Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Respectfully disagree Rub, i see Cunners as a natural instinctive player reads the game extremely well, as a midfielder just hasn’t been given a proper opportunity injuries have somewhat been a factor but coaching has also prevented him more of a chance.. I don’t think he should ever be given the roll of a run with role as a midfielder, imo he’s more the player too just let him do his thing along with being accountable every chance he can... Once we start clicking as a team with better run and ball movement he’ll also become much more dangerous as a forward with his skill set...

If he is as you say a naturally instinctive player, he has a funny way of showing it. He needs to get a giddy-up

It’s an interesting post Gbatman. The point to make here is that other than Walsh, SPS and Cuningham are the only two of our young players to put in match winning games in the midfield (2019 v Dogs for SPS and 2020 v Bombers for Cuningham). So is it the case that those games came in matches where the opposition wasn’t hard enough at them?

Nailed it.

Walsh is a freak. It generally takes a long time in the modern game for onballers to develop. Not only to young players have to develop a massive running ability but they need to develop size and strength and have to have the skills and the will to take and give out a lot of physicality. For many it can take years and years to develop and some never get there.

I mean....that's just patently incorrect.

The competition is littered with quality mids who are underwhelming when it comes to raw physicality. Past and present.

Pendles, Bont, Merrett, Hunter, Sidebottom, Gaff, Guthrie, Shiel, Murphy, McCluggage, Higgins...

If we want or need to use SPS or Cunners in the middle, they'll be fine. They won't be Cripps, but alongside him they won't need to be.

You're underestimating a lot of those players, they have no or few issues at all but non of them really shirk the contact like SPS does and Cuningham who tends to just avoid it. You're comparing chalk with cheese there.

Trust me, our coach is not getting this one wrong, he's bang on the money. Both players have been well below par when it comes to winning contests and putting the body on the line which is fine, some young players take a while to develop that but until they do there is zero chance they can have these weaknesses and get a look in in the midfield.

Once they demonstrate strength in these areas I believe they will get midfield time and from then on how much midfield they play is determined by how well they go. Skills and athleticism mean nothing if you aren't strong over the ball in the middle. When these guys are ready for it we will know but to date they haven't been. The coach knows what he's doing.

Ye Willo moves really well....and does look best 22 especially if he has had a good consecutive preseason considering he was moth balled for more than several months year before with his back issues..just covers a lot of ground and does his job besides the odd awful clanger or odd embarrassing error which he absorbs and rebounds fine...great runner and has some very nice skills ...great find,when he matures he will become possibly great,his window could be high high,he has the grunt,he really has....Plus we got a lot more,we need to bring it to Carlton this year,ruthless focus on sustained perfomance...these guys are good and we do have a bit of it on our list, few of them hopefully can really find a new level to work with Walsh,Cripps,Saad,Williams,Setterfield,Weitering, Doc..
Fish-has a crack and is actually very very good.
Samo-samo the wise never plays outside his comfort zone... he is a lot better than a lot think and will lift
Willo-covers halfback with relentless enthusiasm
Cunno-has dazzled with a few elite performances,can he take off?
JSOS-will be there working hard as usual,i would say he will stay best 22 even with added competition ,he will improve further
Dow-is he a bust.....i hope not
Gibbons..great get,and works very well
The best thing in regards to the footage of JSOS was him kicking accurately for goal.
If he can convert chances from 40 meters or closer he is a chance of holding his spot.
I don’t see his value in the team with competition for spots unless he converts his chances

gbatman - I have a lot of sympathy for your point of view regarding required mongrel . Williams | Martin have it - Teague apparently has Martin training with mids as much as forwards - and has singled out Stocker as being an onballer a few days ago. However Cuningham will no doubt be given ooppoprtinities on a wing - he has the speed and kicking ability to rotate through there.

The best thing in regards to the footage of JSOS was him kicking accurately for goal.
If he can convert chances from 40 meters or closer he is a chance of holding his spot.
I don’t see his value in the team with competition for spots unless he converts his chances
With our lack of Key defenders. An injury to Weits or Jones could open a spot in our forward line for Jack as we would send McGovern or Cas back to fill the void.

gbatman - I have a lot of sympathy for your point of view regarding required mongrel . Williams | Martin have it - Teague apparently has Martin training with mids as much as forwards - and has singled out Stocker as being an onballer a few days ago. However Cuningham will no doubt be given ooppoprtinities on a wing - he has the speed and kicking ability to rotate through there.
I dont think Cuninham isnt "tough" he's just a player that looks better when he has a clear path to the ball with less contact. If there's too many bodies, he doesnt have the strength or power to bust through like a bigger bodied player. I reckon Murph in the last 3-4 years is a good comparison for the type of player he will be.

With our lack of Key defenders. An injury to Weits or Jones could open a spot in our forward line for Jack as we would send McGovern or Cas back to fill the void.
If we're missing Weitering or Jones it'd be Levi that goes back to cover, like he's done before.

If Gov goes back it's as a 3rd tall defender type, either covering for a Plow/Marchbank or because we need an additional taller type defender back on a specific week.

If we needed two players to go back I'd guess it'd be more likely be Levi & Parks coming in before sending both Levi & Gov back.

Or McDonald, if we sign him.

I dont think Cuninham isnt "tough" he's just a player that looks better when he has a clear path to the ball with less contact. If there's too many bodies, he doesnt have the strength or power to bust through like a bigger bodied player. I reckon Murph in the last 3-4 years is a good comparison for the type of player he will be.

Cuningham doesn't know how good he is - that is his problem.

D. Teague -
I felt last year we went out there every week and we could have won. We could have won every game. We've got to go and do that now. But in terms of our expectations, we've got to get better. If we get better, then that will put us in a position to play finals.

At the end of the year, I was probably a bit frustrated. I thought we could be playing finals, because our form had been quite solid. But it was a great learning year.

Cuningham doesn't know how good he is - that is his problem.

He's a thinker who plays so much better when he stops thinking and plays on instinct. Not an easy thing to coach out of someone, because the more you try and coach it the more thoughts you put in their head :p

Makes him very dangerous in the contest up forward when the ball gets there, and when played on ball. But I think he'll get lost on a wing or at half back.

If we're missing Weitering or Jones it'd be Levi that goes back to cover, like he's done before.

If Gov goes back it's as a 3rd tall defender type, either covering for a Plow/Marchbank or because we need an additional taller type defender back on a specific week.

If we needed two players to go back I'd guess it'd be more likely be Levi & Parks coming in before sending both Levi & Gov back.

Or McDonald, if we sign him.

levi is going to be tired playing kpd kpf and ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DC isn't a smart footballer per se but he's got the tools and the reaction times to make great things happen - he may never be the workhorse accumulator that we'd like but I can see him stepping his game up as we start winning clean ball from centre more often.
Additionally he, Martin & Murph are the players that can make something happen from a broken play and that is particularly valuable in modern footy & something that teams like Richmond do much better than our side at present.

Nailed it.

Walsh is a freak. It generally takes a long time in the modern game for onballers to develop. Not only to young players have to develop a massive running ability but they need to develop size and strength and have to have the skills and the will to take and give out a lot of physicality. For many it can take years and years to develop and some never get there.

You're underestimating a lot of those players, they have no or few issues at all but non of them really shirk the contact like SPS does and Cuningham who tends to just avoid it. You're comparing chalk with cheese there.

Trust me, our coach is not getting this one wrong, he's bang on the money. Both players have been well below par when it comes to winning contests and putting the body on the line which is fine, some young players take a while to develop that but until they do there is zero chance they can have these weaknesses and get a look in in the midfield.

Once they demonstrate strength in these areas I believe they will get midfield time and from then on how much midfield they play is determined by how well they go. Skills and athleticism mean nothing if you aren't strong over the ball in the middle. When these guys are ready for it we will know but to date they haven't been. The coach knows what he's doing.

Gman I love your views, generally I agree with your analysis, on this occasion I disagree

Cuners doesn't shirk a contest, he just struggles to read the play on a consistent basis. I still believe the best form of development is playing a run with role on accumulatiors

SPS doesn't lose a lot of contest, but his style of trying to corral regularly comes accross as sitting back far too often. I believe him playing off HB was 2 part, 1 lack of options in composure due to injuries and 2, to improve his defensive game.

Both should be played as HF's/mids

Gman I love your views, generally I agree with your analysis, on this occasion I disagree

Cuners doesn't shirk a contest, he just struggles to read the play on a consistent basis. I still believe the best form of development is playing a run with role on accumulatiors

SPS doesn't lose a lot of contest, but his style of trying to corral regularly comes accross as sitting back far too often. I believe him playing off HB was 2 part, 1 lack of options in composure due to injuries and 2, to improve his defensive game.

Both should be played as HF's/mids
My general view is that both players would go if they had to go - in relation to putting body on line.
However, I think it is their inability to win the contest when repeated efforts are required. ie. hot contested ball - you'd see Cripps, Curnow, Walsh continually dig into the contest repeated times to win a ball. I don't think SPS or Cuningham have that physical stamina for multiple, repeated efforts in a short time span.

levi is going to be tired playing kpd kpf and ruck.
It's the hypothetical where Weitering or Jones are unavailable. We know Levi can do a decent job at CHB, like he did when Jones had ongoing concussion issues from the Zurhaar Tackle Perhaps we'd opt to bring in Parks as a replacement, keeping Levi as kpf/2nd ruck. Perhaps we'd send Levi back and play TDK as fwd/ruck with Pitto main ruck. There's also the possibility that one of McDonald or Moore are on the list and they'd be in the team. Or that Harry, Gov, Jack or someone else takes the relief ruck duties for a short time.

The scenario where we'd genuinely need Levi in 3 parts of the ground at once would be catastrophic; probably have to be missing all of Weitering, Jones, TDK, & Pittonet. Let's not dwell on that kind of thinking...

It's the hypothetical where Weitering or Jones are unavailable. We know Levi can do a decent job at CHB, like he did when Jones had ongoing concussion issues from the Zurhaar Tackle Perhaps we'd opt to bring in Parks as a replacement, keeping Levi as kpf/2nd ruck. Perhaps we'd send Levi back and play TDK as fwd/ruck with Pitto main ruck. There's also the possibility that one of McDonald or Moore are on the list and they'd be in the team. Or that Harry, Gov, Jack or someone else takes the relief ruck duties for a short time.

The scenario where we'd genuinely need Levi in 3 parts of the ground at once would be catastrophic; probably have to be missing all of Weitering, Jones, TDK, & Pittonet. Let's not dwell on that kind of thinking...

WOOSH......

When I think SPS the first thought that comes to mind is 'dinky kicks'. SPS is more Murphy - without the burst speed Murph used to have. Murph's kicking no longer has the bullet penetration it had in his youth - the awareness is stil there. SPS hs never had a long kick - which distributors need as part of their arsenal and doesn't have above average leg speed.
When I think Cuningham - the first thought that comes to mind - gives him the ball and a meter of space. Cuningham is more an outside Murphy - without the experience.

WOOSH......
hey, you never know, maybe he will need to play KPF, KPD & ruck for us. Pitto & TDK currently out, could happen if we sign Maher or Moore and a key back gets a head knock or something at training...

Although, he left the intraclub early with ice on his knee so maybe it'll be Jones having to play all 3...

Yea indeed the nightmare scenario- which is why I suggested that Levi is actually one of the most valuable players on our list, not many players in the AFL are able to cover all those positions.

When I think SPS the first thought that comes to mind is 'dinky kicks'. SPS is more Murphy - without the burst speed Murph used to have. Murph's kicking no longer has the bullet penetration it had in his youth - the awareness is stil there. SPS hs never had a long kick - which distributors need as part of their arsenal and doesn't have above average leg speed.
When I think Cuningham - the first thought that comes to mind - gives him the ball and a meter of space. Cuningham is more an outside Murphy - without the experience.
That's my problem with SPS also. He doesn't have great mobility or strength and isn't an elite kick.

The other thing Murph used to have was insane brakes. He could stop on a dime, he did it all the time to get around defenders. Cuners doesn't quite have that, in fact I compare his run to Judd more than Murphy. Judd was a power runner, Murphy was more a smooth runner and to me Cuningham is a power runner.

Last edited:
If he is as you say a naturally instinctive player, he has a funny way of showing it. He needs to get a giddy-up

I agree, Cuner's best is blindingly good.

But, showing it in parts of games in parts of a season won't cut it anymore.

Either he shows some real, consistent form in 2021 or he's gone - traded at best, otherwise delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back