Review Hawks v Dogs Practice Match, Wednesday 24th Feb 10.30am

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't understand that. his strength seems to be in the contest with Philips, Morrison, Downie and Shiels on the wings...
playing in dual positions is Clarko all over, an was one of our strengths in our 3peat days. Let the kid have a crack now and we develop his ability on the wing as we go. Our midfield is what has been letting us down, lets change it up a bit.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't understand that. his strength seems to be in the contest with Philips, Morrison, Downie and Shiels on the wings...

They are trying to make our midfield more flexible, play multiple roles HFF, wing, half back that type of thing, having 10+ rolling through the guts is the goal

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maginness is ready for the RR position, an could play seniors in that role. Hawks are trying to develop him as a wingman.
The sum of finn’s parts is bigger than his whole right now. Give him time to develop and we will have a very good and versatile player.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I remember when Jordan Lewis really broke into the team and cemented a position - there was an article in the Hun that highlighted that he was the number one player for clearances per minute when playing in the middle.

Over the next few years Clarko played him in various roles and even had him trim down. He became a much more versatile player thanks to all of that.

Last edited:
Strong, strong disagree here. Good to listen to, doesn’t make himself the story, gets the job done. He’s absolutey wasted doing the VFL.
Yep I'm a fan. Nice bloke too.

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The sum of finn’s parts is bigger than his whole right now. Give him time to develop and we will have a very good and versatile player.
Agree, it’s what makes Finn a tantalizing prospect. He’s already got elite endurance and speed, so if he can develop his outside game, could absolutely become a real weapon. Here’s hoping that Finn, Day, and Downie can become the home grown midfield nucleus of our next flag side.

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree, it’s what makes Finn a tantalizing prospect. He’s already got elite endurance and speed, so if he can develop his outside game, could absolutely become a real weapon. Here’s hoping that Finn, Day, and Downie can become the home grown midfield nucleus of our next flag side.
An Worpel in that mix

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
just watched the replay of the Dogs V Hawks game on youtube and made a few notes

good positive plays during game
Breust - 9
Phillips - 9
Downie - 8
Greaves - 7 (1 bad error trying to punch it through)
Lewis - 7 (gives us a good focal point in the forward line)
Hartigan - 7
JOM - 7
Hanrahan - 7
Worpel - 6 (had heaps, too many 5m handballs and scrappy kicks)
Cousins - 6
Moore - 5
Howe - 5 (1 bad error where he was moving in slow motion and got caught)
Day - 5 (slow first half, good second)
Hardwick - 5
Frost - 5
Morrison - 5
Ceglar - 4
TOB - 3
Impey - 2 (a lot of good runs that were not as effective as they should be)
CJ - 2
McEvoy - 2
Brockman - 2 (moves well, but barely in the game)
Kosi - 0 (very little impact)
DGB - 0 (only time he intercepted, there was a free down the ground)

Frost - 5
Morrison - 5
TOB - 3
Impey - 2 (a lot of good runs that were not as effective as they should be)
CJ - 2
Brockman - 2 (moves well, but barely in the game)

Some really harsh grades there for mine. Brockman was directly involved in some scoring linkages, including one that was from a very clever tap he did in the centre square. TOB was absolutely solid up front and kicked 3 goals. Frost and Morrison had really good games and deserved more than a 5. CJ absolutely made some errors and was scrappy at times - but he was also very involved and started some good attacking play from the half back line - I’d have him closer to a 5-6. And Impey a 2 is honestly just taking the piss.

Edit: Please note the above silliness was written by a very tired and caffeine deprived individual.

Last edited:

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Some really harsh grades there for mine. Brockman was directly involved in some scoring linkages, including one that was from a very clever tap he did in the centre square. TOB was absolutely solid up front and kicked 3 goals. Frost and Morrison had really good games and deserved more than a 5. CJ absolutely made some errors and was scrappy at times - but he was also very involved and started some good attacking play from the half back line - I’d have him closer to a 5-6. And Impey a 2 is honestly just taking the piss.

they are not grades, they were the amount of times they did something good on field throughout the game (where they were clean, or beat their opponent or kicked a goal or won it and fed a team mate cleanly, like the title says "good positive plays").

The number of times Downie ran to space and was ignored was immense considering how many times he DID impact play. He could have done so much more. Often a player would look inboard for someone to pass it to, while around his outside, there was Downie on his own streaming forward... Presents well. What a find.

they are not grades, they were the amount of times they did something good on field throughout the game (where they were clean, or beat their opponent or kicked a goal or won it and fed a team mate cleanly, like the title says "good positive plays").

I shouldn't do anything that involves thinking before drinking coffee. My apologies Davo.

A good thing nobody did 11 good things or you would have really broken my brain with my assumed grading.

The number of times Downie ran to space and was ignored was immense considering how many times he DID impact play. He could have done so much more. Often a player would look inboard for someone to pass it to, while around his outside, there was Downie on his own streaming forward... Presents well. What a find.

Imagine him with a few games under his belt and a sense of belonging at this level - very bloody exciting.

Last edited:
Imagine him with a few games under his belt and a sense of belonging at this level - very bloody existing.
I play therefore I am. I like it.

From Sam Mitchell:

Ned Reeves
"The stand-out performer of the game was Ned Reeves. He took four big, strong contested marks and he was the dominant big man on the field. He made his presence felt in the air, but he was also able to lay some strong tackles at ground level which rounded out his game nicely."

Good to see he’s coming along.

Unrewarded running. That’s a big thing towards earning your place.

I’m also going to defend the commentators. I thought it was somewhat refreshing to have some people giving it a go. The woman could have done with a bit of her high end knocked off/warmer eq mix, but they were as accurate and helpful as most of the ‘pros’.

MJA33

All Australian
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From Sam Mitchell:

Ned Reeves
"The stand-out performer of the game was Ned Reeves. He took four big, strong contested marks and he was the dominant big man on the field. He made his presence felt in the air, but he was also able to lay some strong tackles at ground level which rounded out his game nicely."

Good to see he’s coming along.

Exactly what we need developing in the background.
Full season as number 1 ruck for box hill - then another pre season and would be ready to play some games next year.

Back