Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I assumed Weitering, Jones, Marchbank and Kemp will be mentioned in some kind of ‘key/tall defenders’ category, or maybe a ‘KPP/tall’ one that includes TDK, Pitto, Levi, Harry and Charlie, maybe Mitch and Jack.
Seeing Charlie, TDK, Kemp, Marchy, Levi and Gov were/are injured, I'm not sure if there was much to write about for our KPPs over the past week!

I think Fish will be our most dangerous small forward this year
Kicked 0.8 goals per game last season. Bump it up by an extra goal every second game, and he should be kicking 30+ this year.

I think our backline and midfield is quite well structured, with a lot of A-grade talent, and a decent amount of quality depth. However our forward line seems to be a little dysfunctional. We have the talent, but it just hasn't quite clicked all together.

I would love if one of Fish, Durdin, Philp, Honey or Owies had a breakout year, and a JSOS/Gov to bounce back from last season.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, what are the new man on the mark rules mentioned?

Umpire will call "Stand!" when a player is on the mark. From that point on, the player cannot move in any direction (except to jump on the spot) until the player disposes of the ball or the umpire calls play on. No east/west movement to try and cut off the corridor, no moving back and then running at the player taking the kick to throw them off, no swapping with another player.

Get the intent, but its gonna make for some really weird situations where teams just have a player stay 3-4m ahead of the mark to avoid having the umpire call stand, and I can pretty well guarantee they'll call some horrendous 50m penalties early until public pressure forces them to adjust.

Kicked 0.8 goals per game last season. Bump it up by an extra goal every second game, and he should be kicking 30+ this year.

I think our backline and midfield is quite well structured, with a lot of A-grade talent, and a decent amount of quality depth. However our forward line seems to be a little dysfunctional. We have the talent, but it just hasn't quite clicked all together.

I would love if one of Fish, Durdin, Philp, Honey or Owies had a breakout year, and a JSOS/Gov to bounce back from last season.

It's not just the goals Fish kicks, it's what he creates. The likes of Williams, Martin types rotating through there will create even more opportunities for the likes of Fish, Gibbo, Cuners and in time Honey and Durdin

No disrespect to Eddie, but I wouldn't play him

Umpire will call "Stand!" when a player is on the mark. From that point on, the player cannot move in any direction (except to jump on the spot) until the player disposes of the ball or the umpire calls play on. No east/west movement to try and cut off the corridor, no moving back and then running at the player taking the kick to throw them off, no swapping with another player.

Get the intent, but its gonna make for some really weird situations where teams just have a player stay 3-4m ahead of the mark to avoid having the umpire call stand, and I can pretty well guarantee they'll call some horrendous 50m penalties early until public pressure forces them to adjust.
I'd kill for someone to overthrow Gill and to say, "For the first time in more than 10 seasons, we will not be making alterations to the competition rules this season. Further to this, we will not be making alterations for the rules for the next 5 seasons, so that we can evaluate the current rules with a sample size that allows us to see if the current ruleset is working as intended."

Seriously. You'd see fan engagement improve, umpiring improve, play improve, purely off the back of letting teams train in a single ruleset for 5 seasons.

It's not just the goals Fish kicks, it's what he creates. The likes of Williams, Martin types rotating through there will create even more opportunities for the likes of Fish, Gibbo, Cuners and in time Honey and Durdin

No disrespect to Eddie, but I wouldn't play him
I'd like Eddie selected round 1, but for him to be supplanted by someone with superior seconds form.

Let someone beat the door down.

Wondering what happens if the player that infringes, hence needs to stand the mark, yet is unable to do so as he is down injured

Why they amend rules in this way, is a head scratcher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wondering what happens if the player that infringes, hence needs to stand the mark, yet is unable to do so as he is down injured

Why they amend rules in this way, is a head scratcher
would think if the player is down on the ground injured they are treated as effectively 'out of the play' and their standing the mark responsibility is waived

I don't know if Teague's "moves" have really paid off so far. And I think generally we lag behind the comp for developing young players.

Fisher is maybe the best example. I honestly can't say how we could waste his talent Amy better than we have in the past 12 months.

Teague came in, moved the young guys out of the middle, put Kreuzer, Murphy, Ed and Cripps in the guts and had some success doing it.

Great but we now need Ed Kreuzer and Murphy out of there and it's time for him to trust the younger guys like Fisher, Samo, Dow and Cunningham. So far I just haven't seen that from DT.

McGovern probably need to spend time down back or in the 2s to get some form.

Samo to half back hasn't really worked.

Dow and O'Brien have dropped off (ok that's mostly injury). Hard to see how we could have fcked up Kennedy any worse.

We recruit an inside mid in Stocker using a high draft pick then immediately play him on HBF. If you want a HBF recruit a HBF.

A lot of these guys are heading for the scrap heap and I think they have enough talent but have been mismanaged.

Even Walsh got wasted out on the wing most of the season. Cunners needs the ball in his hand stuck up in starvation corner eroded his confidence after playing midfield and doing really well.

I'm not anti Teague but he has to start turning these young guys into A graders.

And doggedly playing Plowman every week no matter how big of a stinker he plays (And voting him up in the B&F) has to stop.
Maybe give up football and go back to badminton?

You might be happier then...

I'd like Eddie selected round 1, but for him to be supplanted by someone with superior seconds form.

Let someone beat the door down.
For mine, Eddie is still currently our most dangerous small forward. Past his prime of course, but would still give opposition coaches a few headaches.

I'd like to see him working alongside our other smalls this year in his swansong.....last year I honestly believe his presence helped develop Gibbo's game in the forward role, and probably even Fish after he came into the side. It'd be great to see him playing some games this year alongside Durdin.

Reckon last year was a good learning experience for Fish, and a full preseason spent working on his forward craft is going to do wonders.

He's a creative player with a natural knack for keeping the ball ahead of him without necessarily taking possession. Can see that working heavily in his favour and landing him a few free kicks in front of goal. His handoff to Harry in the match sim highlights is a good example of what quality small forwards should be looking to do - drawing players to free up an opponent goal-side for the easy give.

Smart player with the right skill set and profile, he'll step up in a big way this year.

And that's coming from someone who was against it initially as I had misgivings about his accuracy on the snap around the body. Proved me wrong (or simply worked hard enough to overcome a previous weakness) in a big way.

Hopefully the umpires will also give the player with the ball less leeway to move off their line. Can't have them getting a 3 or four step advantage over the man on the mark.

This rule is really going to help Saad.

For mine, Eddie is still currently our most dangerous small forward. Past his prime of course, but would still give opposition coaches a few headaches.

I'd like to see him working alongside our other smalls this year in his swansong.....last year I honestly believe his presence helped develop Gibbo's game in the forward role, and probably even Fish after he came into the side. It'd be great to see him playing some games this year alongside Durdin.

I agree. Eddie will still get plenty of attention and will hopefully allow Fisher/Gibbo etc. to play more significant roles.

No one should expect Eddie to be kicked 3 or 4 goals each week. His role will be to take a quality defender out of the play each week. Then when he gets a mismatch we should be exploiting out and hopefully getting a few more goals out of it.

Just watch how much attention oppositions put into Eddie at stoppages in our F50.. he's still dangerous but knows his role in the team at his age.

Play on!

Any reasoning for this or "just coz" as usual? Wondering if they are going to immediately whistle for play on if the player with the ball deviates? Ie. wants to chip kick to the left but decides not to or has a 'natural' arc run up when kicking for goal?

Can absolutely see some howlers coming from this and don't see why it's needed.

The rules committee is essentially RND departments of the AFL. Always coming up with something 'new' and 'improved' things for the sake of it rather than it actually being beneficial to anyone, simply to justify their existence and job. I have never spoken to anyone who agrees the AFL constantly doing this is a good thing. Not once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back