List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Dodo talks a big game and he does it for the media attention. He is a list manager at a big Vic club. You need to get ahead of the deal, you need to look like you’re in control and driving a hard bargain. I’m sure he actually is a pain to negotiate with but he gets the Dons in the media and keeps them there

Now all of that being said - what ridiculous deals have actually happened? Usually the trades get done and most seem reasonable. Saad, Daniher, Raz, Ryder, Monfries (assume this was him?), etc, etc.

It’s why I can’t see a deal for Merrett being matched. Apart from Cameron, what other deals have been matched?

Dons get an extra top 5 pick and lose a player that has said he wants to leave (if he agrees to a FA contract I mean, he hasn’t decided yet). Why force a trade? What’s there to gain? It makes the situation messy for all and it’s unlikely something good comes out of it.

Now Port have a history of being honest and getting the deal done. If the Dons did force a trade then Port sort that. I just don’t think it would happen and it wouldn’t be as useful to the dons. For example pick 12-18 + Williams (let’s say - good player, Vic boy) - that better than Horne or some other top 5 draft pick? If losing Daniher and gaining Cox has shown us anything, is that those top 8 or so picks are like gold.

So if the Essendon poster wants a reasonable chat, the starting point would be why would the dons match a bid and what would they realistically expect in a trade? Cause I certainly can’t see why they do it and what Port would realistically give up.

You can add Smith, Shiel, Stringer and Carlisle to that list also, he gets deals done, it’s quite fascinating the hate the bloke gets, his draft record with limited top end picks is pretty good also, two rising star winners in Mcgrath and Heppell, Hurley and Merrett All Australians, Parish finally fulfilled his potential, the jury is out on Francis but has had issues.
Their hasn’t been too many first round draft pick flops from him.

To answer your question, I’d imagine it’d a combination of picks and players if a trade were to eventuate, I don’t think you let a 25 year old two time B&F winner in his prime walk out the door without putting up a massive fight, no one seemed to have an issue with the Bulldogs playing hardball with Dunkley, I know it’s not the same as a RFA but the principle is.

Another thing to keep in mind is Essendon have a fair bit of cap space, they may have a FA target of their own, any compensation they could potentially get for Zach could be jeopardised in this scenario.

Plenty to play out yet, Port won’t be the only team knocking on his door either.

He is exactly what our midfield needs. Another butters level quality kick that runs all day and has great positioning.

And We have enough speed now.
we have speed in the team, Not through the midfield though

not sure his disposals hurt as much as the elite mids. He reminds me a bit in the Tom Mitchell

id want more for the reported amount we would have to pay

Number 1 draft pick wins Rising Star.... Well done.

And that result was debatable too.

My point is, it’s all he has had to work with, whether you think Mcgrath should have won it or not and I am not sure how you would think he shouldn’t have, he’s miles better than Burton now in any case, he clearly didn’t * that pick up.

How the fu** does a team that hasn't won a final on 18 years "not have many first round draft picks to play with"? Just terrible list management perhaps?

Have you been living under a rock?

Draft sanctions.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point is, it’s all he has had to work with, whether you think Mcgrath should have won it or not and I am not sure how you would think he shouldn’t have, he’s miles better than Burton now in any case, he clearly didn’t fu** that pick up.

Burton wasn't even taken in the same draft lol.

McCluggage was the obvious pick then and he's still the obvious pick now.

That explains 2 years. What about the other 16?

I quoted the last 10 years where he’s had limited picks to work with, the 5 he’s had are all playing at present, if you want to include Heppell from 2010 then there’s another B&F winner/All Australian.

All I am saying is he’s hardly ****ed up his draft picks and he’s been able to get players to come into the club via trade.

Essendon has obviously had a mountain of issues, very little of it has been to do with Dodoro.

I quoted the last 10 years where he’s had limited picks to work with, the 5 he’s had are all playing at present, if you want to include Heppell from 2010 then there’s another B&F winner/All Australian.

All I am saying is he’s hardly f’ed up his draft picks and he’s been able to get players to come into the club via trade.

Essendon has obviously had a mountain of issues, very little of it has been to do with Dodoro.

So he’s picked five players in the last ten years that are still playing for the club? Incredible.

Essendon might need to consider giving him a raise or he might get poached.

Tim Taranto is the best player from that draft.

We've picked up better half back flankers in the rookie draft than McGrath

Last edited:
How many years did the draft sanctions take out ?
Dont be deceitful.

Heres another question: how many years has he been looking after your list, and how many of those years have you made finals.

This is the crux of it right here.

If he was our list manager the pitchforks would have been out at Alberton years ago.

Why has every player Essendon have landed gone on to be worse than what they produced at their former club? Smith and Shiel prime examples. Stringer neither here nor there.

Houli left and became a star.

Saad probably played better football at Essendon than the Suns if only slightly but that's probably more down to maturity than anything, now at Carlton.

Why has every player Essendon have landed gone on to be worse than what they produced at their former club? Smith and Shiel prime examples. Stringer neither here nor there.

Houli left and became a star.

Saad probably played better football at Essendon than the Suns if only slightly but that's probably more down to maturity than anything, now at Carlton.

Monfries left and kicked 39 goals in his first year at Port (previous best in his 8 seasons at Essendon was 31).

Ryder left and became an All Australian and B&F winner.

* essendon, the pricks ruined my enjoyment of everything footy related with that God damn drug saga. I'm glad the once mighty bombers have been reduced to our feeder side.

This is the crux of it right here.

If he was our list manager the pitchforks would have been out at Alberton years ago.

I’m not quite sure why we’re discussing dodo so intently but let’s broaden this.

Since 2004.

We’ve had two decent cracks at a flag 2014 and 2020. Every team bar the Suns and blues have looked a real chance of a flag during this time, except the dons. Blues have played and won finals more recently and the Suns are a new team and a rabble. He gets the deals done and picks ok players but build a flag competitive list he does not.

Regardless the point remains, one FA has been matched in the history of the scheme. If he wants to come he will.
If the dons force a trade they are getting lower first round picks and lesser players than if they take the compo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back