Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What an odd comment.
I find it weird that the Hawks continue to hire Clarko. What haven't they learned the last few years from playing under him? They should be able to win flags all on their own now.

Every team has a ruck coach. We need one too. We chose Kreuz. If he's not up to it, he won't last long.
I reckon an outside voice/idea is better than an internal one, like clarko who never played for Hawthorn (thanks for the excellent example).

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Turnovers that lead to goals are worse than ones that don't. As a defender he has to play the percentages better or give it to someone who can.

He's a good player, but when he goes for the tough kick and botches it, the whole group drops their heads and opposition gets a run on. He's a co-captain, so needs to be a shining example.
He was missing easy kicks. Led to two or three goals for where I was sitting.

Decision making has been suspect this preseason. Hopefully it's just getting back into the swing of it.

Cunners’ cleanness stood out ... good to see him get into the centre square for the last two mins .. immediate impact. If the team knows what’s good for them, they’ll play through Cunners at every opportunity.

Said it earlier - we can’t have so many players with poor disposal on the midfield line at the same time .. a couple on Fish, Martin, Cunners, Williams, Gibbons need to be there every time .. possibly add Williamson but he and SPS are the only two who I trust kicking it out of defence. Need to stop playing through Doc and use Willo instead.

Need to be much smarter the way we play. No point handballing to Ed if it’s to deliver inside 50, for instance - his strengths lie elsewhere.

We also need to handball to the advantage of a running player, something I feel we’ve been poor at for years - we’re only going to partially exploit Saad’s speed if he keeps getting it at a standing start (Dow’s HB to set up Saad was v good).
100% this. So many times we've had a run on and a player running through at pace, only for the player with the ball to handball it at an awkward angle for the receiver, forcing them to reach and fumble, or stop and wait for the ball.
It's like a lot of our players handball to where the player IS, not where they're going. I like our players that put the ball where they WANT the receiver to be, making them work to get there.
Make a player work hard to get the ball in a position where they can hopefully do something relatively easy with it, not give them an easy pass where they then have to work hard to just dispose of it regardless of where it goes.

Cunners’ cleanness stood out ... good to see him get into the centre square for the last two mins .. immediate impact. If the team knows what’s good for them, they’ll play through Cunners at every opportunity.

Said it earlier - we can’t have so many players with poor disposal on the midfield line at the same time .. a couple on Fish, Martin, Cunners, Williams, Gibbons need to be there every time .. possibly add Williamson but he and SPS are the only two who I trust kicking it out of defence. Need to stop playing through Doc and use Willo instead.

Need to be much smarter the way we play. No point handballing to Ed if it’s to deliver inside 50, for instance - his strengths lie elsewhere.
I do cringe when Ed is the one delivering into the f50 and FMD it is a hell of a lot

100% this. So many times we've had a run on and a player running through at pace, only for the player with the ball to handball it at an awkward angle for the receiver, forcing them to reach and fumble, or stop and wait for the ball.
It's like a lot of our players handball to where the player IS, not where they're going. I like our players that put the ball where they WANT the receiver to be, making them work to get there.
Make a player work hard to get the ball in a position where they can hopefully do something relatively easy with it, not give them an easy pass where they then have to work hard to just dispose of it regardless of where it goes.
yet this is under 12s stuff!

I wouldnt get sucked in to the type of NBA all star game format that these pre season games ultimately turn out to be. I think we will see it all weekend across all the games.
no callum chambers was the difference tonight.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet again ... we will need to play there because ... fixture. So somebody needs to come up with a gameplan.

Not sure you understand what I’m trying to say.Of course we play there but Saints are close to unbeatable there cause it suits their game style,run and gun.

We on the other hand play better at the G.It’s not as slippery for a start and you can be confident under foot.

And of course the coaches need to sharpen us up after tonight.Our kicking efficiently needs to improve for a start but it is only March.I personally thought it was a good effort considering.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon an outside voice/idea is better than an internal one, like clarko who never played for Hawthorn (thanks for the excellent example).

You hire the best available person for the job, REGARDLESS of where they've come from.
The club obviously thinks that's Kreuz at this point in time. I'm in no position to argue with that.

It's like any business hiring. There are pros and cons for promoting internally and the same for brining in fresh eyes, ears and ideas.
For all we know, Kreuz has those fresh ideas, but was under the previous ruck coach and couldn't implement them. He had a mini audition last year in the hub with the staff cutbacks and obviously showed enough to stay on in that role.

music to my (admittedly too much hair sprouting inappropriately from) ears..........

Don’t fortunately have the inside fluff but the outside rims of the PortMelbourne’s are sprouting out as bad, spotted one in the mirror flapping around due too the bathroom exhaust fan....
Tweezers are in high use, who would’ve thought...

Had a look at the stats and can’t believe both teams had 76 turnovers
Each .... ours always seem to result
In goals!

thought we were smacked around the footy all night and the defence over committed too much. Doc was poor.

In saying that we scored 99 points without a key forward and Fisher looks insane.

Like Fish

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think both defences tonight were horrible and our lack of two way runners from midfield as well as defensive structure along half back allowed them to enter into 50 very easily and pile on the goals. We had no key forwards all game pretty much and relied on two players who aren’t even on our list to be our tall timber. Clearance work needs to improve because we got battered around the stoppages but I thought any type of link up play and flow we can play with was nullified completely by them in the first half.

In saying that, I don’t think we played terribly and it would be too silly to heavily criticise without seeing what is dished up within the first month of the season. Positives were Williams is the player we’ve needed for a while, Fisher was ridiculously good and it might be his break out season, Dow was solid and showed a nice base to build off, Saad will be a weapon I think after a block of games, Jones was great when Weiters went down and JSOS showed what we missed from him second half of last season.

This team can go places if coached well and if they want it enough. Also, I had the biggest smile tonight after not being able to be at the footy for a year. I hope all of you felt the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back