd hope Noble and co are working on a plan to avoid that happening. He simply isn't as bad an option down there as people seem to think
For mine it’s not that he’s a bad option in defence but with no brown we need Ziebell as a marking option forward more

Flawed Genius.

My question is but a humble one.

Many quibble seeking the reports from the reporter.

But how many walk the road less travelled, seeking the reports of the reporter?

How did YOU train?

Were you hungry? Warm? Tired? Self-conscious?

Did you shift hands endlessly as your failing fingers seized up transmitting endless reports back over the wire to home base?

Did you watch training enjoying the young athletes on show or secretly resent that damn, through a sliding door moment it could've been YOU out there?

That YOU could've been surrounded by the fame, fortune, yes sex and trinkets of such high status pursuits?

That's what I really want to know.

Have you been huffing from that exposed pipe in the Chaddy food court again? We talked about this

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Re this - hit it at speed running towards the middle, put the foot down and hit Larkey in a one on one contest. So balanced

Gathered, turned, Hayden tried to corral him and Spice just dropped the hips, cruised past him on the left then hit a left foot pass to TC over the top of Goldy. Perfectly weighted. He'll make some mistakes along the way but the raw talent and athleticism is there in spades

Cunners back
Have seen in a few of his snippets how he centers on the hips when tackling. Makes it difficult to be sold candy when your tracking the hips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back