Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah I think 2019 was odd in that we commenced the season well but seemed to have lost our way after the bye (from memory), and struggled on the scorebaord
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that we started struggling to score when Stephenson got banned. His presence in our forward line in 2018/19 can not be understated.

Just to add. I'm not a fan of WHE, but he's going to be a 150 game player - maybe more. For pick 16, WHE would be a win.

His biggest issue is the lack of consistency, week to week, and even quarter to quarter. But he's quick, a very good mark for his size, and 1 of the few outside runners we have had who generally uses the footy pretty well.

He might well be a very different player, but if I’m going to go by comparisons to other players for a low possession winning medium forward who’s strong in the air, WHE is a more realistic comparison than James Hird, whom others have likened him to, despite him having little to no time in the middle of the ground, and not having shown even a fraction of Hirds ability to accumulate the ball.

We all hope the kid becomes a jet, but I think those of us who are a bit wary of taking those dynamic medium forward types that don’t get huge amounts of the ball early in the draft, have a right to be so.

I'm always loathe to make player comparisons until I've at least seen someone 1st hand but the video I've seen to date, he reminds me a lot of Daniel Menzel with better defensive instincts. If he can be anywhere near that sort of player (without the injuries) we'll definitely have a player.

I'm always loathe to make player comparisons until I've at least seen someone 1st hand but the video I've seen to date, he reminds me a lot of Daniel Menzel with better defensive instincts. If he can be anywhere near that sort of player (without the injuries) we'll definitely have a player.
Also he has played back as well. Seems to be a versatile player who is skilled and can take a mark. May very well be a replacement for Howe in years to come.
And with Langdon gone, there are 2 strong marking defenders who need to be replaced now and in the near future

His biggest issue is the lack of consistency, week to week, and even quarter to quarter. But he's quick, a very good mark for his size, and 1 of the few outside runners we have had who generally uses the footy pretty well.

Always nearly takes mark of the week every week, but just can't make it stick, always looks a likely type, but just doesn't do enough, always bobs up for a decent quarter or half of footy, but just doesn't string the quarters and games together. Always looks like he might take it to another level, but never quite manages to. Frustrating player for sure, shows at least the appearance of brilliance, (in moments) and then goes missing for long periods.

That's a much better comparison

Always nearly takes mark of the week every week, but just can't make it stick, always looks a likely type, but just doesn't do enough, always bobs up for a decent quarter or half of footy, but just doesn't string the quarters and games together. Always looks like he might take it to another level, but never quite manages to. Frustrating player for sure, shows at least the appearance of brilliance, (in moments) and then goes missing for long periods.

He also frustrates me when he tries to mark the ball like a crocodile, it's like he's going to get this, then his hands and arms do weird things and he drops it

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that we started struggling to score when Stephenson got banned. His presence in our forward line in 2018/19 can not be understated.
Yep (averaging 1.75 goals a game) and I wouldn’t dismiss the impact of Taylor Adams out injured for most of the middle part of the year. It was no coincidence when Adams returned later that we got going again.

And I’ve said for a long time that Tom Langdon’s importance cannot be underestimated. He was out injured from Rd9. He played all of 2018 (after missing so much footy previous years), we make a GF and he almost wins the Norm Smith.

Last edited:
Rather than being disappointed with WHE comparisons, If Henry ends up like WHE, but with a bit more weight and aggression, like you've got to assume, it will be a big win.

Rather than being disappointed with WHE comparisons, If Henry ends up like WHE, but with a bit more weight and aggression, like you've got to assume, it will be a big win.

WHE is a role player. Henry’s bottom should be WHE. He hopefully is a lot better.

WHE may well be out of the team by the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WHE is a role player. Henry’s bottom should be WHE. He hopefully is a lot better.

WHE 1st year was Very Good

Isn’t Jen classified as an “ Essential “ worker for BF

Training report please?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
With this lockdown, I'm unsure when they are training. Tomorrow probably. In groups of 10.. That would go over more than 2 hrs for "exercise" haha

No pick 16 will be "at worst" a 150 game 150 goal swingman. That's ridiculous

WHE is mediocre.

I’m just saying he should be aiming for Hird not WHE.
WHE is actually very good as a forward played out of the goal square, which is what he was until late 2018. Unfortunately a move higher up to half forward has damaged his form and confidence. Hopefully he plays deeper this year, because at his best he’s a genuinely dangerous target. If Henry can become a version of WHE with extra agression and defensive efforts he’ll end up being a very good player.

WHE is actually very good as a forward played out of the goal square, which is what he was until late 2018. Unfortunately a move higher up to half forward has damaged his form and confidence. Hopefully he plays deeper this year, because at his best he’s a genuinely dangerous target. If Henry can become a version of WHE with extra agression and defensive efforts he’ll end up being a very good player.

He had a Big 1st Season and Looked like we got a Gun but since then been Average.

Guess Stephenson taking WHE Spot hurt him

That`s the conundrum, Stephenson, (when we had him),De Goey, Elliott ,WHE , are all at their best and damaging from the goal square , one has now gone , who best suits for optimum output ! guess they will all rotate from deep forward

That`s the conundrum, Stephenson, (when we had him),De Goey, Elliott ,WHE , are all at their best and damaging from the goal square , one has now gone , who best suits for optimum output ! guess they will all rotate from deep forward

Could say Henry has taken Stephenson's Spot

Seems we have another FS prospect to monitor.

View attachment 1058277

Las Vegas sends congrats to Dane and Taylor on the safe arrival of a future customer

ezgif-3-a29bb1c7bc62.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back