Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v Gold Coast, Saturday 10th Apr Metricon Stadium 7:25pm - Team post #931

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Betts was useless aside from that one brilliant goal. Dow poor, Casboult poor. Parks was great on debut but his disposal is a worry. Cottrell was last man in but he’s super fit, will be good at Metricon.

We tired so much and Suns get 2 extra days on us, but it’s crazy to make multiple changes after such a wonderful win like that.

Levi is safe because no one else can chop out Pitt in the ruck without ruining balance elsewhere. Gov or O can’t ruck. Witts will be a real handful as it is.

Setters in for Dow for mine.
Betts helped get Harry free on the lead on a number of occasions with his blocking behind play. Also his chasing and harrassing was very good. He did all the things a coach wants when you don't have the ball.

Agree Liam Stocker’s drawback is poor aerobic capacity, he must be able to see out in a match or least at least 2 to 3 quarters.
Has ability but fitness level is uninspired.
Surely can't be worse than Dow's?

You are a hard marker on Eddie, stick to your guns though. The body work, presence and pressure acts alone make him worth keeping. And he is a honey pot for the youngsters, providing immediacy of feedback and affirmation. Murphy offers none of these things and only does well when the game opens up, thus a good performance today. Fine with resting Levi, the rest is semantics and no unforced changes are likely to occur.

Not being hard on Eddie at all, suggesting he should get another week, yeah?

Did some good things a player of his experience should do and other small forwards put up similar pressure

I think for the role they’re playing Dow that Cunners would be better at it.

A couple of weeks in the VFL trying to rack up big possessions and getting his touch back will help Dow. But the way Teague spoke I think he’s going to persist with Dow.

I don’t see a spot for Setters this week. The wings looked far more balanced with Newnes and Cottrell, with Walsh rotating there at times.

MCG didn’t play the full game on Saturday. I think most likely is no change.

Betts was useless aside from that one brilliant goal.
Don't rate the blocks he put on for Mckay? Why do you think H took so many uncontesteds. What about the amount of errors freo made coming out of their back 50 cause Eddie knows how to pressure and make defenders play on edge for the rest of the game. He was already better at creating chaos and doing 1 percenters than anyone else we've played there this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s amazing how much better the team looked taking out two guys playing unsuitable roles (Williamson & Setterfield) and replacing them with naturals in that position (Parks & Cottrell).

No knock on those two but they need to be played to their strengths (Willo attacking role, Setters inside). Hopefully the coaching group learned something yesterday.

Dow for Cuningham/Stocker will be next, Levi rested (no need for dedicated second ruck without Witts) for McGovern.

This helps us big time.
Had a quick read of their board and they really don't have a great 2nd ruck option.

Zac Smith but injured. Day a backup but injured.

They ran with Burgess rucking & Greenwood around the ground vs Adelaide after Witts came off. Think they’ll go the same again, maybe Corbett coming in for another tall.

Greenwood has slaughtered Cripps in some previous games, so I’m sure they’ll want to keep that option available.

Good return from Plowman, showed really good character bouncing back like that and backing himself to intercept.

I still think we missed an opportunity to make a statement with a senior player but it seems like Teague's theme was to get the senior players to drive the result against Freo.

I'd still like two of Cunners, Stocker, LOB and Setters to come back into the side next week.

Listened to Tom Harley on SEN and he spoke about putting the young players into positions they see them playing in the future and getting games into them. It is a fine balancing act but we need to be mindful of not stunting development of a number of younger players because of sentiment.

I've been a big fan of Murphy his whole career but he'd be one I'd like to see out this week. Sends a good message about expected standards. Didn't bodyline the ball on a number of occasions. He and Betts can't be in the same team with where we are at (happy for Betts to stay if Murphy goes down to the twos).

Dow is playing a tough and thankless role I'd like to see him keep getting games. To his own detriment he doesn't go for the easy lead ups to pad his stats.

Casboult is clearly injured and should be given time to get closer to 100% fitness as his role of back up ruck is an important one.

Loved Parks and Cottrell... More inclusions like that please.

Dow has to go, did close to nothing.
I thought his involvement was good, but it just didn't work for him. A bit like SPS the last few rounds. I'd take a punt and give him another week before pulling the trigger. Pace is something we don't have too much of, and it's one of his weapons.

I’d bring in Gov next week and drop Cas. Put Parks or Jones into ruck when pitto needs a chop out and our 3 forwards would be JSOS Gov and Harry. Mobile, dangerous and deadly! Teague won’t drop Cas, but I’d love to see this. Also, hope Teague sticks with Cotrell, one of our few two way runners and gives absolutely everything.
Parks into the ruck??? Serious??? You're sick.

The coach referred to Casboult in his presser as part of the group he’d put it on to deliver. “And they delivered.”
So let’s forget Cas being dropped this week.
Casboult couldn't run or jump at the ball yesterday, which made him a liability. Needs a couple of weeks off to get his knee right. Would much rather sacrifice him for a couple of weeks now than have him going at 1/4 rat power for the remainder of the season.

Agree with the top 2 changes. Would go Stocker for Dow. Don't think Murphy will be dropped after today's game - did enough.
Also, it would be nice if Betts had more touches, however, his F50 pressure and all the little things he does in blocking for Mckay, bumps, niggles can't be ignored and don't count to the stats sheet. Keeps his spot until of those those 3 others you mentioned bangs the door down.

Out: Dow (providing nothing offensively and defensively)
I think this side of the equation gets too easily overlooked by many. Dow's no more effective defensively than Murphy.

You are a hard marker on Eddie, stick to your guns though. The body work, presence and pressure acts alone make him worth keeping. And he is a honey pot for the youngsters, providing immediacy of feedback and affirmation. Murphy offers none of these things and only does well when the game opens up, thus a good performance today. Fine with resting Levi, the rest is semantics and no unforced changes are likely to occur.
You clearly didn’t pay any attention to the work Eddie does without the ball. I don’t blame you, not many do.
I did actually, but both Gibbons & Fogarty do a lot of work off the ball too. At some point though you actually have to be able to get your hands on the ball. When you only get 4 disposals with 2 of them being clangers well...............it just ain't enough.

Agree Liam Stocker’s drawback is poor aerobic capacity, he must be able to see out in a match or least at least 2 to 3 quarters.
Running was OK in the magoos practice match. Is it up to AFL standard yet??? Debatable. One of the biggest criticisms of our team up to this point is that we've been carrying far too many passive players. Stocker is a little more pro-active, powerful and naturally aggressive than Dow, Murphy, etc and might just provide the spark we've been missing.

I’d bring in Gov next week and drop Cas.
Depends how they see the fitness of McGovern. 50/50 chance to come in this week.
In: McGovern (can kick snags)

play McGovern forward predominately in the magoos.
  1. If McGovern can't see out a full game at reserves practice match level then he still ain't right for senior selection. Only played out 3/4 of the game on Saturday.
  2. Our Reserves side is a pretty strong team as opposed to the old Northern Blues. 3 goals isn't exactly banging the door down considering the talent playing around him....especially when you know that he's got absolutely no intention of contributing to the defensive side of the game if you do select him.
  3. Needs to be able to demonstrate he's now got greater awareness than his hamstrings.
  4. Providing Gov's form, fitness, effort and application are up to scratch then I'm happy to promote him, but otherwise he needs to be sent a very clear message about what's required to be a professional AFL footballer.
For now I'd be giving O Mac an opportunity.

Regardless of any changes to the team, I think we're a very good chance of winning this game if we present ourselves with the same attitude as we did yesterday. The collective mindset of the group is more important to me than the individuals who make up the group. We have tended to do better at Metricon against this mob than we do at Marvel ironically. There is no excuse for us to be losing this game.

I was there. Murph was average. If average is the best you can produce in a match like that, it’s time to make way. He applies so little pressure that the opponents actually seem calmer when they see him coming at them. We can’t carry him if we want to be a legitimate contender for finals.
Bit of a shame he went on another year, think the level he was at last year would've been the best way to go out.

Says who?

That may have been the case when he was drafted, but that was three years ago....

Surely he or kennedy come in for Dow who has lost his way again.

The Governor played the majority of the game and did not look restrained at any stage. Honey started in the forward pocket. Gutsy hard at it and can bag a few. He played the majority of the game also and looked lively. Philps was brought on late and he definitely didn't look fit.

Would love to see Cunners Stocker and McGovern come in to Replace Murphy Betts and Cas. I call it a new for old replacement policy. We would want a more even spread of goal kickers and not be too reliant of Harry kicking us a bag.

IMO Dow deserves to be dropped. Was very fumbly and not switched on at times but I would persevere with a long term outlook of fast tracking his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back