Preview Sydney Swans vs GWS, Saturday April 17 @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed some of the young fellas had their first newspaper photoshoots this week, and I had too much time on my hands.

4DB2F8C3-92ED-4383-87B2-BB55005B6840.jpeg

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
We may have a slow midfield atm, but imo, as soon as Stephens gets up to speed and Rowbottom comes back in it will be a lot less of a problem. We have a really dynamic midfield coming up with Florent, Rowbottom, Stephens, Warner, Gulden, and the big body of Mill.

We may have a slow midfield atm, but imo, as soon as Stephens gets up to speed and Rowbottom comes back in it will be a lot less of a problem. We have a really dynamic midfield coming up with Florent, Rowbottom, Stephens, Warner, Gulden, and the big body of Mill.

Can't come together soon enough. Blakey too hopefully.

cherub

All Australian
Aug 12, 2009
Shenton Park
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think there is any evidence the Dylan Stephens hasn't come on. He was concussed in the pre-season, so was behind. The seniors have been playing well, so there's not been a chance to break in. He is quite slight, in any case, so a bit more time in the gym is probably protective.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
My concern with this match is that GWS (looking at you Mumford) will set out to bash our kids. It has happened before (JPK, Tippett) and my guess is they will want to do some damage at 0-4 (most likely). They have a few thugs and Cameron doesn't mind a bit. Mark my words.

Maddhew

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
What role is Cunningham playing at the moment? He seems to be flying under the radar.

Without disrupting the team too much, I would be keen to bring a few in for run and test the depth.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
What role is Cunningham playing at the moment? He seems to be flying under the radar.

Without disrupting the team too much, I would be keen to bring a few in for run and test the depth.
Small defender. Has been shutting down most of the opps small forwards. Adelaide match was the only game I recall a small forward getting on top of us, wouldn't be keen to drop him

Last edited:

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Any team at the scg is always still in the game

One kick from the centre

That is why our midfielders at centre bounces need to be fleet of foot where possible. The amount of times we get stuck in quick sand with Kennedy and Parker at times when there is a loose ball from the tap can be costly. They would be the first 2 I would have at a stoppage around the ground if my life depended on it that is for sure so its not a knock on either but it is about horses for courses and flexibility.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
On paper a should win game against the unwanted sibling , but have to turn up with the right attitude.
Only change I can see is Rowbottom for Heeney. Look for lizard to become more involved and not skirting around the outside of contests.

How will that be achieved ? Why and how is that going to change ? We have seen the same continuing from last year in the first 3 weeks. What makes you think it will happen next week as opposed to the previous 3 weeks ? Different role or the sizeable rocket he deserves which i might say he at this stage of his development he should not be exempt from. Like I've said before has enormous ability but this is no longer kick to kick with his mates at morning recess. Needs to pull his head out of his arse and realise where he is at. It has been well acknowledged on here by most that we fortunately are starting to build a level of depth on the list that games are no longer required to be gifted. As Hayward has found out which Imo will make him all the better player as he certainly has the ability.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
My concern with this match is that GWS (looking at you Mumford) will set out to bash our kids. It has happened before (JPK, Tippett) and my guess is they will want to do some damage at 0-4 (most likely). They have a few thugs and Cameron doesn't mind a bit. Mark my words.
I think what your saying would be the last thing on professional footballers minds, they wouldn’t give a toss, and in fact Swans go harder than the Giants at the moment.

I think we're now at the point with Rowbottom where it's been 3 weeks of doing very little training. That's hardly ideal for a 20 year old, and I think we're probably past the stage where he walks back in. He will probably need a VFL game, or even a half, in his legs before he returns.

Hayward for Heeney seems an almost certainty. It's not ideal, but many (myself included) called for Hayward to be dropped, and so he deserves this chance to come back and show that he's worked hard on his game.

Any unforced changes I think will be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Horse liked Blakey's game against Essendon even less than some of us did. He's all about work rate and discipline, and I think some of the efforts and antics from Blakey off the ball would've bothered him more than what he did with the ball.

I'm sure he'd love to get Melican in, but I can't see him dropping any of those in the back-line.

So I think we will see:
IN - Hayward, Stephens
OUT - Heeney, Blakey, Bell
With Rowbottom in the VFL.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I think what your saying would be the last thing on professional footballers minds, they wouldn’t give a toss, and in fact Swans go harder than the Giants at the moment.

We also thought the Tigers would target our kids. It turns out we targeted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we're now at the point with Rowbottom where it's been 3 weeks of doing very little training. That's hardly ideal for a 20 year old, and I think we're probably past the stage where he walks back in. He will probably need a VFL game, or even a half, in his legs before he returns.

Hayward for Heeney seems an almost certainty. It's not ideal, but many (myself included) called for Hayward to be dropped, and so he deserves this chance to come back and show that he's worked hard on his game.

Any unforced changes I think will be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Horse liked Blakey's game against Essendon even less than some of us did. He's all about work rate and discipline, and I think some of the efforts and antics from Blakey off the ball would've bothered him more than what he did with the ball.

I'm sure he'd love to get Melican in, but I can't see him dropping any of those in the back-line.

So I think we will see:
IN - Hayward, Stephens
OUT - Heeney, Blakey, Bell
With Rowbottom in the VFL.

What has he done to deserve a recall since he was omitted ? Genuine question.

What has he done to deserve a recall since he was omitted ? Genuine question.

He is just putting in consistent performances week in, week out and he's just got to keep knocking on Horse's (John Longmire) door and when the time comes he will be ready.

^^ Laidler's words, not mine. Sounds like he is doing everything right in the reserves, which is all you can ask of him really. He's gotta bring it in the 22 if given the chance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back