Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game is too long because:
- Players get fatigued and the game becomes a clangerfest 5 minutes into the last quarter.
- Its a long time to focus for a spectator, especially in a crowded stadium which can be overstimulating to many people.
- It increases the chances of injuries occurring significantly.
- It means less rounds can be played which means less games for me to watch.
- It increases the fitness requirements for players to make it at AFL level, which decreases the size of the potential player pool.

One potential downside of shortening games is that zone defences could become an even stronger tactic. I’m not quite sure though.

Did you feel the game was too long prior to 2020?
I've felt footy was too long since I became a virile young stud about a billion years ago and wanted to get to parties or bars after. Sitting in a traffic jam in karparkistan at about half 10 was not conducive to an active sex life.

The fitness argument is bullshit, shorter quarters & more games herp derp cancels it out.
I’m all for more games!
Proper home and away regardless of quarter times.
I don’t give a s**t about fitness, that will be pushed to whichever limit is imposed.

Well watching 360 was a waste of 60minutes I won’t get back.

Can't believe they spent a full 10 minutes talking about who had the upper hand in the Buckley/Collingwood saga. At least the Seinfeld 'I have hand' sketch had a punchline:

"But I have hand!

And you're gonna need it."

Game length is arbitrary, of course. There are two numbers to be considered: (a) from bounce to siren; and (b) ball in play.

The first one is about product quality. It matters for the entertainment value of the game. The latter matters for the athletes, their health, due the demand of the game on their bodies.

It’s two separate discussions.

Soccer usually goes around 110’, but the ball is actually in play for 50’ to 55’. American football has the ball in play for similar time, but the match runs for 3h, if I’m not mistaken. American sports tend to have plenty of dead time.

In footy, the ball is in play for longer than both (70’, I would guess). Its match length, however, is somewhat in-between soccer and American. That’s not a bad place to be.

When I started watching the game, I thought footy originally had 30’ quarters, before going to the 20’ countdown game clock. The duration has never bothered me. The shorter quarters were good for me (extra sleep, less interference on work hours), but who would want less footy?!

I already said this. The main issue is NOT having reset the clock at 20’, but reducing the interchanges. Teams need to readjust. Some are doing fine, and others are struggling — as it should be expected. That’s all.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe they spent a full 10 minutes talking about who had the upper hand in the Buckley/Collingwood saga. At least the Seinfeld 'I have hand' sketch had a punchline:

"But I have hand!

And you're gonna need it."
On the subject of hands, watching the replay of Sunday night's game and Derm says after Carlisle gets both hands to the ball but drops the mark, "Carlisle has a lovely pair of hands above his head". If they'd been on the end of his arms he may have held the mark.

You eliminate the come from the clouds win with last years game length, games were pretty much dusted last year with a four goal lead.. the Crows beat Hawthorn in Tassie last weekend.

They just need to tinker with a few things so it doesn't go beyond the 120 minute mark too often.
Well I for one wish last year's Showdown went a bit longer - seeing Port smash the enemy by 100 points would have been pure gold!!!

Watching the Tiwi Island GF from a month ago on NITV. Looks like a Kantilla has just kicked the match winner for the Walama Bulldogs vs Imalu Tigers.

I love that half the Tigers players are wearing bright yellow/orangey shorts and the other half in black shorts. Most of the Bulldogs players are wearing blue shorts but have seen a couple of black shorts.

Gotta love amatuer footy. I was lucky enough to play with the great Bob Neil at Adelaide Uni. To get around the problem of wearing black shorts at home and white away, he permanently wore grey shorts.

Meh if youre after a shorter game there are so many options - soccer and basketball for a couple.

I definitely think the calls for shortening the game are at least partially due to the piss poor level of commentary. Much easier to watch long games with Cometti/prime McAvaney than having to listen to some of the muppets commentating now.

Meh if youre after a shorter game there are so many options - soccer and basketball for a couple.

I definitely think the calls for shortening the game are at least partially due to the piss poor level of commentary. Much easier to watch long games with Cometti/prime McAvaney than having to listen to some of the muppets commentating now.
Bit unfair on Fozzie Bear and company - they were often far more entertaining than our footy commentators.

I don’t watch non Port games on TV anymore really, I’ll have it on in the background occasionally. I am talking about being live at the game when I’m talking about game length.
If I was watching on TV the length would be irrelevant as I could watch something else.

.... I definitely think the calls for shortening the game are at least partially due to the piss poor level of commentary. ...
The only games I watch with the sound on are Ports' games because the commentary is so bad. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem with the length of the games.

Watching the replay of Sunday night's game over the last couple of days and Derm discussing mouth guard colours when calling the play. Riveting stuff. :rolleyes:

Watching the Tiwi Island GF from a month ago on NITV. Looks like a Kantilla has just kicked the match winner for the Walama Bulldogs vs Imalu Tigers.

I love that half the Tigers players are wearing bright yellow/orangey shorts and the other half in black shorts. Most of the Bulldogs players are wearing blue shorts but have seen a couple of black shorts.

Gotta love amatuer footy. I was lucky enough to play with the great Bob Neil at Adelaide Uni. To get around the problem of wearing black shorts at home and white away, he permanently wore grey shorts.

I watched a Tiwi Island v Darwin amatuer league rep team as the curtain raiser to the Essendon v NTFL rep team back in 87 or 88. Most of the Tiwi players played bare foot. I've never seen so many "hangers" taken in one match. Very fast skillful and high leaping players. Apparently Ron Barassi tried to lure some of them back to Melbourne at one stage but they are a very tight knit family orientated community and wouldn't leave the Island for any length of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back