Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

The scenario where we'd genuinely need Levi in 3 parts of the ground at once would be catastrophic; probably have to be missing all of Weitering, Jones, TDK, & Pittonet. Let's not dwell on that kind of thinking...
Currently TDK, Pittonet, Kemp, Charlie, Marchy, Levi and Gov are either all injured or have had injury concerns in the last week. So the notion that it's unreasonable to assume that so many talls will be injured simultaneously is wrong, especially when you consider the rigours of a proper AFL game.

So if something like this actually happened during the season, what would our KPP structure look like?

Defenders - Jones/Weiters - Hoping we pick up OMac so we have at least some sort of coverage if one of them went down.
Forwards - Harry/JSOS/Kennedy - Decent, but could be better.
Rucks - ???? - I'd assume OMac/Moore would be our main ruck. I'll let that speak for itself.

I really wish we had a developing KPD and ruck/forward which we could rely on in the future.

That's my problem with SPS also. He doesn't have great mobility or strength and isn't an elite kick.

The other thing Murph used to have was insane brakes. He could stop on a dime, he did it all the time to get around defenders. Cuners doesn't quite have that, in fact I compare his run to Judd more than Murphy. Judd was a power runner, Murphy was more a smooth runner and to me Cuningham is a power runner.

Fisher goes one better than Murph - Fish does it laterally, Cuningham is very light footed he can dance through congestion - like Martin does.

Willow imo is a little like Setterfield. On their previous performances they may not be walk up starts if we have improved dramatically but I think most of us fully expect both of them to improve also. Willow really doesn’t have to improve much and he is an automatic selection, which he is fully expected to.

Unfortunately both Williamson and Setterfield have to improve their ball handling, they are both a little “fumbly” and not consistent one touch players.

This ability separates the good and the great players in most field sports.

Time for a trip to Ciccone's Fish :laughv1:

qzGM0L0R.jpg

My general view is that both players would go if they had to go - in relation to putting body on line.
However, I think it is their inability to win the contest when repeated efforts are required. ie. hot contested ball - you'd see Cripps, Curnow, Walsh continually dig into the contest repeated times to win a ball. I don't think SPS or Cuningham have that physical stamina for multiple, repeated efforts in a short time span.

That's true, but it's not the style, inside/contested mids like Cripps and Ed don't have the footskills of balanced mids like Cuners and SPS

They all have their areas of strength which is a better balance for the side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fish doesn't need Ciccone's.

He just needs someone to cut off the back of his hair...

View attachment 1058983
How dare you Aph!
BTW
I was booked to judge a mullet competition on the NSW South Coast in 2020 but it was cancelled.
The judging was points based on the following criteria:
Length
Ballance
Suitablility
Rudeness (weighted)

True dinks

The 80's called .......

They want their mullet back. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

How dare you Aph!
BTW
I was booked to judge a mullet competition on the NSW South Coast in 2020 but it was cancelled.
The judging was points based on the following criteria:
Length
Ballance
Suitablility
Rudeness (weighted)

True dinks

Mullets are partly hilarious, but mostly hideous.

They were kind of acceptable in the 80s because we didn't know better and the 80s were a decade that taste forgot.

There is no real excuse for them these days.

I hate that half the males under 25yo these days are sporting one.

#ImAGrumpyOldBoomer

Mullets are partly hilarious, but mostly hideous.

They were kind of acceptable in the 80s because we didn't know better and the 80s were a decade that taste forgot.

There is no real excuse for them these days.

I hate that half the males under 25yo these days are sporting one.

#ImAGrumpyOldBoomer
Was proud of my full bodied, brown with a sun bleached layer on top, wavy (almost afro at times) mullet back in the day.
Now salt and pepper (at best, considerably more salt if honest), smallish bald spot and thin wispy hair that will not sit if I get any
decent length to it. Still leave a bit of length for protection from sun in Summer, but is a poor excuse comparatively.
#Ohforagoodmulletagain.

Not in to these bastardized versions with shaved off bits and pieces though. Full growth or short back and sides please young fellas.

Gman I love your views, generally I agree with your analysis, on this occasion I disagree

Cuners doesn't shirk a contest, he just struggles to read the play on a consistent basis. I still believe the best form of development is playing a run with role on accumulatiors

SPS doesn't lose a lot of contest, but his style of trying to corral regularly comes accross as sitting back far too often. I believe him playing off HB was 2 part, 1 lack of options in composure due to injuries and 2, to improve his defensive game.

Both should be played as HF's/mids

Have to disagree with this then, SPS has a real weakness with avoiding contact and making skill errors because of not bodylining the ball as well as losing too many one on ones. Hardly screams midfielder. He did however improve a lot in the last few games, I think Teague is really driving physicality in the group which is a must and that's why he doesn't play him in the center.

Cuningham is an outside player and a run with role could be good. Could maybe play a bit of wing.

I dont think Cuninham isnt "tough" he's just a player that looks better when he has a clear path to the ball with less contact. If there's too many bodies, he doesnt have the strength or power to bust through like a bigger bodied player. I reckon Murph in the last 3-4 years is a good comparison for the type of player he will be.

That's why he's a pure outside player. Murphy was banished from the on ball group for a while until he demonstrated better physicality.

We have good on ball numbers, no need to start throwing blokes in there who have big differences.

Last edited:
Have to disagree with this then, SPS has a real weakness with avoiding contact and making skill errors because of not bodylining the ball as well as losing too many one on ones. Hardly screams midfielder. He did however improve a lot in the last few games, I think Teague is really driving physicality in the group which is a must and that's why he doesn't play him in the center.

Cuningham is an outside player and a run with role could be good. Could maybe play a bit of wing.

I think people forget how strong/tough/skilled SPS is. Not talking fulltime mid, more a HF, mid rotation

I think people forget how strong/tough/skilled SPS is. Not talking fulltime mid, more a HF, mid rotation

Will be interesting to see how Doc/Saad and SPS combine to transition the ball ...SPS has time to develop an A grade game - he has the ability - lots and lots of competition for on-ball spots ...I would rather we stack the midfield with talented mongrels- which is what Teague is going for - watch Walsh/Williams/Martin light it up this year in combination around the ball...

absolutely nailed the trades this year imo.

When I think SPS the first thought that comes to mind is 'dinky kicks'. SPS is more Murphy - without the burst speed Murph used to have. Murph's kicking no longer has the bullet penetration it had in his youth - the awareness is stil there. SPS hs never had a long kick - which distributors need as part of their arsenal and doesn't have above average leg speed.
When I think Cuningham - the first thought that comes to mind - gives him the ball and a meter of space. Cuningham is more an outside Murphy - without the experience.

Dunno Jab. To me Cunners and Murphy are very different. Murphy has a great nose and intelligence for the ball. He's lost his dynamism and any physicality but the one thing he retains is his nose for the footy and his intelligence. Cunners on the other hand, reminds me more of Aaron Hall( from GC and now North). Breathtaking when they actually do something but a complete tease overall. Give them some space and everything going the right way in a play and they are electric....but put them in many unscripted parts of AFL footy and they get lost. I dunno whether it is purely lack of ability to handle mental pressure or many other things combined, but the end result is the same imo....an inability for his teammates and coach to rely on him to perform and help out consistently.

He's 24 Cunners. My hope tank is running on fumes with him. If played, i think he will continue being like Aaron Hall......an unreliable tease. Breathtaking at times, but far too much downside. Hope i'm wrong on this one but the trend is not his friend.

Gonna be hugely interesting how we line up in Rd1, and we'll only get 2 hints at it, with a knockoff game against * and then a praccie against the Saints(?) isn't it.

I noticed late last year that we tried to keep players outside the contest for receives as earlier in the year in seemed all our mids would rush in to compete hard and ‘get the job done’ but we’d get torched when it got to opposition on the outside.

Agree that there is shirking the contest but there’s also stoppage balance to consider.
If it’s someone’s turn to go then they need to go, but why make Cunningham and SPS that guy every time when we have other players to do it better? Then they can do what they do better in finding an option or making space when they get the ball. Or be available to be defensive if it gets to the opposition.

It boggles Le brains

our players have different strengths, we should put them together to balance these strengths as a team not expect every player to be capable of doing everything. this ain’t a video game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back