Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s up for renewal. The compensation assumes the Hawks are forced out of any current deal or out of renegotiating another term based on the AFL removing that option (by no longer agreeing to fixture 4 Hawks Games in Tassie which is mandatory in the agreement).
On Big Footy a couple of years back there was an excellent debate on the pros and cons of staying or leaving Tassie. The compensation factor was detailed in this debate in more depth - also, in the know folk had it on seemingly good authority that the AFL had opened up discussions on compensation so this wasn’t all Hawk chatter.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s up for renewal. The compensation assumes the Hawks are forced out of any current deal or out of renegotiating another term based on the AFL removing that option (by no longer agreeing to fixture 4 Hawks Games in Tassie which is mandatory in the agreement).
On Big Footy a couple of years back there was an excellent debate on the pros and cons of staying or leaving Tassie. The compensation factor was detailed in this debate in more depth - also, in the know folk had it on seemingly good authority that the AFL had opened up discussions on compensation so this wasn’t all Hawk chatter.

Isn’t it the sponsor that is threatening to halt the deal unless they get what they want (which will also end the deal)? Can’t see the AFL compensating one of its richer clubs over this.

I suspect Tasmania is bluffing a bit and they will extend in some form regardless of a team commitment from the AFL, but I guess we will find out this year sometime.

Is he a paid employee of the Hawthorn football club?

He’s not paid - I got that wrong.

He is appointed by members however and something tells me if you took a member vote it would be a landslide no to relocation.

Do you not think that he would already know that?

Then why say what he did? If he’s such a brilliant negotiator and this is all some big tactic - are the apologists here so naive to think that Gutewin and other key figures on the Tasmanian side of things wouldn’t know that? Or is this the kind of code that only the steadfast Kennett apologist coven of Bigfooty can crack?

So if it’s going to agitate Melbourne based members - which are the substantial contingent of the membership base - and it would be a known bluff by those on the other side of the negotiations - why bloody say it? All it’s done is made us look like we have a president who couldn’t give a single s**t about the identity and heritage of the club. I honestly don’t see the strategic genius of doing this - and as such I want a president at the helm who can negotiate without bluster and when talking about the club with a microphone in his face doesn’t talk about relocating to an area that in the same breath has been stated as unviable for a stand-alone team.

In fact the AFL is already shifting our 7th game to Marvel anyway.

Probably buttering us up for a 6-5 Carlton like MCG Marvel deal

Probably not the worse thing though, our Marvel Stadium home crowds have been reasonable and arguably better than the other MCG tenants (32.5k and 28.4K v WCE, 32k v GC, 48k v WB, 29k v PA)

The fact that despite now having regular home games at Marvel we haven’t negotiated member seating for our 30,000 or so MCG ticket holders is an inditement on our administration
I’d expect nothing less than 10 MCG 1 Marvel like we had pre Tassie. We ain’t Carlton.

I’d expect nothing less than 10 MCG 1 Marvel like we had pre Tassie. We ain’t Carlton.

I mean we weren’t in 2010 but 2021?

I would argue that a resurgent Carlton (basically Richmond 2013/14) has a great deal more stock than Hawthorn.

They have more fans and much more clout. 3rd biggest Vic club as opposed to the 5th...

Even more farcical that we knocked back the offer in 2010

Jeff Kennett shouldn't be making statement like moving Hawthorn to Tasmania. He would be out of the club quickly if he wanted to push that idea. The problem with Tasmania getting a licence for an AFL team is that they haven't got the population in the state to support a team. These are comments that I made earlier about a Tasmanian side in the AFL.
yUby3U4.jpg

Looking at those numbers you can see that Tasmania has a population of about 530,000 people. Also, unlike other states in Australia where most of the population live in the cities, only half live in Hobart, 270,000 people.

Look at South Australia, 1,710,000 people which 1,300,000 in Adelaide. That is 650,000 people in the city of Adelaide for each of their two teams. That is only in Adelaide, there is 850,000 in the state for each team. Looking at those figures, Hobart hasn't got the population to support a team in the AFL (Adelaide 650,000 to Hobart 270,000).

When you look at the state as a whole you get the problem they have in Tasmania with competitions across the whole state. With populations of 150,000 in Launceston and 110,000 in the North West there is always arguments over the competition. Were will a Tasmanian team play its home games, five at Hobart, four at Launceston and one in the North West. The problem is that the team won't have a base to call home. If they did, the team would be from that town and the other parts of Tasmania will complain.

Tasmania is serviced well by Hawthorn and North Melbourne playing home games at Launceston and Hobart. The people of Tasmania deserve some AFL football, but there isn't enough people in Tasmania to have an AFL team.

I added the number of people in Geelong to the list because someone would say what about them. Yes, Geelong has a team in a town of 200,000 people. But the Cats have played in this competition since the start. Geelong is also supported by many people in Melbourne. So Geelong has the back up of the 5,190,000 in Melbourne. something that a Tasmanian team won't have.

It is a shame that these are the numbers we have, but 650,000 football following people to make a team survive in the AFL, like we have in Adelaide, Tasmania doesn't have the population in the whole state, and in a city they are nowhere near. I put this thread here to state what is holding back a team from Tasmania entering the league. Also, would the side become the 19th team in the AFL, which would introduce the weekly bye again. The competition is all set up to run with 18 teams in deals with pay-TV and other companies. Does the AFL want to ruin that?

But Hawthorn has a bright future in Melbourne. The number of chilldren that I see that support the Hawks is outstanding. It isn't our recent success that has pushed this along, it is the parents of children that became Hawthorn supporters during the 1980's that are now introducing their children to the Hawks. The numbers that we have as part of our membership of the club has been over 70,000 for a few years now. The number of members hasn't dropped because of us going down the ladder. Hopefully we will return to the top soon and membership will go up to 100,000. We are the only club that is based in the population strong area of the south eastern suburbs.

it’s to do with the value of the sponsorship and the clubs long term investment with Tassie.
Being forced out of that agreement due to the AFL taking a different course and reimbursement for any loss.
My understanding, under the current agreement for the Hawks to leave Tassie would be at the request of the AFL, therefore in simple terms - pay up.

The contract ends this year. There would be no compensation. None of the parties involved would have breached the contract.

Playing games at Marvel Stadium (fka Etihad Stadium, fka Telstra Dome, fka Colonial Stadium) is something that I don't like. The ground was the reason why Waverley Park isn't a AFL venue any more. Hawthorn is a home team at the MCG, Carlton is a home team at Marvel. We have to play a game at Marvel so enough games are played there. so we have to. But we won't be playing 4 to 5 games there, Hawthorn is a home team at the MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But this would simply be our sponsor electing not to renew the contract. This is not the AFL cutting our games and moving the contract over to North.
Like when any sponsor ends a long term agreement, it is sad for those who put in all the time and effort, but unless someone has breached the contract, there would be no grounds for compensation.

I would argue that a resurgent Carlton (basically Richmond 2013/14) has a great deal more stock than Hawthorn.

They have more fans and much more clout. 3rd biggest Vic club as opposed to the 5th...

We’ve been playing in Tassie since 2001. We played 10-1 MCG / Marvel then and all 11 at MCG year before I believe.

We are a much bigger club than we were then.

And please, Carlton? I’ve been hearing about the resurgence for 20 years now. We have more members, more in the bank and given basic statistics of modern footy, we are a bigger chance of winning a flag before them.

Regardless, the point is moot. They’re home ground is Marvel. Ours is the G

Last time l checked they haven't had more members than us than since the early 200's! - Carlton that is.
If we played those 4 TAS. games at Etihad - yeah our membership will plummet & I'm talking Saints/Bulldogs numbers.

Also how would the Kingston City Council be feeling today?
Hearing the news that the President of the club supposedly planning to build a multi-million $ state of the art sports precinct in their district make these comments?
Foolish, absurd & polarizing!
He has to go now, no two ways about it!
That interview on the radio yesterday & the comment that cost us Dingley funding last year towards the Andrews Govt.
Just made our club look 2nd rate.
Jesus even North have come out & valiantly stated they would never consider a move away from Melbourne.
FFs Jeff just park your bags & fu&k OFF!
How I'd love another Ian Dicker. Who even though didn't grow up a Hawks supporter showed the passion & loyalty which JK lacks!

Playing games at Marvel Stadium (fka Etihad Stadium, fka Telstra Dome, fka Colonial Stadium) is something that I don't like. The ground was the reason why Waverley Park isn't a AFL venue any more. Hawthorn is a home team at the MCG, Carlton is a home team at Marvel. We have to play a game at Marvel so enough games are played there. so we have to. But we won't be playing 4 to 5 games there, Hawthorn is a home team at the MCG.
There will be a new minimum number of games at Marvel from 2025 when the current contracts end (Essendon + catering).
How many games we play at Marvel would depend on what other clubs, particularly Ess & North, do. If ESS stay 7/4 and North play all 11 at Marvel, we might only get two. If North moved their four Tassie games to Albury and Ess move games to MCG, we will get three or four.

Only an organisation as incompetent as the Afl could build a ground where grass is expected to grow only inches atop a concrete slab. The place is an unmitigated disaster, it was outdated within a decade of completion and is the embodiment of everything that went wrong with the overhaul/creation of the docklands precinct.
The players hate playing there, fans hate going there and the pedestrian s**t fight you experience upon leaving the ground is far from ideal under normal circumstances, let alone during a pandemic.

Last time l checked they haven't had more members than us than since the early 200's! - Carlton that is.
If we played those 4 TAS. games at Etihad - yeah our membership will plummet & I'm talking Saints/Bulldogs numbers.

Neither did Richmond pre 2018.

I think it’s pretty obvious that pound for pound the afl would regard Carlton to be a bigger club than Hawthorn.

That said, it’s clear that we are the fifth member of the Beatles as Eddie McGuire once described us...

McGuire said ''you can chuck Hawthorn in as the fifth Beatle in recent times''

Given generational support is incredibly difficult to curb (really the only meaningful change since 1970 is Hawthorn replacing Melbourne) our rise is quite remarkable...

So the fifth largest Victorian club with a bullet which is why the AFL will never allow us to actually relocate.

I guess this is why Kennett can make these flippant comments without anyone taking the threat seriously

Last edited:
We’ve been playing in Tassie since 2001. We played 10-1 MCG / Marvel then and all 11 at MCG year before I believe.

We are a much bigger club than we were then.

And please, Carlton? I’ve been hearing about the resurgence for 20 years now. We have more members, more in the bank and given basic statistics of modern footy, we are a bigger chance of winning a flag before them.

Regardless, the point is moot. They’re home ground is Marvel. Ours is the G

We’re only getting 6 MCG games as it is despite the originally contract stipulating all 7 Melbourne based home games plus all games against co-tenants at the MCG.

There was even some wild speculation that we’d only have 5 MCG home games in 2020 (before the AFL moved our drafted home game against the Dogs back to the MCG)

What happened in 2000/01 has no relevance to 2021/22

I've not seen him stir up the fan base like this in his time at Hawthorn. He's said some dumb things but this takes the cake. He'd wanna be bloody careful or soon he'll find another board looking to challenge him if he keeps pushing this s**t. Or is he going senile in his old age like Sheedy and old mate Don Scott?

In fairness to Sheeds, you'd never once hear him raise the option in the media of Essendon relocating to another state.

Makes my skin crawl. It's just embarrassing.

I've not seen him stir up the fan base like this in his time at Hawthorn. He's said some dumb things but this takes the cake. He'd wanna be bloody careful or soon he'll find another board looking to challenge him if he keeps pushing this sh*t. Or is he going senile in his old age like Sheedy and old mate Don Scott?

In fairness to Sheeds, you'd never once hear him raise the option in the media of Essendon relocating to another state.

Makes my skin crawl. It's just embarrassing.

I’ve sent it to Don and Sam on the YCBS podcast

Will be interesting to see if it gets a run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back