VFL VFL: Geelong Season 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freddie is a forward and he is only playing back as they thought no room forward with Hawkins Cameron and Rohan so with 2 of them out he should play....But think they will go with Fort

Or the club doesn't rate him as a forward and believe he has a better chance of a future at the club as a defender

We've been without Cameron for 2 weeks now, went into yesterdays VFL practice match knowing that Rohan was a chance at being suspended and yet they still decided the best option for Kreuger was down in defence

Surely if Krueger was in any serious consideration to be playing forward in the absence of Cameron and/or Rohan, they would actually train him & play him as a forward - something they ain't really doing

Could Jarvis play a similar role or not ready?

Maybe he could he cant ruck though so that depends if we want blicavs or someone else as our 2nd ruck.

Because the hawks tend to play 2 rucks i am thinking we may bring in a ruck option for rohan (eg jenkins) but we will see.

Left field idea, maybe Fort could be the second forward and switch with Stanley in the ruck? It would be a good opportunity to see Kreuger, but it seems that he is now at the other end of the field.

Thats possible if we think hes match fit (missed a lot of pre season).

PzBlinky

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
He was okay. Did look a little lost at times and his man would get him on a lead but made some good spoils when the ball was kicked in high and deep. He was pretty good by foot, taking a few kick ins too.

He played deep Full Back and Krueger played more CHB and was much better in my opinion, taking intercept marks and using his pace to dash off half back.

Looking at Neale he doesn’t look out of place body wise but if defence is where they want him, he will need time to learn the role. It seems they will play him all over the ground this year as a development year.

This gives me hope with Krueger. I'd love to see him replace Kolo or Henry and inject a little extra dash into our backline.

I know Clark and Bews already do it, though Clark doesn't always play back and it still feels like our backline is way too static at times.

We'll see if MC are prepared to make the big call... he certainly deserves a crack at seniors.

Ben Jarvis, Jackson McLachlan, Jordan Johnston and Cameron Taheny got on the end of a few while Kreuger was excellent running out off half-back.

... Kreuger again showcasing his speed and kicking ability out of defence.

Geelong continued to dominate thanks to some great work by Close, Jenkins and Holmes and some beautiful ball movement along the wing.

Youngster Max Holmes is also pushing his case for senior selection with another great performance along the wing and in the guts.

Geelong 5.5 10.5 16.8 21.9 (141)
Port Melbourne 2.0 4.4 7.5 10.7 (67)

Goals: Jenkins (5), Close, Jarvis (4), McLachlan (3), Johnston (2), Holmes, Duncan, Fort, Taheny (1)

Best: Holmes, Guthrie, Krueger, Fort, Close, Jenkins

Danger Signs at Port Melbourne Oval (geelongcats.com.au)

This gives me hope with Krueger. I'd love to see him replace Kolo or Henry and inject a little extra dash into our backline.

I know Clark and Bews already do it, though Clark doesn't always play back and it still feels like our backline is way too static at times.

We'll see if MC are prepared to make the big call... he certainly deserves a crack at seniors.
If he's ready for a crack at the level he's a monty to replace kolo but I don't know if he would play the same role as a Henry. We need a kp that can defend 1-1s against taller players.

Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong

gaz love x

All Australian
Oct 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Awesome that Holmes is showing signs early despite looking like more of a longer term prospect. Can he realistically get in the senior side with Duncan, Gola, Smith, and Clark options on the wing?

PzBlinky

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
If he's ready for a crack at the level he's a monty to replace kolo but I don't know if he would play the same role as a Henry. We need a kp that can defend 1-1s against taller players.

Yeah, fair enough... if they're going to keep moving Blicavs back in the ruck, we do. Don't think we need both Kolo and Henry though, so yeah, I'd agree that Kolo goes out to give Krueger a go.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Close for Dahlhaus and Jarvis for the missing Rohan
I like those changes
He's had so little footy, drafted off something like 4 games in 2 years? Would probably pay to keep him in a consistent position for a month or two. No rush
There’s no rush but also knocking down the door already is great
If he does it for a month in a row the senior side won’t have much choice
With Geelongs social media being all over him also I suspect it’s only a matter of time

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back