How much longer will Dustin Martin being Overrated remain an open secret? šŸ¤”

Do you feel Dustin Martin is overrated?

• Yes, Dustin Martin is overrated by Richmond fans.

• Yes, Dustin Martin is overrated by Neutrals.

• Yes, Dustin Martin is overrated by Commentators.

• No, Dustin Martin isn't overrated by anyone.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

A Cut Above

šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ†šŸ† in my lifetime šŸ˜
Aug 27, 2015
šŸ…±ļøšŸ…°ļøšŸ„‡1ļøāƒ£3ļøāƒ£
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ
I was thinking about the way Richmond fans talk up Dusty being the best player in the comp - except its pretty clear he isn't. Sure he had an out-of-the-box year in 2017, but even Adam Cooney, Allen Jackovich & Shane Woewodin have managed that. Take 2017 out of the equation (guessing it was a contract year?) and his resume is pretty thin. Made the AA team a total four times, but two of those (2018 & 2020) were gifted on reputation.

He was little more than an average player in the early stages of his career, taking 6-7 years to reach elite status, whereas a twat like Danger was pretty much a star from the get-go. Tellingly, Dusty's stats are fairly ordinary - he's never averaged 30 touches over a season, and has never kicked more than 40 goals. Despite lacking the tank to play as a pure midfielder and never having the responsibility of being the #1 target inside 50, he seems to get full credit for both?? :confusedv1:

Then there's the predictable "but he's a great finals player!" argument. Yeah, and so was Gary Ayres who the player-of-the-finals award is named after yet nobody talked about Ayresy as the best player in the comp. He was simply an excellent footballer who went to another level in September, but a long way behind others in overall value to the team. You could even say the same about Luke Hodge (no way I'd pick him ahead of Sam Mitchell) but at least Hodgey was a remarkable captain, whereas Dusty's childlike persona would see him struggling to lead an under 9's team.

Sorry Richmond fans, I'm sick of watching Dusty only pull his finger out in finals, then get credit for being the best player in the comp all year round - he isn't.

Those who have played football and understand the game, know how great he is.
This is another Richmond hating mega meltdown, and a little sad to be honest.

Guessing neither of these things pertain to you.

Those who have played football and understand the game, know how great he is.
This is another Richmond hating mega meltdown, and a little sad to be honest.
Why are you so defensive about Dusty unless there's something to hide? :think:

He's an above-average footballer who plays 2-5 really good games a year. Full credit though, for what he's paid his own ROI is phenomonal.

somewhere between fishing GIF by ABC Network

I give this thread 4.8/10, aka 48%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty was overrated until the GF this year. His norm in 2017 was a gift, he did nothing when the Crows were up in the first quarter and a bit. He put the skiies on once Riewoldt got them in the game. 2019 was a joke game, hell DeBoar went to Prestia instead of Dusty. But 2020, he turned game before HT with the fend off goal. Then he nailed that snap right in front of fatprick face who was too scared to ask his coach to play midfield, pretending to do the team thing as he always does.

Cool... great TEAM is Richmond.
We make ordinary footballers like Martin look good.
How do you explain Tambling and Vickery then?

Dusty is one of the worst field kicks I have ever seen in the GOAT conversation, for this reason alone he is no where near the best player in the last 10-15 years, let alone ever IMHO

Last edited:
How do you explain Tambling and Vickery then?

Dusty is one of the worse field kicks I have ever seen in the GOAT conversation, for this reason alone he is no where near the best player in the last 10-15 years, let alone ever IMHO
Lol... just ****ing lol!!

FFS. Tambling and Vickery are long gone and I was taking the piss.
If flogs from other sides donā€™t rate Martin... their problem.
And I was taking the piss out of you taking the piss, no need to get upset about it. "Flogs from other sides" that have an unbiased opinion on him.. You have crayon stuck between your teeth :drunk:

but at least Hodgey was a remarkable captain, whereas Dusty's childlike persona would see him struggling to lead an under 9's team.
Not many clubs are using the ā€œwe only give the captaincy to worn out spudsā€ policy.
How come Mcevoy got it?
Did he have cancer?

Dusty wouldnā€™t get a game at Hawthorn.

Back