Review Dees v the Purple Haze: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

My brothers - greetings. Welcome to another year where we will sweat blood and more. I am with you. My first membership dates back to 1983 and I have renewed this year.

After the match, please share your thoughts, be they fiery or otherwise. Go dees.

Good: NOTHING, glad I didn’t waste another year of membership $ on this pathetic club
Bad: our forward line
Fugly: James Jordon, another failed messiah

just getting in early before anyone else

Good
Back at the G
A win
May
Lever
TMac
Jordon

Bad
Alex Pearce injury, not what you want to see
Hunt

Ugly
Set shot kicking

Good: May, Lever, Tomlinson, TMac, 4 pts

Kozz makes me smile. Spargo was good. Sparrow Jordan Rivers did some okay things.

Ugly: hideous game of football all round. Our forward 50 delivery is a clown show

Lever and May the only two to really play well and still got over the line, in the end this is the exact game we lose in 2017 and 2020 to miss finals. Good to see them mix it up in the middle, made for a bit of interest.

Anyone notice Trac clearing up the cups from the floor after the team song. Don’t know why but makes me think more that he is a quality human.
Yeah but he missed a set shot after the siren so does he really have the desire to win?

Reckon I would’ve enjoyed that win more in 2015/16, but we’re too far along to look that unconvincing, I’m really hoping it was more of a rusty start than a showing of what’s more to come.

Quick points:
- Lever and May, absolutely brilliant.
- Kossie was fantastic, influenced the play whenever he got near it.
- Jackson took some great grabs, pity aboit the kicking though.

All in all, can’t complain about a win, but we didn’t look like a side that will play finals.

On a side note, crowd of 21k was bloody disappointing, if you were a dees supporter in Melbourne and had nothing else on today and didn’t go, piss poor effort to be honest.

Ah well, onwards and upwards.

edit: harsh on crowd with covid etc, was just hoping for closer to 30-35k, hopefully people will come back as the season goes on.

Last edited:
Good - just being back at the footy and first win I've been to since the Hawthorn semi.

Bad - our forward entries. We weren't bombing just completely missing targets.

Ugly - covid rules why the * do you need to sign into the bar. I'm already in zone 4 ffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A win is a win, but certainly not a convincing one. If Freo had Walters i reckon we'd be on the losing side. Midfield was very disappointing, same a last year it seems, Gawn dominates the hitouts but we lose the clearances, i really don't understand how that keeps happening.

Saints next week is a god damn mountain to climb, not even considering the fact its the Spud Frawley game

Good:
Lever & May absolute rocks in defense
TMac moving well, clunking a few marks

Bad:
Set shot misses
Beaten in clearances despite having most of our first choice midfield & inexperienced opposing ruckman
Bad errors going forward cost us easy goals
Still not impressed by the defensive running of our midfield

Fugly:
Freos ball use

Kozzie electric

May and Lever rocks in defence. Completely dominated the air, its a disgrace Tabs ended up with 3 goals really.

Harmes and Hunt very poor. Brayshaw rusty but had some important touches/tackles.

Loved Sparrow and Jordons games for their work rate/tackling/contest. Jordon has some tricks.

Oliver and Trac off their best but still worked hard.

Tmac is back, baby

Trav Colyer is garbage

The Good:-
Lever, May and McDonald I would say stood out as the best.
Jackson, if he had his kicking shoes on, would have been up there as well. He could of had 4 I think.
Pickett looked good, as in more consistently good across the game (but last year was his first year).
Jordan did very well for a first game.

The Bad:-
Goal Kicking.
Melbournes midfield did not work in this game as well as it should have.

The Ugly:-
Injuries.

The win was nice, and we had some good signs in defence. Lever, May, Tomlinson were great. Jetta looked solid again. Rivers and Salem were good too.
Midfield was pretty pus, lazy or dumb (or both) in defense and at stoppages. Liked that we rotated some different faces in there, but should've done better with Gawn and a young Freo midfield. Faffed about with handball too often at times (Clarry especially).
Forward entries were weird. Spargo and Brayshaw laced out some beauties, to be followed up by bombs to nothing. Kicking at goal needs work. Could've been a much bigger win if we put away chances early.
McDonald has some touch back. Spargo and Kozzy were very lively. Langdon still runs plenty.

Hopefully the bad was just some round 1 rust, but I sense another 9-12 finish on the cards after that performance.

Loved kossie’s game today. When he was involved we actually looked like a decent footy team.

A really impressive effort given what he’s dealt with recently.
Thought he gave us a point of difference and created opportunities to score which we have been completely lacking
The Good:-
Lever, May and McDonald I would say stood out as the best.
Jackson, if he had his kicking shoes on, would have been up there as well. He could of had 4 I think.
Pickett looked good, as in more consistently good across the game (but last year was his first year).
Jordan did very well for a first game.

The Bad:-
Goal Kicking.
Melbournes midfield did not work in this game as well as it should have.

The Ugly:-
Injuries.
Weird how people see things differently I thought jackson was all right the older fella behind me thought he was s**t all day.

Today was basically a summary of Goodwin’s coaching career. Fleeting individual brilliance punctuating long periods of being underwhelming, and bullying an undermanned opposition while not really being in control. I’ll take a win in any context in round one there wasn’t anything to suggest we’ve evolved much since 17/18.

Good:
May & Lever were steady hands at the tiller down back, they helped us weather the storm when Freo were on top.

Jordon - solid debut and did some really nice things.

T McDonald - if he can contribute like that he will be going back to the penthouse from the outhouse.

Bad:
Midfield - got belted around the stoppages, were lazy and lacked two way running bar Langdon.

Skill level and composure - continues to be poor meaning that we can never truly control games, the fact that this has never really improved since 16/17 is a black mark against Goodwin.

Fugly:
What teams will do to us on a bad day if we play like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back