Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

WOW i posted earlier on the HISTORY .
JEFF playing each 1 against another ( no way will Hawks move to tassie for say $4 MIL AYR lose members/ Vic sponsors
He is trying to keep tassie as the number 1 $$$$$$$
life has changed in Tassie we now have MONA , providing 10 times the $$$$$ value that AFL do
because AFL know we are a captured market we never get a team ,Its time for us in tassie to move on
develop soccer / basketball cricket mountain bikes rowing etc etc etc etc

We went to Tassie in 2019, rented a car, spent a week driving around the state, eating in restaurants and staying in motels and hotels and Airbnbs. We even went to MONA. But the real trigger for the trip was to go to the footy.

We loved it, trip was too short so we will be back, and even considering it as the next place we will live when we leave here. You don’t know how much you will like a place until you go, but if the Hawks don’t play there, we probably go to NZ instead on that trip.

Not sure about the total ROI of the four-game deal, but there is a pile of my Hawk-related dollars floating around there that otherwise wouldn’t be.

Meh, Jeff's just trying to ensure we're adequately compensated when tassie (inevitably) get their own side. He couldn't have picked a worse day to make those comments though with everyone's emotions already frayed and, as usual, chose his words poorly.
The worst thing imo is it's taken all the gloss off Breust's re-signing

First thing that jumped in to my mind when I read that Jeff had run off at the mouth again was what level of distraction is this trying to cover up.
Read let's say something so monumentally stupid to cover up something that player a, b or C has done.
Going by the level of comment here from Jeff two Hawthorn players were involved in spit roasting of a Canadian fur seal pup and some has a video circulating.

Who are the Melbourne Hawks?

He was erroneously suggesting that it was solely Tasmania that stopped the merger - much like how it was apprently solely Tassie as to why we have a three peat.

ok girls and guys
i am in HBT , follow the Saints . There is A lot of pressure on Tas govt to do something about an AFL to commit to team in tassie ( will never happen )
Thanks to Mike Fitzpatrick when he was chair of the AFL , Gold coast came in , then GWS. He told those around via CEO Demetriou , that Tassie was a captured market and No growth in $$$$$$ ( fu** the loyalty )
AFL ego in taking on Sydney market

got North in Hobart and Hawks in Launie. Sucking Millions out of the state ,time to review sponsors deals
especially the HAWKS which has gone stale ,reduction to attendance and members sold 8 000

Andrew Willke says No $$$ from his Canberra purse until AFL commit
He is putting his $$$ behind soccer
i happy for both teams to leave

Kennett just piss and wind , looking after Both sides
Hawks will never move here , due to Members
when hawks 1st came ,not travelling well financially or member base
good for both of us but time to change
So much crap in one post, see ya.

Look at it another way, if the AFL look hard at this, and decide tassie is too hard, they can pull out and tassie premier shares the blame.

That’s another 8 games at the afl owned marvel stadium. Nice

Look at it another way, if the AFL look hard at this, and decide tassie is too hard, they can pull out and tassie premier shares the blame.

That’s another 8 games at the afl owned marvel stadium. Nice

I get the Tassie deal is lucrative - but you’d have to imagine playing the additional 4 games at Marvel, a new major sponsor plus a possible uptake in Victorian membership with a true 11 home games on offer would make up the difference.

Clarkson and an elite list of talent got us those flags Jeff.

And it’s Hawthorn Hawks you poor, simple moron.

We are Hawthorn.
Mate the 'Tassie Hawks' was a nickname bandied around during our successful period and was a small way of affirming a very lucrative sponsorship. A nickname not a rebranding. Lighten up.

I have been a Tassie member and fan of the Hawks for 40+ years. I know where we come from.

Last edited:
Kennett is a politician first.

He knows this is not a real option and he knows also the media have more footy nuff nuff bogans than any other segment (well
maybe politics) and he also knows that by digging in deep and feeding the chooks makes the compensation for the Hexit from Tassie become more substantial.

It hits a nerve with us fans and members as we actual think it’s his true thinking, but he is often 2 or 3 steps ahead to achieve the real outcome and will have all options including staying in Tassie on the table - as long as the Hawks are no worse off.

During its time, having the Tasmania badge on our guernsey, effectively being sponsored by a state, has had tremendous benefits to the club and the state of Tasmania. It won’t last forever - but one things certain Kennett will make sure when the Hexit happens it will be to the Hawks benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am curious as to why anyone (JK included) thinks that there will be a negotiation or some kind of compensation. If Tassie gets a team, our contract would simply not be renewed. Who exactly would be compensating us and why?

And if there were to be a negotiation, how do Jk’s outrageous and inflammatory comments help our position? Trying to derail and discredit the Tassie bid will surely upset the Tas govt (our main sponsor) and is already upsetting a large percentage of our members.

The reason there was talk of compensation ten years ago was that the AFL wanted to shift our Tassie games to North mid-contract. We have no such leverage now.

Jeff should shut his mouth and let things play out. If there is no Tas team we could have been the ‘good guys’ in the eyes of Tasmania rather than the villain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He knows this is not a real option and he knows also the media have more footy nuff nuff bogans than any other segment (well
maybe politics) and he also knows that by digging in deep and feeding the chooks makes the compensation for the Hexit from Tassie become more substantial.

It hits a nerve with us fans and members as we actual think it’s his true thinking, but he is often 2 or 3 steps ahead to achieve the real outcome and will have all options including staying in Tassie on the table - as long as the Hawks are no worse off.

During its time, having the Tasmania badge on our guernsey, effectively being sponsored by a state, has had tremendous benefits to the club and the state of Tasmania. It won’t last forever - but one things certain Kennett will make sure when the Hexit happens it will be to the Hawks benefit.

Stop talking sense

I don't think we should be emailing Jeff. He gets to play it back to you with a straight bat that gives you nothing in return. And it goes nowhere.

If possible we should all be emailing the rest of the Board to vent our frustrations. Nothing would be more uncomfortable than having to explain to the rest of the Board what are his intentions. And it would hopefully make some of them have ore oversight into what he is trying to achieve.

Does anyone have their email addresses?

Good to see that after yesterday’s foot-in-mouth episode, Jeff has returned his focus to where it should be today as the president of the HFC.... throwing mud at the state government once more.

🤦‍♂️

I am curious as to why anyone (JK included) thinks that there will be a negotiation or some kind of compensation. If Tassie gets a team, our contract would simply not be renewed. Who exactly would be compensating us and why?.
the AFL.
Our sponsorship is linked to playing games in Tassie. The AFL grant a licence that would quash our agreement for good and the investment made by the club in Tassie and the effect on Tassie based membership would be the grounds of compensation.

Kennett is simply playing political football.

Good to see that after yesterday’s foot-in-mouth episode, Jeff has returned his focus to where it should be today as the president of the HFC.... throwing mud at the state government once more.

🤦‍♂️
We can thank Jeff for the closure of the Fairfield Infectious Diseases Hospital in 1996. What a premier he was!

Finally someone that gets it. Well done.

Remember when Jeff said Clarko should be dropped to coach Box Hill.... 😂

Jeff wanted Clarko sacked before his three-peat. Said we needed "fresh ideas". And you can't have the same person on charge for more than seven years.

If Jeff for got his way there would be no three-peat, maybe no more premierships than 2008.

the AFL.
Our sponsorship is linked to playing games in Tassie. The AFL grant a licence that would quash our agreement for good and the investment made by the club in Tassie and the effect on Tassie based membership would be the grounds of compensation.

Kennett is simply playing political football.

I think I am missing something here...I get we’d lose members and $$$, but why would that lead to compensation from anyone ?

Jeff wanted Clarko sacked before his three-peat. Said we needed "fresh ideas". And you can't have the same person on charge for more than seven years.

If Jeff for got his way there would be no three-peat, maybe no more premierships than 2008.

Probably no 2008 full stop.

Way back in 2007 there was talk that he wanted to flip Clarke and employ Lethal.

I think Ted Ballieu said it best when he said it’s been a while since he backed a winner

I think I am missing something here...I get we’d lose members and $$$, but why would that lead to compensation from anyone ?

It would have, mid contract 2010, when the AFL offered us a financial deal that was according to Jeff at the time more financially appealing than the Tasmanian contract.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but imagine the extra Friday and Saturday Night slots in 2012-16 when we were flying.

Back Franklin and Rioli were number 1 and 2 for league wide merchandise sales.

By comparison our crowd drawing ability (and therefore our bargaining power) is considerably lower in 2021 compared to 2011

You had me until Hexit - then you lost me

It would have, mid contract 2010, when the AFL offered us a financial deal that was according to Jeff at the time more financially appealing than the Tasmanian contract.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but imagine the extra Friday and Saturday Night slots in 2012-16 when we were flying.

Back Franklin and Rioli were number 1 and 2 for league wide merchandise sales.

By comparison our crowd drawing ability (and therefore our bargaining power) is considerably lower in 2021 compared to 2011
Yes, but we’ve got no chance of compo now have we?

Kennett is not a politician first. He is a former politician. Right now he’s appointed to be an advocate for the HAWTHORN Football Club - not the ‘Tassie Hawks’. I really don’t care about this ‘4D chess’ bullshit. Name me one other club President who is openly advocating relocation of their club to the press. You can’t because no matter the end game it’s an absurd thing to be doing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back