2021 Training Reports

I don't know why Smith would be played at the wing. I know that players should have a 2nd string to their bow, but he would look much better at the contest and then can rotate out when he needs to.

We do prefer our wingers to be able to win their own ball and impact contests in different ways though tbh none of Ely's skillset really screams out being an ideal option for a wing. I haven't seen him play in more than a year though and he's worked extremely hard on his fitness, which has been openly acknowledged by the coaches, and I'm sure on many other aspects of his game. Happy for him to earn his chance and see how he goes in the role.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We do prefer our wingers to be able to win their own ball and impact contests in different ways though tbh none of Ely's skillset really screams out being an ideal option for a wing. I haven't seen him play in more than a year though and he's worked extremely hard on his fitness, which has been openly acknowledged by the coaches, and I'm sure on many other aspects of his game. Happy for him to earn his chance and see how he goes in the role.
True. There's something about Ely I've always liked in the limited things I've seen so looking forward to seeing more and hopefully he's up to it.

He was a first round pick so obviously the club saw something in him that was worth investing in.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
True. There's something about Ely I've always liked in the limited things I've seen so looking forward to seeing more and hopefully he's up to it.

He was a first round pick so obviously the club saw something in him that was worth investing in.
He was a late first round pick, selected after the then perceived drop off of genuine first round talent.

I believe he’s progressing at about where he should be.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I’m hoping Bailey plays predominantly wing, with Ely potentially playing a relief wing role, while spending the majority of his game time on the ball.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looks like both teams playing strong sides for this trial game
Should be a good hit out and hope no injuries to either side

Suns
1. Hugh Greenwood
3. Jack Bowes
4. Brandon Ellis
5. Jarrod Harbrow
6. Alex Sexton
7. Will Brodie
9. Ben Ainsworth
10. Charlie Ballard
11. Touk Miller
12. Sam Day
13. Jack Lukosius
14. Lachie Weller
15. Noah Anderson
17. Oleg Markov
18. Matthew Rowell
22. Izak Rankine
23. Sean Lemmens
24. David Swallow
26. Sam Flanders
27. Wil Powell
28. Jarrod Witts
29. Chris Burgess
34. Ben King
35. Connor Budarick
44. Darcy Macpherson
46. Caleb Graham

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Love Mitch Robbo. Someone you can guarantee is going to give 110% every week. Might not start in the senior team as others have improved, but he’ll feature in there at some stage for sure.

He will be working his backside off as he knows it’s realistically his last crack at a flag.

Nov 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Suns are tweeting. Nowt from us (shocker).

Absolute garbage from us. Our social media presence is awful. There are no secrets to protect or anything here, it just seems the club doesn't think it's a priority. Get one of the injured players to do it, or a wife/girlfriend, or the media manager even - what's he doing whilst the match is on?

25 man squad being announced for the upcoming practice match against the Suns this Saturday.

Rest of the playing squad will play in a reserves match against the Suns as a curtain raiser as well.

Best 25 for upcoming match against the Suns:

3Joe Daniher
4Callum Ah Chee
6Hugh McCluggage
7Jarrod Berry
8Ely Smith
9Lachie Neale
10Dan Rich
11Linc McCarthy
14Grant Birchall
15Dayne Zorko
16Cam Rayner
17Jarryd Lyons
18Keidean Coleman
21Tom Fullarton
23Charlie Cameron
25Dan McStay
30Eric Hipwood
31Harris Andrews
33Zac Bailey
35Ryan Lester
36Rhys Mathieson
37Brandon Starcevich
40Jack Payne
42James Madden
46Oscar Mcinerney

I like Mathieson as an inclusion and possible top 22. The guy came in all chest out and strutting, and has reset, kept his head down and worked his butt off. Hope he makes regular appearances.

Nooooo.... Mitch.... just noooo. Going to be a hard year for him, making way for the younger players but staying fully invested. Christensen year.

Does anyone really expect updates from a reserves scratch match?

Well the Suns are doing alright in that regard of updating their fanbase on the match so maybe Brisbane could learn a lesson or two about social media engagement with this matter :rolleyes:

Well the Suns are doing alright in that regard of updating their fanbase on the match so maybe Brisbane could learn a lesson or two about social media engagement with this matter :rolleyes:

I fully acknowledge our SM has been deplorable over the past year in general, but given that regular season NEAFL games would barely get a mention in years gone by, people expecting blow by blow accounts of this game feels like manufacturing things to be outraged by.

Back