Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Time is up, Jeff. Kids make decisions on the club they support (rather, clubs they choose not to support) off the back of these comments.

“Why would you follow the Hawks, they are relocating to Tasmania?!”

it’s the stench North have had to contend with for decades (and still have to) and we have a President inviting this...

meanwhile we’re continuing to lose grip of the MCG... that’s where the attention of our president should be!!

As the non football person that Jeff is - and it really is laughable listening him to talk about on field matters - for a while I thought he reached an understanding about club unity internally and externally. But clearly he can't stay in that zone and like Eddie is a superseded model. Would be great to get Bunghole into the role.

As the non football person that Jeff is - and it really is laughable listening him to talk about on field matters - for a while I thought he reached an understanding about club unity internally and externally. But clearly he can't stay in that zone and like Eddie is a superseded model. Would be great to get Bunghole into the role.
I would love Bung to come back, but you just feel that if there was any chance of that happening we’d have seen it by now.

I would love Bung to come back, but you just feel that if there was any chance of that happening we’d have seen it by now.
Nothing like an SOS call. Was hoping Richie Vanderburg was the next one but he doesn't seem to want to pop his head up. Dare I say steve quartermain who can't be far off retirement and is well trained. Seems like a pretty major void which just seems strange for us.

Nothing like an SOS call. Was hoping Richie Vanderburg was the next one but he doesn't seem to want to pop his head up. Dare I say steve quartermain who can't be far off retirement and is well trained. Seems like a pretty major void which just seems strange for us.
How much of this is a consequence of the man we’re all discussing is what I wonder.

He’s a very polarizing figure, and that’s bound to play some part in people not wanting to be sized up by him.

How much of this is a consequence of the man we’re all discussing is what I wonder.

He’s a very polarizing figure, and that’s bound to play some part in people not wanting to be sized up by him.

Shame Bracks is a Geelong man - he had no issues sizing him up.

Yeah but the right person can pop Jeff in a pigeon hole respectfully as long as they are on board with the.club direction.

The other thing we need to contemplate is how many have been deemed not suitable by JK - it’s not as though we get to see all applicants for the board or presidency

For a guy that introduced a set time frame, he’s not doing too bad a job of hanging in there. I find it hard to fathom that with 70k plus members and probably as many supporters that amongst that and their networks there isn’t a single person capable of filling his shoes

My comment was very much in jest - but agreed. I’d prefer someone with a commercial/sporting background.
Yep I took it that way didn't take it seriously was just bemoaning the fact there isn't a genuine hawthorn connection with a profile in business that is apparent to step in..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might give the impression to people that 'where's there's smoke, there's fire'

"HAWK FOOTBALL HEAD TIGHTLIPPED AS RELOCATION TALK GAINS MOMENTUM!"
Hawthorn leading the race for Tassie relocation?

Yep I took it that way didn't take it seriously was just bemoaning the fact there isn't a genuine hawthorn connection with a profile in business that is apparent to step in..

It's just bizarre. There has to be dozens, possibly hundreds, of well credentialed Hawthorn people who could put their hand up. I get it is an unpaid position and would be a hell of a commitment - but someone must want it. I think someone with a bold vision could quite easily launch a bid for the presidency with a vote held at this year's AGM.

It's just bizarre. There has to be dozens, possibly hundreds, of well credentialed Hawthorn people who could put their hand up. I get it is an unpaid position and would be a hell of a commitment - but someone must want it. I think someone with a bold vision could quite easily launch a bid for the presidency with a vote held at this year's AGM.

Richard Loveridge another?

Was a Corporate Partner at Herbet Smith Freehills, sits on a few boards and is a current member of the AFL Tribunal...

Was also very close to the club board around the 1996 merger

Letter to President Jeff Kennett

Firstly, thank you for your services to the Hawthorn Football Club.

Secondly, it’s time for your position as President to end.

This must be effective immediately.

You have lost the Hawthorn supporters with your current relocation comments. This is not the first time you have spoken on ‘our behalf’ and misread the room.

You may have personal views and they should be kept for the boardroom. We highly doubt you are speaking on behalf of the board when you make outlandish comments such as relocation. Have you not learnt anything from the merger with Melbourne back in ‘96.

Someone of your experience and responsibility should know the ramifications of your ‘relocation comments’ . Regardless of how they were intended , the damage to our brand is extensive. Let’s think of sponsors, members, prospective members, media, young children, Box Hill Hawks, Dingley development , women’s football.....etc.

Any thought of relocation adversely affects Hawthorn.

Therefore , we plead to you to ‘fall on your sword’ and relinquish the presidency.

Today.

Stay well.

Hawthorn supporters.

Posted this on the Main Board...

3rd for total revenue
3rd for operating profit
4th for total profit
5th for sponsorship
8th for gate reciepts
4th for merchandise
17th for AFL distribution (West Coast is 18th)
2nd for assets (West Coast is 1)
1st for cash at bank (
2nd for member equity (West Coast is 1)

We will do just fine without Tasmania

it’s been no secret that Tasmania have been lobbying for their own team for a long time and that the Hawk sponsorship has been a political hot potato for some time with taxpayers resenting the sponsorship. One would therefore have thought that the club would of been actively planning an exit for some time - some in hindsight would say that during the power years would of been that time - now there is no bargaining power at all and Jeff running his big mouth has not only infuriated members but by the sounds of it annoyed the major sponsor.

I thought that i read somewhere that due to our poor attendances at the MCG that there was a concerted push by the AFL to play more and more games at Marvel and Essendon getting more at the MCG and with the lucrative tassie deal coming to an end, one could suggest that the AFL may use this vulnerable time to twist the screws and get us out.

I’m not sure what the legality of that is but contrary to what some think, I just don’t see us as being as powerful and have the clout that some believe we have and all of this coming together at a time when clubs are vulnerable could see us not relocated to Tassie but to marvel instead
That’s all irrelevant because we are one of only four clubs that didn’t need financial help from the afl during last season. So our crowds at the MCG aren’t the AFL’s business. The only reason you move a team is for financial reasons like south Melbourne did when they were broke. Hawthorn are financially a powerhouse in the AFL so no relocation of any kind even 20 meters down the road is not going to happen.

That’s all irrelevant because we are one of only four clubs that didn’t need financial help from the afl during last season. So our crowds at the MCG aren’t the AFL’s business. The only reason you move a team is for financial reasons like south Melbourne did when they were broke. Hawthorn are financially a powerhouse in the AFL so no relocation of any kind even 20 meters down the road is not going to happen.

Notwithstanding are our MCG crowds even that bad?

We got a poor run in the press for a poor roll up to a 4.40pm Mothers Day game against GWS.

The next 2 MCG home games were played that season drew 33,000 v West Coast (in the wet) and 66,000 v Collingwood

I would and then run screaming from the building suggest that the AFL would believe that the bombers would draw bigger crowds

If what Jeff says ever came true then he wouldn't be president; we would be relegated to playing in the VFL this year along with Kangas and the Crows; Clarkson wouldn't be coach; and pokies venues would be considered a public service for old lonely people.

He talks so much s**t.

I support the motions that have been put on this board that he should resign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back