Perkins
Cox
Jones
Eyre
Hird
Johnson
McBride
all breakout too and #17...
Caldwell is a good thought. He looked decent in the intra-club.

I'd like to see the re-emergence of Zachy Merrett too, and Langers might go to another level again. Although I'm not sure either of those count as 'break out' since they're both basically mid-career now.

Geepers, I’ve read the OP and said ‘yep, that’s the three I want to see, then read every post after going... yeah, didn’t think about that guy.... yeah, want to see them... oh wait, that’s another one to watch.

Should be fun year - surely a couple of these guys will go to that ‘Ridley level’ in the next couple of years.

For me I’ve settled on Ham (re-watched the Collingwood game, he was really good), Bryan (probably less of a true breakout in the AFL, more exciting the hell out of me in VFL) and the born-again-Hooker (set for 42 goals as a swing man).

Last edited:

Langford. Kneel before ZodTm...I think we’ll see a bit of a return to an inside role, but there will also be time on the wing and in the forward line. Flexibility won’t hurt his game.
Nick Bryan. He has been doing really well at training by all reports, and I know the raps on this guy were pretty glowing coming into 2020, with his agility and ground ball game particular standouts. Yes, he’ll probably need another 12-18 months to be proper ready, but I reckon he might get a few games this year if Stewart or Wright are out of action or form. Can play back or forward, but obviously ruck is his main gig, so if he does come in we’ll be running with the 2 rucks - unless (Odin forbid) Draper is injured, in which case I think he is closer to Phillips to be Next in line to than might be generally reckoned.
Sam Draper. What was it last year, 9 or 10 games? That wasn’t a break-out year... this will be a breakout year (Though I thought he did great). I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play some time in the forward line at times; I don’t think he has the craft necessarily, but I do think he has the talent (and cahones).

Not sure Nick Hind is eligible, but I reckon that he’ll have a pretty good year too - can defend, as well as run, and his disposal has improved a lot from what I’ve seen from Essendon VFL days

Langford. Kneel before ZodTm...I think we’ll see a bit of a return to an inside role, but there will also be time on the wing and in the forward line. Flexibility won’t hurt his game.
Nick Bryan. He has been doing really well at training by all reports, and I know the raps on this guy were pretty glowing coming into 2020, with his agility and ground ball game particular standouts. Yes, he’ll probably need another 12-18 months to be proper ready, but I reckon he might get a few games this year if Stewart or Wright are out of action or form. Can play back or forward, but obviously ruck is his main gig, so if he does come in we’ll be running with the 2 rucks - unless (Odin forbid) Draper is injured, in which case I think he is closer to Phillips to be Next in line to than might be generally reckoned.
Sam Draper. What was it last year, 9 or 10 games? That wasn’t a break-out year... this will be a breakout year (Though I thought he did great). I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play some time in the forward line at times; I don’t think he has the craft necessarily, but I do think he has the talent (and cahones).

Not sure Nick Hind is eligible, but I reckon that he’ll have a pretty good year too - can defend, as well as run, and his disposal has improved a lot from what I’ve seen from Essendon VFL days
Was about to write that the thread needs more Nick Hind. Breakout year really was last year but that was as a forward. He'll have a similarly strong year as a running defender I think; he has a solid couple of intercepting defenders in Francis and Ridley who can release him.

Agree that Langford looks like he has another level. I'd really like to see him attracting players and creating an imbalance of numbers, standing in tackles, finding options. If he goes to that level and we still land Josh Dunkley, that will be super exciting. Then add the natural development of my third choice;

Jye Caldwell will flourish, not just this year but next as well. Who knows what his ceiling is; awareness on-ball in training video looked so special.

Also have high hopes for Parish this year, but he needs more opportunities in the middle.

Was about to write that the thread needs more Nick Hind. Breakout year really was last year but that was as a forward. He'll have a similarly strong year as a running defender I think; he has a solid couple of intercepting defenders in Francis and Ridley who can release him.

Agree that Langford looks like he has another level. I'd really like to see him attracting players and creating an imbalance of numbers, standing in tackles, finding options. If he goes to that level and we still land Josh Dunkley, that will be super exciting. Then add the natural development of my third choice;

Jye Caldwell will flourish, not just this year but next as well. Who knows what his ceiling is; awareness on-ball in training video looked so special.

Also have high hopes for Parish this year, but he needs more opportunities in the middle.

I notice Dunkley had a quarter in the middle then was quiet camped fwd again yesterday - and that wasnt even their first choice mid line up. Bodes well if bevo keeps that up

I like to think GWS' playing hard ball to keep him was because they knew he was something special, not just them being campaigners

I notice Dunkley had a quarter in the middle then was quiet camped fwd again yesterday - and that wasnt even their first choice mid line up. Bodes well if bevo keeps that up

Could be time to move him out of my SC team. I had hoped the Dogs would play him plenty in the middle to try and retain his services. Early signs aren't exactly promising.

Draper, McGrath and Hind.

McGrath ready to really take the next step towards becoming elite and Draper to establish himself as very capable with more match time and given he is only having proper crack now after his ACL. Hind isn't going to be All Aust but will have tons of opportunity to shine coming off half back with his speed, more open midfields with the stuck in the mud rule and will look even quicker with no Saad and McKenna and given other plodders in our defence.

Hoping for Cox to emerge as the best of the kids although structurally Reid is probably the one we really want to see establish himself to give us that future key defender.

The least likely to break out is Cutler.

Cripps - Will break out of Carlton once he realises they're still shithouse and joins West Coast because he's deathly allergic to purple.

Franklin - Will break out of his own car once it collects nine parked vehicles because he has a "seizure" and loses control. Bystanders amused as he attempts to teach emergency services how to dougie.

Daniher - Will break out of Brisbane for 'lifestyle reasons' when he realises that hipster flogs who brag about craft beer breweries still get told to get off the ******* fence by Chris Fagan, instead of 'that's just Joe being Joe'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper - I think he's going to change the game
McGrath - has he already broken out? Maybe, but he has the world at his feet and will go to another level this year.
Francis - anyone who has seen this guy play in the VFL knows he has too much ability for what he's produced at AFL level. I think he will not only cement himself as a best 22 player this year but J think he'll prove himself to be integral.

Honestly keen to see more of Draper and Riddler. Thought they were amazing last year in a year with so few positives. I really see them as the future of the club.

I don't think our list profile contains any breakout prospects, in the form of previously untried rookies who have seasons playing legitimate gun footy.

It's always tough with first year players and the 2020 recruits, as exciting as they all look, are starting from a long way back. I'd be surprised if any of them played enough games to be candidates. 11 to 15 games looks the most realistic range.

Jones is still raw and, if he is going to break out, has the added degree of difficulty of being required to hold down a key forward post. I'd be surprised is he can play week in week out. Feels 12 months early from him.

Caldwell would be the closest but I don't think he'll get the minutes yet.

In my view our breakout candidates are a group of 5th to 7th year players who are yet to really assert themselves as clearly best 22 / established quality AFL players. It's out of Wright, Laverde, Francis, Redman and Draper. I'm also including Stewart because of the way his career was stalled by injury.

Langford is there though I'd like to see a consolidation after the false dawn of 2018.

I think Draper, Stewart (in defence) and Redman will not only establish themselves as quality AFL players but that they will be talked about as AA squad level players (i.e. at least good enough to be in the discussion for the squad, whether it eventuates I don't really care because AA is hard to take seriously given the selectors and selection becomes a bit arbitrary anyway).

I have high hopes for Wright who I also think will hold down a key forward post and get something close to fulfilling his potential. I'm not as confident about him as the other 3 this year because it's likely to be tough playing forward in a year in which it is unlikely he will be able to reap the rewards of being the main man in a highly functioning system.

Francis is much more likely to "break out" with Stewart taking the big guys than Laverde who I don't have any real hope for playing in defence.

Last edited:
3) Francis - time to really step up.

2) Langford - the signs have been there, but if he can take another step, he'll be nearly elite.

1) The one who needs to & can hopefully go up another level is McGrath. He has been pretty good since game 1, and has shown some signs that he can control a game...I'd love to see it.

Interview Dunks gave a few days ago again confirmed his situation; he's playing where they ask him, not where he wants to. Then watch WB demand an unreasonable return because he's a dual position player.

Hind- more of a McKenna replacement but still, Adam who?

Caldwell - Tough kid but seems to ooze class.

Draper- He has been good so far but this year I think he will solidify himself as one of the comps best ruckmen.

Most Improved - Shiel. I think he will really raise his game and disposal efficiency this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back