Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Again you’re only interested in a trade that 100% favours Essendon by making it a future first. The value is in this years draft especially if we are trying flip it for a best 22 key back.

Yes, if I was Essendon I'd be interested in the scenario that best benefits Essendon. It doesn't 100% favour anything because most clubs would expect EFC to tread water in 2022 from wherever they finish in 2021.

That would leave the Dogs with their 2021 and 2022 Firsts, in a side you'd expect to play finals in both seasons, plus a 2022 first tied to Essendon that is likely to be a pick inside the 4 - 8 region.

That's a lot of currency at your disposal, and (fortunately) list managers seem much more forward thinking than supporters. A win-win trade is possible.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes, if I was Essendon I'd be interested in the scenario that best benefits Essendon. It doesn't 100% favour anything because most clubs would expect EFC to tread water in 2022 from wherever they finish in 2021.

That would leave the Dogs with their 2021 and 2022 Firsts, in a side you'd expect to play finals in both seasons, plus a 2022 first tied to Essendon that is likely to be a pick inside the 4 - 8 region.

That's a lot of currency at your disposal, and (fortunately) list managers seem much more forward thinking than supporters. A win-win trade is possible.
You weren’t willing to trade your future first last year when it didn’t suit Essendon. Surprise all of a sudden you’re up for it this year because again it 100% suits Essendon. I’ll take the known quantity of where you finish this year over a speculative future pick.
As I said if you get a Merrett compo pick on top of a likely high first rounder and still refuse to use either of them and are only willing to part with a future first I hope it gets shut down early and we can all move on.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As a pure inside mid, I'd say Dunkley is our best. He's better than Libba and probably not as good as Macrae overall as a player. Macrae has him covered on the outside though.
About the only thing he is better than Liberatore at would be that he can run faster. In all aspects of midfield play, Liberatore is better. Liberatore uses the ball better, is better by hand and sets up more team mates than Dunkley , his vision is better, he is a better decision maker and a better tackler.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You weren’t willing to trade your future first last year when it didn’t suit Essendon. Surprise all of a sudden you’re up for it this year because again it 100% suits Essendon

I don't think you understand quite how these things work. You also seem to be upset from a trade period that happened months ago.

We're talking about a player who'd have to have asked for a trade in two consecutive off-seasons. If Dunkley really did come out and ask for a trade, I'd say this time around it'll get done.

List managers are pretty pragmatic when they need to be, a future first for a player who wants out 2 years running because they're played out of position, for a team that's pretty much a lock to miss finals, is good business.

But of course, your outlook is that the Bulldogs must win, and that win means it must be a 2021 first, instead of both clubs winning.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think you understand quite how these things work. You also seem to be upset from a trade period that happened months ago.

We're talking about a player who'd have to have asked for a trade in two consecutive off-seasons. If Dunkley really did come out and ask for a trade, I'd say this time around it'll get done.

List managers are pretty pragmatic when they need to be, a future first for a player who wants out 2 years running because they're played out of position, for a team that's pretty much a lock to miss finals, is good business.

But of course, your outlook is that the Bulldogs must win, and that win means it must be a 2021 first, instead of both clubs winning.

why are you assuming that Dunkley will be played out of position again? Not a fan of Stef mArtin?

You’re also assuming a trade will get done a “second time around”. Please let us know what you’ve based this assumption on. Has it happened before? Or is it what the rest of this thread is based on - “a gut feeling”?

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Ha I’m not upset I wanted to trade him last year.
He’s contracted. I didn’t see Power being pragmatic last year. Why should both clubs “win” out of it?
I’ve already said if he asks again it will likely get done. But if you accept he’s worth a first round in 2022 at a similar pick as your 2021 and you have 2 x 2021 picks it’s more than fair for us to ask for one of those instead of taking the risk on where you might finish in 2022.

You weren’t willing to trade your future first last year when it didn’t suit Essendon. Surprise all of a sudden you’re up for it this year because again it 100% suits Essendon. I’ll take the known quantity of where you finish this year over a speculative future pick.
As I said if you get a Merrett compo pick on top of a likely high first rounder and still refuse to use either of them and are only willing to part with a future first I hope it gets shut down early and we can all move on.
And you were happy to trade for a future first last year. Surprise all of a sudden you don't want a future because it again 100% suits the Bulldogs.

Both supporters want what's best for their club, amazing.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And you were happy to trade for a future first last year. Surprise all of a sudden you don't want a future because it again 100% suits the Bulldogs.

Both supporters want what's best for their club, amazing.
Because a first last year would have been used up by a JUH bid. It was worthless. Last year and this year are completely different from the Dogs point of view. Our situation in 2020 was unique making a deal with 2020 firsts virtually impossible. It’s not that difficult to work out.

Because a first last year would have been used up by a JUH bid. It was worthless. Last year and this year are completely different from the Dogs point of view. Our situation in 2020 was unique making a deal with 2020 firsts virtually impossible. It’s not that difficult to work out.
No-one said it was difficult to work out. Or that circumstance hadn't changed for the Dogs.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I’ll reply with a typical Essendon response - “you could have still used that first on another mature player”.

You know because it’s so easy to pull players out of clubs.
Enjoy :)

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
why are you assuming that Dunkley will be played out of position again? Not a fan of Stef mArtin?

This entire thread is a hypothetical. If he's asking for a trade, it's because he's not being played on-ball.

You’re also assuming a trade will get done a “second time around”. Please let us know what you’ve based this assumption on. Has it happened before? Or is it what the rest of this thread is based on - “a gut feeling”?

How many times has a player asked for a trade in two consecutive seasons and not had it get done?

Why should both clubs “win” out of it?

Why shouldn't they?

If Dunkley is asking for a trade, do you think it's because he's being played in his preferred (and imo best) position? If he's not, then why can't it be win-win for the Dogs to trade out a player they don't need to facilitate a trade for a player they do?

This is such a nonsensical argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This entire thread is a hypothetical. If he's asking for a trade, it's because he's not being played on-ball.

How many times has a player asked for a trade in two consecutive seasons and not had it get done?

Why shouldn't they?

If Dunkley is asking for a trade, do you think it's because he's being played in his preferred (and imo best) position? If he's not, then why can't it be win-win for the Dogs to trade out a player they don't need to facilitate a trade for a player they do?

He’s contracted ffs why is it nonsensical to do a trade that favours the club that has the contracted player. You’ve said yourself your happy to offer a 2022 first at the likely same expected value as your 21. There’s obviously some reason why you’re so keen to make it a 2022 and not one of the hypothetical 2021 picks. I wild stab in the dark but I’m guessing that this years draft is predicted to be much better than 2022 completely favouring Essendon in the trade.
For us to facilitate a trade for a best 22 key defender a selling club is much more likely to listen to an offer with the known 2021 pick than a speculative Essendon 2022. If we can find a club happy to do it then happy days.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Problem is Essendon have no leverage. Dunkley is contracted, and he's not childish enough to refuse to play for us in 2022 if not traded this year, so we have no incentive to take less than what we want.

I don't think the asking price will be anywhere near what we asked for last trade period, but I also think there's about 0% chance we trade him for anything that ends up favourable for Essendon. We've seen Dodoro cave before (Shiel) and it will happen again if it gets late in the trade period and we still haven't budged. Last year, we weren't moving on the absurd, unrealistic asking price because we'd been caught by surprise and had zero motivation to let him go. This time, we have the time to prepare so the asking price should be more reasonable, while there still not being a reason to deviate significantly.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Problem is Essendon have no leverage. Dunkley is contracted, and he's not childish enough to refuse to play for us in 2022 if not traded this year, so we have no incentive to take less than what we want.

I don't think the asking price will be anywhere near what we asked for last trade period, but I also think there's about 0% chance we trade him for anything that ends up favourable for Essendon. We've seen Dodoro cave before (Shiel) and it will happen again if it gets late in the trade period and we still haven't budged. Last year, we weren't moving on the absurd, unrealistic asking price because we'd been caught by surprise and had zero motivation to let him go. This time, we have the time to prepare so the asking price should be more reasonable, while there still not being a reason to deviate significantly.
That’s the thing Sam power is no push over he will set a price and he will stick with it

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s contracted ffs why is it nonsensical to do a trade that favours the club that has the contracted player. You’ve said yourself your happy to offer a 2022 first at the likely same expected value as your 21. There’s obviously some reason why you’re so keen to make it a 2022 and not one of the hypothetical 2021 picks. I wild stab in the dark but I’m guessing that this years draft is predicted to be much better than 2022 completely favouring Essendon in the trade.

Fantasia was just traded under contract for a second, Wright for a fourth, Treloar for peanuts. Happens all the time when players want out and they're surplus to needs.

No idea about the 2022 draft crop, but 2021 has midfielders which EFC need, and the Bulldogs don't. 2022 also has a few F&S players for Essendon so it makes sense to trade that selection.

Again. This is nonsensical.

IF Dunkley is asking for a trade, do you think it'll be because he's playing at an AA level as an onballer like he did at the end of 2019? Or because he's being played out of position, like he was in 2020? It would also be the second year in a row he's asked for a trade.

All this wank about "oh Sam Power will make Dodoro CAVE" is just clickbait stupidity, if you want to go down that path, don't bother replying.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fantasia was just traded under contract for a second, Wright for a fourth, Treloar for peanuts. Happens all the time when players want out and they're surplus to needs.

No idea about the 2022 draft crop, but 2021 has midfielders which EFC need, and the Bulldogs don't. 2022 also has a few F&S players for Essendon so it makes sense to trade that selection.

Again. This is nonsensical.

IF Dunkley is asking for a trade, do you think it'll be because he's playing at an AA level as an onballer like he did at the end of 2019? Or because he's being played out of position, like he was in 2020? It would also be the second year in a row he's asked for a trade.

All this wank about "oh Sam Power will make Dodoro CAVE" is just clickbait stupidity, if you want to go down that path, don't bother replying.
This is just bizarre. No one has gone there and if anything you seem to be suggesting Dodo will make Power cave and walk like Fantasia, Wright and Treloar (who was pushed). You’re all over the place.
The last thing the Bulldogs need is to draft a key defender from the 2022 draft who might be ready come 2025.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
This is just bizarre. No one has gone there and if anything you seem to be suggesting Dodo will make Power cave and walk like Fantasia, Wright and Treloar (who was pushed). You’re all over the place.
The last thing the Bulldogs need is to draft a key defender from the 2022 draft who might be ready come 2025.
Any key defender’s in this year’s draft we placed a bid on Cody Brand but Essendon matched it. So it go’s to show that the club are looking for one

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
This is just bizarre. No one has gone there

Oh really?

We've seen Dodoro cave before (Shiel) and it will happen again

Or draft a midfielder in 2021.

So again, this entire discussion is coming down to you deciding that it MUST be a 2021 First, because that would be less good for Essendon, so therefore it's a win for the Bulldogs to get that, instead of a 2022 selection. Even though a win-win trade could be facilitated very easily.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oh really?

So again, this entire discussion is coming down to you deciding that it MUST be a 2021 First, because that would be less good for Essendon, so therefore it's a win for the Bulldogs to get that, instead of a 2022 selection. Even though a win-win trade could be facilitated very easily.
Not sure why you tagged my comment two seperate times, but sure.

How is it a win for the Dogs to trade a contracted Dunkley for a speculative pick, when we could just demand a 2021 1st? When you trade a quality player to a club, it's always a risk accepting a future pick from them because it's a reasonable assumption that the club will improve as a result. So if you finished, for example, 4th last and had Pick 4 + Pick 5 (Merrett), we could either demand Pick 5, or accept a future 1st which could even end up in the teens (particularly if any free agents add picks to the order). How are we winning by taking the latter option, when holding Dunkley is a choice we could be making?

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Oh really?

What if Sam power doesn’t want a 2022 first round selection but instead wants this year’s first

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Why shouldn't they?

How many times has a player asked for a trade two seasons in a row? I legit can’t think of any, can you? Only one I can think of is Daniher but he was a free agent.

So I’ll ask again, how are you basing this assumption?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back