Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparing Bailey to a guy who also studied engineering and maintained such an elite standard of preparation that he played 100+ consecutive games from his debut while averaging probably top possession numbers for our whole list during that period... is meant to be a compliment, yeh?

Comparing Bailey to a guy who also studied engineering and maintained such an elite standard of preparation that he played 100+ consecutive games from his debut while averaging probably top possession numbers for our whole list during that period... is meant to be a compliment, yeh?

No

At least he's focusing on a real degree.

Imagine doing something as inane as being taught to write?

You can tell that he's not going to grow up to be a goose.

And he's married to a model. Bailey has a lot of catching up to do.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Mate, I've always had a bit more time for you than some other people have and I respect how you've held your own and stuck to your opinions through some flat out disgraceful personal abuse over the years, but on Scott you are just downright wrong. I think you've held onto this conception of him as a player since his junior days, when you regularly claimed we should let Geelong or the Suns have him, and you're maybe too stubborn to clearly confront the evidence of his performance in the AFL that's proved you wrong.
Is this a footy posting forum or are we turning into Highway To Heaven or Days Of Our Lives or some other Soap/Drama??

There was a piece of play yesterday that just sums Bailey up.

Ball was - surprise surprise - coming into our backline at speed.

Bailey was one on one with his man on a half back flank, with a St Kilda player streaming toward him. St Kilda didn't hit the pass to the bloke going forward perfectly, it was high and going to land forward.

Bailey saw this and had to decide.

a) If I stay on my man, the bloke coming forward will get the ball anyway then I'll be drawn to him, he'll go over the top, St Kilda easy entry.

b) I can leave my man and go and impact the ball. It may bounce straight into the St Kilda player's hands and I'll look a goose though.

But he took the risk. Crucial thing is he didn't try and "hero" it, he left his man, got the ball, and killed the situation by creating the contest.

Ball up. No stat recorded. No possesion. Not even a tackle. No Supercoach point recorded.

Young Bailey is doing a degree that involves astrophysics etc but there will never be a computer fast enough, or algorithm detailed enough, or robot engineered suitably, to do the calculations he did and then execute the decision.

You can't teach it.

Some players have it and some don't. Not all AFL players have it in the degree Bailey does, but all the good and great AFL players have it.

Aiden Bonar does not have it.

If you put what Bailey Scott has into Aiden Bonar's body you'd end up with a Carey level player.

Taylor Garner has it in spades, which is why he's still on the list after 45 games in nine years - such is its rarity in the quantity that Taylor has this gift.

I've seen enough at training to know Will Philips has it in spades.

Shaun Atley has the bare minimum of it required to be an AFL player. His other attributes cover this deficiency, but it has cost us games - like against Essendon.

But THIS is Bailey's core skill - pure football ability.

There was a piece of play yesterday that just sums Bailey up.

Ball was - surprise surprise - coming into our backline at speed.

Bailey was one on one with his man on a half back flank, with a St Kilda player streaming toward him. St Kilda didn't hit the pass to the bloke going forward perfectly, it was high and going to land forward.

Bailey saw this and had to decide.

a) If I stay on my man, the bloke coming forward will get the ball anyway then I'll be drawn to him, he'll go over the top, St Kilda easy entry.

b) I can leave my man and go and impact the ball. It may bounce straight into the St Kilda player's hands and I'll look a goose though.

But he took the risk. Crucial thing is he didn't try and "hero" it, he left his man, got the ball, and killed the situation by creating the contest.

Ball up. No stat recorded. No possesion. Not even a tackle. No Supercoach point recorded.

Young Bailey is doing a degree that involves astrophysics etc but there will never be a computer fast enough, or algorithm detailed enough, or robot engineered suitably, to do the calculations he did and then execute the decision.

You can't teach it.

Some players have it and some don't. Not all AFL players have it in the degree Bailey does, but all the good and great AFL players have it.

Aiden Bonar does not have it.

If you put what Bailey Scott has into Aiden Bonar's body you'd end up with a Carey level player.

Taylor Garner has it in spades, which is why he's still on the list after 45 games in nine years - such is its rarity in the quantity that Taylor has this gift.

I've seen enough at training to know Will Philips has it in spades.

Shaun Atley has the bare minimum of it required to be an AFL player. His other attributes cover this deficiency, but it has cost us games - like against Essendon.

But THIS is Bailey's core skill - pure football ability.
Froggy up in the commentary box couldn’t praise Bailey quick enough for leaving his man and effectively applying the defensive press.

Like you said, no stat recorded but this passage of play would be featured in every single AFL coach’s highlight reel come post-game reviews.

Froggy up in the commentary box couldn’t praise Bailey quick enough for leaving his man and effectively applying the defensive press.

Like you said, no stat recorded but this passage of play would be featured in every single AFL coach’s highlight reel come post-game reviews.
Some people might be critical of Frog, but I've long suspected that you won't find too many better footy brains at North and his stint in commentary against the Saints only confirmed that to me. The type that will go on to become a good coach I reckon not only because of that aforementioned footy brain but his out of footy stuff points to him being an empathetic type who forms good relationships with people (who aren't taxi drivers).

Some people might be critical of Frog, but I've long suspected that you won't find too many better footy brains at North and his stint in commentary against the Saints only confirmed that to me. The type that will go on to become a good coach I reckon not only because of that aforementioned footy brain but his out of footy stuff points to him being an empathetic type who forms good relationships with people (who aren't taxi drivers).

Correct on all points.
You don’t play good AFL footy with his body type without having a high footy IQ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent. It happened RIGHT IN FRONT OFME at the ground so I had the perfect view.

He strikes me as a bloke who could end up a better coach than a player. He should pursue that path. Now.

I've been to training twice this pre-season for Friday scratch matches. Especially last week's game I was blown away by the quality of Bailey's football more than just about anybody else out on the park. He was in everything. One passage of play where he took the ball out of the back line with a precision pass down the wing, kept on linking up until he had a shot for goal from 50 that was touched on the line from memory.

To me he clearly stands out as a player with time and poise who makes the right decisions every time. When others are making mistakes he'll be the one cleaning up after them. He has precise foot skills, he can stick tackles, kick goals, take contested marks and clearly possesses close to elite endurance. Above all of this the kid clearly has heart and determination. There's a maturity about him which is very comforting in such a young team. I'm not saying he's going to be Isaac Smith or Nigel Lappin but he's someone I think we can be very confident will be a very good player for us, for many years to come.
I recall Robert Scott as a player and before he came to North, he was seen as a forward pocket/goalsneak at Geelong. But, when he came to North he actually became a great tagger who would often do the job on players like Craig Bradley, Wayne Campbell and Peter Matera. A bit like Brady with Paul Williams. But when I ACTUALLY watched him play at Geelong he was a bit better and had a bit more ticker than you think. If he's a third as good as his old man, he'll be a good pick up.

I recall Robert Scott as a player and before he came to North, he was seen as a forward pocket/goalsneak at Geelong. But, when he came to North he actually became a great tagger who would often do the job on players like Craig Bradley, Wayne Campbell and Peter Matera. A bit like Brady with Paul Williams. But when I ACTUALLY watched him play at Geelong he was a bit better and had a bit more ticker than you think. If he's a third as good as his old man, he'll be a good pick up.
no knock on Robert, who was a stalwart, but Bailey's got more weapons imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back