news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Paige (page... whatever) did an interview and was quoted as saying you’re less likely to have concussions (debatable) cuts and lacerations (wrong) or broken hands/fingers (way wrong) doing the bare knuckle stuff.

I’m all for consulting adults doing this if that’s what they want but it ain’t for me

Concussion maybe, def not taking more punches.
Cuts? * no. 2 girls just went toe to toe and it was gruesome on both sides.

Broken hands fingers, c'mon now. Lol

Concussion maybe, def not taking more punches.
Cuts? fu** no. 2 girls just went toe to toe and it was gruesome on both sides.

Broken hands fingers, c'mon now. Lol
I think the concussion theory is exactly as you said plus because no gloves you likely don’t punch as hard. All the science I’ve read about it is debatable.

If you don’t want concussions and cte any combat sports ain’t the choice.

Her other comments... well... good thing she’s pretty.

Paige (page... whatever) did an interview and was quoted as saying you’re less likely to have concussions (debatable) cuts and lacerations (wrong) or broken hands/fingers (way wrong) doing the bare knuckle stuff.

I’m all for consulting adults doing this if that’s what they want but it ain’t for me
Not sure about this quote.
I've heard the talk around concussion being less likely, but the cuts bit...nahh. It's obvious that cuts will occur a lot more with bare knuckles. Where is that quote?

Have tried a few times, I just can't watch the bareknuckle stuff.

I grew up during the Pride glory years and these days I even struggle to watch some of those highlights.

This is getting ridiculous. Way too many fights

I thought Leben/Henry was 1.5-2 hours ago and they just keep rolling more and more out including a 47 year old who managed to win. Way too many promo vids too, people watching dont need to hear more PVZ, they know who she is...

I found it when I was looking for the card this morning somewhere on google. CBF finding it again.
Probably this...
"I'm in the absolute prime of my career. Not a lot of people have left the UFC in their prime," VanZant told "Morning Kombat" last month. "Being 26, I do feel like this moment in BKFC is only going to make my career longer. It's going to give me more years to keep competing because although people see it as a barbaric sport, there was a study put out that bare knuckle boxing is actually longterm less dangerous than MMA.

"You get less concussions, less broken hands, less longterm injuries. I think it's just going to elongate my career and show what I can do in boxing and get my resume that much better."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Khamzat vs Leon makes a lotta business sense, Leon the top contender but isn’t a good ppv prospect, so it’s not that great of a risk for the ufc. You wouldn’t usually put a top five contender up like that. Gonna be a very interesting fight.

Bare Knuckle ain't for me either, but knees and elbows with a shitload more torque than a punch are effectively allowed in MMA, so I'm not as phased about the 'trash' or rough nature of it. Not comparing it against MMA though, just surprised people take that POV of Bareknuckle.

Like MMA or really most combat sports, you're putting yourself out there for good chance at CTE at some stage in your life and making the concious decision to risk your health.

Paige probably didn't give her MMA career at all no doubt, but don't think she was throwing away an immense amount of talent either.

Wouldn't be too phased about a couple of throwaway lines from an ex UFC fighter.

Last edited:
Probably this...
"I'm in the absolute prime of my career. Not a lot of people have left the UFC in their prime," VanZant told "Morning Kombat" last month. "Being 26, I do feel like this moment in BKFC is only going to make my career longer. It's going to give me more years to keep competing because although people see it as a barbaric sport, there was a study put out that bare knuckle boxing is actually longterm less dangerous than MMA.

"You get less concussions, less broken hands, less longterm injuries. I think it's just going to elongate my career and show what I can do in boxing and get my resume that much better."
It seems I made up the whole cut thing... my bad. Still think all the above is pseudo science at best.

Bare Knuckle ain't for me either, but knees and elbows with a shitload more torque than a punch are effectively allowed in MMA, so I'm not as phased about the 'trash' or rough nature of it. Not comparing it against MMA though, just surprised people take that POV of Bareknuckle.

Like MMA or really most combat sports, you're putting yourself out there for good chance at CTE at some stage in your life and making the concious decision to risk your health.

Paige probably didn't give her MMA career at all no doubt, but don't think she was throwing away an immense amount of talent either.

Wouldn't be too phased about a couple of throwaway lines from an ex UFC fighter.
Not phased about them, find it more amusing than anything.

Just on the PVZ 'how much is she worth' thing, the video of her 'choking' her opponent in the face-off has almost one million views.

That doesn't directly translate into $$$ for the main event, but it is a decent metric.

PVZ = 👀 and in show business, that is what matters.

I say good on her. And good on whoever is running the bareknuckle promotion.

Now onto today. The final fight of the prelims (just now) involved a stoppage due to a swollen eye socket (it was pretty bad).

Referee = Alcohol and cigarettes

Dominick-Cruz-and-Keith-Peterson-2.jpg

Commentator = Dom Cruz

I was waiting to see what Dom would say after Keith waved it off.

Dom was cool about it, 'good stoppage'. Didn't mention the previous issues.

My respect for Dom just went up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back