Scott Morrison - How Long? Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What I mean is that (to my understanding) Eliza Barr did not speak to Morrison - she emailed his office

Emailing his office doesn't necessarily mean it made it to him, hence saying he only became aware of it a few weeks ago is not necessarily a lie

However it does mean (at a minimum) someone in his office deliberately kept it from him - which is a culture of plausible deniability and problematic in its own right

You are very generous.

As it stands right now Morrison does not talk to his staff, does not read the papers, does not engage in any gossip, pretty much does not do anything.

Worst
Government
EVER

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maintaining plausible deniability definitely seems like a deliberate tactic adopted by Coalition politicians in particular in recent years. Abbott, Morrison and Gladys Berejiklian in NSW have all had repeated incidents where they have been able to successfully beg ignorance on matters for which there is little reasonable explanation for them being so uninformed.

I can't really think of any equivalent situations for Labor. The Andrews government and hotel quarantine, maybe - but after watching the inquiry, I'm more inclined to blame bureaucratic mess and undue departmental influence over Ministers for that one.

Maintaining plausible deniability definitely seems like a deliberate tactic adopted by Coalition politicians in particular in recent years. Abbott, Morrison and Gladys Berejiklian in NSW have all had repeated incidents where they have been able to successfully beg ignorance on matters for which there is little reasonable explanation for them being so uninformed.

I can't really think of any equivalent situations for Labor. The Andrews government and hotel quarantine, maybe - but after watching the inquiry, I'm more inclined to blame bureaucratic mess and undue departmental influence over Ministers for that one.
Morrison's denials are becoming less plausible by the day though.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I am sure Dan Andrews made sure they had their story pretty straight in the background - ie. we know nothing.

Morrison is taking it to a new level though. Shutting down debate. Referring questions. Only appears on friendly media. Shuts down press conferences when it gets too hard. Every scandal is dealt with by internal review and the results of said reviews are never released.

This is not democracy.

Navyblues09

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2009
Templestowe
AFL Club
Carlton

So claiming the DPC secretary made all the key decisions and never once passed on crucial information, despite always doing so in the previous 6 years, isn’t using plausible deniability?

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So claiming the DPC secretary made all the key decisions and never once passed on crucial information, despite always doing so in the previous 6 years, isn’t using plausible deniability?
Not really the thread for it, but suffice to say I was satisfied by the inquiry that there was no deliberate attempt to avoid responsibility

I am sympathetic to Andrews, who I think had a tough job made worse by a couple of incompetent ministers in key portfolios and a police force that are a law unto themselves

Navyblues09

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2009
Templestowe
AFL Club
Carlton
Not really the thread for it, but suffice to say I was satisfied by the inquiry that there was no deliberate attempt to avoid responsibility

I am sympathetic to Andrews, who I think had a tough job made worse by a couple of incompetent ministers in key portfolios and a police force that are a law unto themselves

Ok, I thought the inquiry was nothing more than a Government controlled whitewash aimed to pin the blame entirely on one minister. Yet I also find it very hard to believe Eccles made all the decisions himself without consulting Dan, even when Dan and his COS were the only other people in the room.

Then from an emergency management perspective, to believe that there was no documentation or minutes taken of crucial meetings, yeah right!

But yes it’s off topic, we can’t bring up anyone but Scotty in this thread or some people get upset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Navyblues09

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2009
Templestowe
AFL Club
Carlton
This statement alone proves you have no idea what the inquiry found :rolleyes:

Really? What did it find? Without Peta Credlin we never would have found out that it was the DPC that made the calls that Dan had no knowledge of and it never did find out who made the decision to hire security, which a parliamentary enquiry managed to find out months later.

But on the bright side it got the government to implement a foolproof hotel quarantine program that will never leak out into the community again 😉

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

Morrison's concurrent position is that nobody told him, but they should have told him, but nobody is in trouble for not telling him.

Anyone who believes he wasn't told these things needs to have power of attorney taken from them before they send money to a Nigerian Prince.

Either he's being told and pretending he's not. Or he's going for the deliberate ignorance as if that is ok. The latter does seem like his preferred method of operation, having no idea what he's doing.

This is a valid question in regards to Michelia's new mutual obligation announcement...

Can't see any issues arising out of this at all.......

Eu42JvfU4AU3WWb.jpg

inb4 an employer dobs in an employee who then later goes and beats said employers skull in :(

Can't see any issues arising out of this at all.......

View attachment 1063707

inb4 an employer dobs in an employee who then later goes and beats said employers skull in :(

I'm waiting for someone who can't attend a face to face meeting with their job provider which is another part of the mutual obligation they're introducing (or in this case reintroducing), due to not being able to afford the petrol or bus or train fare due to not receiving enough money while being reliant on Jobseeker.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone who believes he wasn't told these things needs to have power of attorney taken from them before they send money to a Nigerian Prince.
As a rule, PMs and Ministers don't intentionally lie to parliament. Not for any moral reason - simply because it's just too easy to get caught and the consequences are too severe.

If Morrison says he only became aware of it a few weeks ago, I'm inclined to believe him. It's just not worth it to lie.

My bigger question is why he has instilled a culture in his office that shields him from this sort of knowledge. And he has - no manager would withhold something this explosive without knowing that Morrison didn't want to hear about it.

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW AFLW
I wonder if Murdoch called for Scotty, Frypan and the LNP to reverse the code because facebook called their bluff and Murdoch knew he would lose more money and reach.
Site traffic dropped to subzero and advertisers were probably heading for the hills funniest thing to happen to rupert

I'm waiting for someone who can't attend a face to face meeting with their job provider which is another part of the mutual obligation they're introducing (or in this case reintroducing), due to not being able to afford the petrol or bus or train fare due to not receiving enough money while being reliant on Jobseeker.
They've never accepted " Lack of money " as an excuse, regardless of the circumstances ( Barring death maybe )

Christopher Buttersnip

Beware of the Drop Bears
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
As a rule, PMs and Ministers don't intentionally lie to parliament. Not for any moral reason - simply because it's just too easy to get caught and the consequences are too severe.

If Morrison says he only became aware of it a few weeks ago, I'm inclined to believe him. It's just not worth it to lie.

My bigger question is why he has instilled a culture in his office that shields him from this sort of knowledge. And he has - no manager would withhold something this explosive without knowing that Morrison didn't want to hear about it.
There was a time when that was true. Parliamentarians had a real fear of misleading, both inside and outside the House. There was an art to crafting replies so plausible deniability could save you. However, in this post truth age where the public seem to not care about that sort of thing it is no longer true.

Christopher Buttersnip

Beware of the Drop Bears
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Status