Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

After last week's game, I watched closely tonight, and saw no evidence of Richmond deliberately kneeing people to cause corkies.

Which leads me to believe that last week was simply a case of Lemony Snicket, a series of unfortunate events! :cautiousv1:

Who the fu** is this Georgie Parker woman reading from the prompter for these betting odds.

fu** off sportsbet you campaigners

The loophole I reckon with these constant betting ads is that they'll provide some football analysis, like speaking briefly on the form of a player or the team.

Add that with the 'gamble responsibly' disclaimer its probably why I don't think it'll go away anytime soon.

But the analysis is so wrapped in the betting odds, it's inevitably the punchline of why they're speaking about it in the first place.

That was the weirdest and he had that blank glazed eye stare into the camera. He did say some strange stuff.

There was a great thread, I think in the Fourth Estate board, that ran all season, 2012 I think, when 7 made their Saturday arvo call team of Basil Zempilas, Hamish McLachlan, Kirk and Malthouse.

Ever Saturday arvo game, people would watch the game and added the dumb stuff the first 3 said and occasionally by Malthouse, into that thread. I remember PMSL many times reading that when I didn't see the game. and Kirk made a decent contribution.

Its slightly odd but I think there's greater irrelevance being told what private boarding school players went to, who bloody cares.

The interesting one was Alastair Lynch had a direct conflict of interest as a player manager and commentator which went completely unmonitored. You'd be listening to a Brisbane game and he'd be talking up some average plodder to death.

I love a punt on anything but the amount of betting agency ads and exposure really needs to be looked at.

Why does every campaigner say "dee-fence" now.

American sport rubbing off I guess.

giphy.gif

Its slightly odd but I think there's greater irrelevance being told what private boarding school players went to, who bloody cares.

The interesting one was Alastair Lynch had a direct conflict of interest as a player manager and commentator which went completely unmonitored. You'd be listening to a Brisbane game and he'd be talking up some average plodder to death.
Lynch did get picked up a few times especially when he was singing the praises of a couple of absolute duds and it dawned on a couple of people that the conflict was clear.

Liam Pickering was the one who was the most blatant at it. So much that he got kicked off of Fox Sports when they had the TV rights between 2007-11 or maybe it was he didn't get a gig at new Fox Footy when that was set up for the 2012-16 TV deal.

Dougal Howard lol. The classic athlete trying and failing to turn into a decent footballer. The fact that we essentially turned him into Georgiades is just amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch did get picked up a few times especially when he was singing the praises of a couple of absolute duds and it dawned on a couple of people that the conflict was clear.

Liam Pickering was the one who was the most blatant at it. So much that he got kicked off of Fox Sports when they had the TV rights between 2007-11 or maybe it was he didn't get a gig at new Fox Footy when that was set up for the 2012-16 TV deal.

Pickering would've been the most highest earning player manager around 2012. Was managing both Buddy and Ablett when they got mega deals to the Swans and GC, so commentary would've been pocket change to him just about.

Prepare for the best version of the Saints possible at the Portress next Sunday night after this smashing. 9 day break too which will assist their pressure game.

Games against the Saints with the exception of last year have always been the same. They stay in touch with us for a half or so and then we steamroll them.

I remember their mids last year belted the stuffing out of our mids including Wines. Ryder for some reason who looked washed up before that gave us a bath up forward.

How is 32k a really good crowd for 2 Melbourne teams??
Including one with a 100k members?
This is bad. Mainly because if the AFL starts to be worried about the crowds in Melbourne, they may become even more Victoria-centered in an effort to "fix" the issue.

---

P.S: The more I think about it, despite the fact that it would never happen, dividing the league in two conferences (Victorian and Australian) should be the way to go. If the league expands, the names wouldn't be an issue. After all, the VFL now already goes all the way to Queensland.

The AFL would have an AFC and a VFC:

AFC – Freo and WC; WL and Port; GC and Lions; GWS and Swans; and one Victorian club (out of North, Saints, Dogs, Geelong, or Hawthorn);
VFC – Pies, Blues, Tigers, Bombers, Demons, and four others (out of North, Saints, Dogs, Geelong, and Hawthorn).

(My preference would be putting Geelong in the AFC; not only is the only club out of Melbourne, but it wouldn't affect any of the stadium's deals.)

Clubs would play home and away within conference (16 matches), plus 6 games (3H, 3A) against teams from the other conference. (22 matches)
In three season, every team would have played against all others at least once at home and once away.

The GF wouldn't be necessarily AFC v. VFC. The conferences would mix during Finals.

- The Top-2 from each conference go to QF.
- The 3rd-place in each conference get a home EF.
- The last two EF spots go for wild cards.
- The wildcard spots would be decided in Wild Card Finals between the best 4 remaining teams regardless of their conference.

Conferences would have a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 7 clubs qualified for Finals.

WC - 7 v 10 (WC1); 8 v 9 (WC2);

QF - VFC1 v. AFC2 (QF1); AFC1 v. VFC2 (QF2);
EF - VFC3 v. WC (EF1); AFC3 v. WC (EF2);

SF - LQF1 v. WEF1 (SF1); LQF2 v. WEF2 (SF2);

PF - WQF1 v. WSF2 (PF1); WQF2 v. WSF2 (PF2);

GF - WPF1 v. WPF2.

QF1, EF1, SF1, and GF would be at the MCG.

---

EXTRA: Those teams not qualified for Finals would play for the Draft order.

The Bottom-2 from each conference would play for the first 4 picks.
QF - VFC9 v AFC9;
EF - VFC9 v AFC9 (loser gets #4);

PF - LQF v WEF (loser gets #3);

GF - WQF v WPF (loser gets #2; winner, #1).
The other 4 teams would play for picks #5 to #10, against the WC losers.
PF - 11 v 14 (PF1); 12 v 13 (PF2);

WC - LPF1 v LWC; LPF2 v LWC; (losers get #9 or #10; winners, #7 or #8)

GF - WPF1 v WPF2. (loser gets #6; winner, #5)

---

SCHEDULE
Week 1:
Finals WC, Draft I QF/EF (2), Draft II PF (2) (6 matches)
Week 2: Finals QF/EF, Draft I PF (1), Draft II WC (2) (7 matches)
Week 3: Finals SF, Draft I GF (1), Draft II GF (1) (4 matches)
Week 4: Finals PF (2 matches)
Week 5: Finals GF (1 match)

Last edited:
Dougal Howard lol. The classic athlete trying and failing to turn into a decent footballer. The fact that we essentially turned him into Georgiades is just amazing.

we traded a future 1st to get the Georgiades pick

the Howard pick we traded down during the draft and took Williams and banked a future 2nd that we likely traded away or used on mead.

Posters on this board still trying to pretend the Howard deal wasn't terrible lol.

The only saving grace is that we lucked out with the Aliir deal a year after. The Aliir deal probably doesn't happen if we still have Howard, and we managed to fleece Sydney even harder than the Saints fleeced us, so it all worked out in the end.

Posters on this board still trying to pretend the Howard deal wasn't terrible lol.

The only saving grace is that we lucked out with the Aliir deal a year after. The Aliir deal probably doesn't happen if we still have Howard, and we managed to fleece Sydney even harder than the Saints fleeced us, so it all worked out in the end.

Dougal Howard is an actual potato, any deal that gets him off the list is a good deal.

Does any one have any intel on when the next batch of game times will be released?

I want to go to Melbourne for the Collingwood game (round 10), but can’t book anything without knowing when the game will be.

Anyone know when the game might be?

Does any one have any intel on when the next batch of game times will be released?

I want to go to Melbourne for the Collingwood game (round 10), but can’t book anything without knowing when the game will be.

Anyone know when the game might be?
Unless someone on BigFooty works at AFL House they'd just be guessing.

"The AFL said it’ll aim to release Rounds 9 and 10 fixtures after Round 5 has been completed."

So you should know some time next week.

Did Don Scott leave or did he get fired? He is the worst ex player special comments guy I have had to listen to on TV. Most ex players as boundary riders are useless but at least they are rarely heard outside the quarter breaks.

Kirk was so bizzaro bad, he was entertaining.

I reckon Studley Cornes got the lemonade and sars from C7 after no more than about a season or so, and although not footy related, the first female cricket commentator on C9 some years back would probably win the `bizzaro' stakes hands down, eg her non stop waffling on the first morning of a test about how beautiful a Pakistani players eyes were.
From memory she may have even been replaced during that same series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back