Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is the issue with having 20 teams?
The issue is that there is absolutely no reason to delay Tas as the 19th team just because there is no 20th team ready to go. The lack of a 20th team is not relevant to whether or not Tasmania should be granted a place in the AFL.

The issue is that there is absolutely no reason to delay Tas as the 19th team just because there is no 20th team ready to go. The lack of a 20th team is not relevant to whether or not Tasmania should be granted a place in the AFL.
I agree. But that's not the question I was asking. I was asking why Papa G wants 18 teams rather than 20, requiring two clubs to be killed off.

Hey, has anyone considered merging or relocating Vic clubs? I haven't browsed the thread, so I assume I'm the first to suggest it, and I can't foresee how the preceding 70-or-so pages could imform how this couldn't be accomplished without consent of the clubs.

Given that Tassie wants a timeline, but not necessarily immediately, and there's a concern re the odd number of teams.

An idea to head that one off would be grant the licence for say 2027 or thereabouts - that means the timeline is in place.
Plenty can happen in the ensuing years, which could then add or reduce a team.

There is a precedent, Port Adelaide were granted a licence as the 17th team, however at the same time, the Bears/Lions happened, so it ultimately stayed at 16.
I think Port was given a license to enter on the condition that two Vic clubs merged, and that was the reason they didn't join until 97.

At the time the AFL was aggressively trying to reduce the number of Victorian clubs. I don't think the current executive has the same mindset. I've got no doubt they still want less clubs in Victoria, but they won't force anyone out for Tasmania to come in, even though if they don't want an extra team they probably should.

I think Port was given a license to enter on the condition that two Vic clubs merged, and that was the reason they didn't join until 97.

At the time the AFL was aggressively trying to reduce the number of Victorian clubs. I don't think the current executive has the same mindset. I've got no doubt they still want less clubs in Victoria, but they won't force anyone out for Tasmania to come in, even though if they don't want an extra team they probably should.

ah thanks.

I thought they were issued a licence and had to wait, but there was a point where the AFL went you're coming in anyways (probably because they knew the end was nigh for Fitzroy).

Thanks for the correction.

Comparing Sydney to GC is an 'interesting' proposition. Even GC to GWS are completely different animals.

Just on size alone they are different propositions. Firstly & most obviously, you need far more support pro rata in the smaller place.

Anyway, it still gets back to why have the AFL so destructive of football here?

Even as recently as the mid 1990's we had a decent league. Wins over SANFL & WAFL showed that. We had decent numbers being drafted.

What have the AFL gained by killing it off?

I still lived there in the mid 90’s. The standard was pretty impressive considering the size of tassie, it definitely used to punch above its weight.

the AFL have gained money for their Victorian clubs that’s about all that’s been achieved. And that’s probably all they want. For example Claremont most likely will not field a colts side this year. Seriously it’s a youngish area that’s very passionate about footy buts what’s the use when footy gets restructured every second year down there. And no1 can tell me it’s tassies population age. Ffs cricket is going great guns.

Like I said in a previous post the VFL got what they want. The SA/WA sides replaced the WAFL/SANFL. Tassie is being used for money now instead of talent and the northern clubs are their to increase tv revenue. And the competition to the VFL has been squashed. Nothing has really changed from the early eights except the VFL don’t have to allow Melbourne clubs to fall by the weigh side as they’ve sucked enough money out of the other states to guarantee the survival of them clubs.

Perfect outcome for the VFL

Are you keen to have a 19 team comp for the next 30 years? I don't.

You either bring in the Tassie side and another team to make it to 20 or don't bring a team in at all.

Who gives a flying rats toss bag if it’s a 19 team comp ?.

Each team plays each other once, the season is spread over 22 weeks with games Thursday-Monday and players can get a decent rest throughout the season.

Strips out the inequity of “the draw” and removes the last 4 weeks of the season which is a complete and utter waste of time with the ladder already being set.

Season is too bloody long as it is.

Who gives a flying rats toss bag if it’s a 19 team comp ?.

Each team plays each other once, the season is spread over 22 weeks with games Thursday-Monday and players can get a decent rest throughout the season.

Strips out the inequity of “the draw” and removes the last 4 weeks of the season which is a complete and utter waste of time with the ladder already being set.

Season is too bloody long as it is.
Your telling me the season is too long as it is? It's only 22 games per team. Not to mention 4 weeks of finals. And half the year is the off season

Your telling me the season is too long as it is? It's only 22 games per team. Not to mention 4 weeks of finals. And half the year is the off season

Yes indeed.

Ditch the last 4 rounds and make it a 19 round season where everyone plays each once and once only over the same period of time.

Players might need to take a paycut but it should also extend their careers a little.

Yes indeed.

Ditch the last 4 rounds and make it a 19 round season where everyone plays each once and once only over the same period of time.

Players might need to take a paycut but it should also extend their careers a little.
Nah stuff that. I want AFL to be like the NRL. A 26 round season. All AFL teams play 24 games in the regular season.

I still lived there in the mid 90’s. The standard was pretty impressive considering the size of tassie, it definitely used to punch above its weight.

the AFL have gained money for their Victorian clubs that’s about all that’s been achieved. And that’s probably all they want. For example Claremont most likely will not field a colts side this year. Seriously it’s a youngish area that’s very passionate about footy buts what’s the use when footy gets restructured every second year down there. And no1 can tell me it’s tassies population age. Ffs cricket is going great guns.

Like I said in a previous post the VFL got what they want. The SA/WA sides replaced the WAFL/SANFL. Tassie is being used for money now instead of talent and the northern clubs are their to increase tv revenue. And the competition to the VFL has been squashed. Nothing has really changed from the early eights except the VFL don’t have to allow Melbourne clubs to fall by the weigh side as they’ve sucked enough money out of the other states to guarantee the survival of them clubs.

Perfect outcome for the VFL

It may be perfect in the short to medium term.

As said, draining Tas footy for a few sheqels now will see the slow loss of many of the 90k they say are AFL members.

Also as said, its so much easier & cheaper to keep what you've got, than to try to rebuild it once its gone.

Their was/is no value to our game in destroying football in Tasmania.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm keen for that. If it strengthens grass roots footy in ACT I'm for it. Manuka needs to be upgraded. Bring that up to 20-25,000 seats
It will be a while if at all before that happens. Sports facilities are not top of the list at the the moment for government at all levels to do,

It will be a while if at all before that happens. Sports facilities are not top of the list at the the moment for government at all levels to do,
Come on its the Australian Goverment!

Surely if Canberra gets an AFL team, they can spare a Dollar or 2 to upgrade the Facilities?

I mean when Steve Bracks was the Premier, he gave the green light to upgrade a lot of stuff for the Geelong Cats. Bracks is a cats fan obviously.

Tasmania is falling behind the main land more and more every year, over 50 years they will definitely need lots of AFL assistance to keep up with the mainland clubs

Lets at least get a club here before you prophesise its poor state of existence in 50 years time.

While your at it, any idea of the Tattslotto numbers next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back