Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

With the state Premiers playing ‘who can shutdown borders the fastest’ when a single Covid case is reported, this season is not going to be what we want. I can’t see all games being played.

Yeah sadly going to be an on going problem for years to come also as vaccine or no vaccine covid isn't going anywhere, so unless we get a shift in mentality from government then we'll never see footy how it was in 2019 again sadly.

I'm aware but if it wasn't using funding from the mens comp it would be a failed business and an absolute dead duck.
Really an irrelevant point. The AFL have committed to a long term investment in the women’s competition that involves short run losses. Given that, if they can make more revenue from having fans at the game than it costs to have the fans at the game they will have fans at the game. Going two years without fans at the game would be a good chance of killing of the competition.

By contrast, having fans at a practice match where revenue probably doesn’t exceed costs and risks of Covid can’t be controlled would be stupidity. Stop being a sook about it just because it is somehow offensive to you.

Really an irrelevant point. The AFL have committed to a long term investment in the women’s competition that involves short run losses. Given that, if they can make more revenue from having fans at the game than it costs to have the fans at the game they will have fans at the game. Going two years without fans at the game would be a good chance of killing of the competition.

By contrast, having fans at a practice match where revenue probably doesn’t exceed costs and risks of Covid can’t be controlled would be stupidity. Stop being a sook about it just because it is somehow offensive to you.

On a side note I'm concerned about the AFL long term as huge crowd restrictions will be in place for the foreseeable future, so let's hope people keep buying memberships despite probably not getting great value out of them and let's hope the TV deals continue to keep the game running.

Anyways I'll leave it at that and let this thread get back to what it's designed for and pre season training talk.

Women's soccer in the USA have tried on three occasions that I'm aware of, to start up a stand alone competition, each time striking whilst the iron was hot. Each time they tried to piggyback off the euphoria of national team wins at major world events such as world cups, Olympic games and social justice movements, asking for equal pay during the me too thing. Only to fold every time just a short time later.

I just think that either clubs or the AFL are going to take a hit for along time if not forever before AFLW turns a direct profit, I don't think it will be too long before those that fund this project start asking how long can we prop it up if and when revenue streams start to and will dry up as the world adjust to a post pandemic economy.

Just my take.

Women's soccer in the USA have tried on three occasions that I'm aware of, to start up a stand alone competition, each time striking whilst the iron was hot. Each time they tried to piggyback off the euphoria of national team wins at major world events such as world cups, Olympic games and social justice movements, asking for equal pay during the me too thing. Only to fold every time just a short time later.

I just think that either clubs or the AFL are going to take a hit for along time if not forever
before AFLW turns a direct profit, I don't think it will be too long before those that fund this project start asking how long can we prop it up if and when revenue streams start to and will dry up as the world adjust to a post pandemic economy.

Just my take.

Absolutely bang on.

Out of interest - do aligned VFL clubs such as Box Hill make any kind of profit? I would imagine that Hawthorn ends up spending money on Box Hill as opposed to making money out of it.

There is an entire AFLW board if you want to continue the conversation about whether you like it or not there that would be great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean who’s wants to pay to see missed goals in the square and 30-40 total points scored in a game. AFLW is rubbish.
People genuinely enjoy it. Doesn’t mean you have to.

Also, I think people actually recognise the significance of giving women a shot in a sport that is traditionally male dominated. Women are over one hundred years behind the male development in the sport, give them time.

Yeah sadly going to be an on going problem for years to come also as vaccine or no vaccine covid isn't going anywhere, so unless we get a shift in mentality from government then we'll never see footy how it was in 2019 again sadly.

Common sense MUST prevail at some point.

We literally only need a tightening of the hotel quarantine system to lock ourselves inside an almost normal lifestyle reminiscent of pre-2020.

Crowds at any event are the best example of how well a state or country is controlling Covid. 75% capacity at the MCG? As far as I'm concerned that means that the final frontier of normalcy (large public gatherings) is only 25% away from reality.

The sudden fear mongering last week when ONE person who literally works in the Covid program contracted it was laughable. Don't consume mainstream media and the 'borders to close again' hogwash at the drop of a hat won't enter your mind.

Anyway, y'all got any of those training reports??

Made it down to training today. Did 4 quarters of roughly 20 minutes game time and loved every minute.

Jaeger absolutely dominated out of the middle with good delivery from Ceglar. Wingard everywhere and a cut above, just so full of natural ability.

Denver’s fitness is definitely building and I can’t help but love the kid.

Dylan Moore continues to impress me massively, think he’s in for a big year and has a loud voice out on the ground. Played as a high half forward getting around the ball but also kicked a couple of clever goals.

Tom Phillips looks great, good strength and just knows where to be.

Something seems to have clicked for Nash. I think he looks good out on the ground. Obviously has great running power and has cleaned up his kicking.

It’s so great to see Jarman out there rebounding. Him and Scrimshaw provided a lot of drive from the back line.

Kosi looked good early, very quick for his size and hard at it. Mitch Lewis looked good early too but faded.

Jeka is who I am most excited about out of the tall forward crop we have. Fantastic hands and just has the footy brain. Also very quick for his size and is a great field kick. Hartley tried his hardest at one contest to bump him off course but ended up being the one bumped out by Jeka’s strength.

Brockman was busy early but didn’t see much of him later on.

CJ has pretty much made it impossible for him not to be in the team. Always a stand out contributor and always seems to find a way to get a hand in for the spoil when he really has no right to.

There was a guy I couldn’t pick playing in the number 1 for most of the game up forward. He was really impressive but I’m guessing was a box hill boy.

Bravo looked good with some things he did, worked hard. Callow didn’t have the best delivery to work with when I was keeping an eye on him but competed well.

Downie did a few good things but also torched the ball a couple times going forward.

Excited about what Reeves is showing even as a deep forward when resting. Unfortunately got hurt and went down holding his ankle straight away after a contest though. Don’t think he played on after.

Josh Morris looking fit and strong. Never understood why we were using him as a ‘small’ cause he’s definitely not that but has speed and is hard at the man.

That’s mostly what I took in, I’ll add in anything else I remember.

Made it down to training today. Did 4 quarters of roughly 20 minutes game time and loved every minute.

Jaeger absolutely dominated out of the middle with good delivery from Ceglar. Wingard everywhere and a cut above, just so full of natural ability.

Dylan Moore continues to impress me massively, think he’s in for a big year and has a loud voice out on the ground. Played as a high half forward getting around the ball but also kicked a couple of clever goals.

Something seems to have clicked for Nash. I think he looks good out on the ground. Obviously has great running power and has cleaned up his kicking.

It’s so great to see Jarman out there rebounding. Him and Scrimshaw provided a lot of drive from the back line.

Kosi looked good early, very quick for his size and hard at it. Mitch Lewis looked good early too but faded.

Jeka is who I am most excited about out of the tall forward crop we have. Fantastic hands and just has the footy brain. Also very quick for his size and is a great field kick. Hartley tried his hardest at one contest to bump him off course but ended up being the one bumped out by Jeka’s strength.

CJ has pretty much made it impossible for him not to be in the team. Always a stand out contributor and always seems to find a way to get a hand in for the spoil when he really has no right to.

There was a guy I couldn’t pick playing in the number 1 for most of the game up forward. He was really impressive but I’m guessing was a box hill boy.

Bravo looked good with some things he did, worked hard. Callow didn’t have the best delivery to work with when I was keeping an eye on him but competed well.

Downie did a few good things but also torched the ball a couple times going forward.

Excited about what Reeves is showing even as a deep forward when resting. Unfortunately got hurt and went down holding his ankle straight away after a contest though. Don’t think he played on after.

Josh Morris looking fit and strong. Never understood why we were using him as a ‘small’ cause he’s definitely not that but has speed and is hard at the man.

Jaeger and Wingard firing early would be massive for us. I'm most excited by what you've said about Nash though- what position was he playing in mostly?

Jaeger and Wingard firing early would be massive for us. I'm most excited by what you've said about Nash though- what position was he playing in mostly?

Looked to be similar to Moore. High half forward being a link and moving up the wing more.
Copped a big hit from Hartigan which had him go off and get his head strapped up but came back out and kept going.

Hearing Kossie and Jeka being hard and strong gets me.........

We desperately need some big aggressive forwards ASAP

Did someone say training report? Love your work JT… much appreciated 🤟

n0eiz8B.gif

Box Hill had 8 players out there today for the match. Greene, Adduci, Blank, Ed Phillips, Bramble, Porter, Cunico and Josh Deluca. Unfortunately Deluca did a hammy in the warm up so didn’t even get on the field. Fergus Greene was number 1 in Orange.

Box Hill had 8 players out there today for the match. Greene, Adduci, Blank, Ed Phillips, Bramble, Porter, Cunico and Josh Deluca. Unfortunately Deluca did a hammy in the warm up so didn’t even get on the field. Fergus Greene was number 1 in Orange.

You've been huge this preseason Dutchy, what were your views on the match sim ?.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back