Preview Round 7, 2021: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 1st May, 4:35PM AEST *CROUCH 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Hawks

Votes: 26 53.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He seems to be in a yellow jumper a lot of weeks, I think it's just for match ups

Battle Played on Hill in match simulation...on the wing.

Jones was pretty fired up actually
had few skirmishes today , the one with Hill was tame.
Decked Dunstan in ferocious tackle , was taking no prisoners today Zac.

I'm not sure if there is a replacement for Ryder. The only other pure tap ruckman in the league who comes close to him is Naitanui (not at all available).

In the long term I wonder if Max King will have to play some ruck minutes. He is 202cm tall!
The replacement is to make one. Just get someone who can jump really high and then hire Ryder as a full time ruck coach to develop them. The man has more knowledge on how to win ruck contests than most players have in one knee

Battle Played on Hill in match simulation...on the wing.

Jones was pretty fired up actually
had few skirmishes today , the one with Hill was tame.
Decked Dunstan in ferocious tackle , was taking no prisoners today Zac.

thanks for the reports mate!

Setanta O'Hailpin. Sigh. Half Irish. Half Fijian. What could go wrong? If it's not a party it's a riot. Fun fact his brother Aisake also played for Carlton.
Another fun fact their brother delivered the all Ireland final winning speech in Irish when 90% of the crowd couldn’t understand him!

Honestly, I think it's a bit weak that Ratten even has to justify that.

First of all it's almost nothing, and laughable how desperate the AFL media are to dramatise it. Also, they said it was "high intensity at training" but that little grab showed the players going into contests at way less than half required intensity. If that's what the club believes is high intensity, that's the first area to fix right away.

Secondly we've narrowly won 2 matches and been blown apart in 4, including a lamentable Essendon and wasteful Melbourne and Port. We are at the foot of the ladder. You'd be shocked and ashamed if the players were all cruising along, especially our ring ins who've come from clubs with recent winning cultures - these players know what is required after form like this. It's frightening that only Jones and Hill are getting into it while all the other timid little boys who got developed at St Kilda are all trudging round enjoying the sun. That is a club that is off the boil and devoid of real leadership IMO. Needs to be addressed urgently, can't afford to just wait a few years until the current leadership group grow into their roles.

Thirdly, Ratten's talking about the need for players to communicate throughout the game rather than at the breaks, almost as if it's this new concept when in actual fact it's something that any team worth a damn has already been doing since sport was invented. I can only hope he's explaining this for the FB nuffies who know more about outrage and gossip than team sports. One massive difference I noticed in our match Vs Richmond was how the Tigers players were talking to each other at every available moment during the game. Not shouting or glib motivation stuff but calm focused discussion about what was happening and what to do. Hardly saw any of that from our players.

I think there currently is a culture problem at our club and I don't mean the global historic chestnut that we swatted away after the Dwarf fire, I mean a lack of leadership, a lack of hunger/fire and a lack of organisation/communication at critical moments. I hope I'm wrong but I think we're not actually playing that badly being that were missing critical personnel, but we are missing those vital elements and any win or form reversal we experience is just going to paper over these cracks.

Last edited:
Invoke the spirit of 2008 - 34 points down shortly before half time and a rousing Nick Riewoldt speech fired us up for a whopping eight goal third term.

the highlight perhaps is at 1:37:50 when Clint Jones runs down Buddy. Enjoy.

First of all it's almost nothing, and laughable how desperate the AFL media are to dramatise it. Also, they said it was "high intensity at training" but that little grab showed the players going into contests at way less than half required intensity. If that's what the club believes is high intensity, that's the first area to fix right away.

Secondly we've narrowly won 2 matches and been blown apart in 4, including a lamentable Essendon and wasteful Melbourne and Port. We are at the foot of the ladder. You'd be shocked and ashamed if the players were all cruising along, especially our ring ins who've come from clubs with recent winning cultures - these players know what is required after form like this. It's frightening that only Jones and Hill and getting into it while all the other little boys who got developed at St Kilda are all trudging round enjoying the sun. That is a club that is off the boil and devoid of real leadership IMO. Needs to be addressed urgently.

Thirdly, Ratten's talking about the need for players to communicate throughout the game rather than at the breaks, almost as if it's this new concept when in actual fact it's something that any team worth a damn has already been doing since sport was invented. I can only hope he's explaining this for the FB nuffies who know more about outrage and gossip than team sports. One massive difference I noticed in our match Vs Richmond was how the Tigers players were talking to each other at every available moment during the game. Not shouting or glib motivation stuff but calm focused discussion about what was happening and what to do. Didn't see hardly any of that from our players.

I think there currently is a culture problem at our club and I don't mean the global historic chestnut that we swatted away after the Dwarf fire, I mean a lack of leadership, a lack of hunger/fire and a lack of organisation/communication at critical moments. I hope I'm wrong but I think we're not actually playing that badly being that were missing critical personnel, but we are missing those vital elements and any win or form reversal we experience is just going to paper over these cracks.

Excellent post.

Excellent post.
Cheers Tom! I expect one or two might say "well hold on they ARE addressing it, thats the point of the report", but if the club are as concerned about this as the media appear to be, then that's a red flag IMO. Yes Ratts downplayed it, but regardless this type of thing seems the exception rather than the rule down at sunny Moorabbin.

I'm not saying we need 38 players brawling with each other, but this kind of form would normally sharpen the mind and have a bit more snarling.

My fear is that they all think once Paddy and Rowan are straightening us up on field, we'll be right as rain - no need to panic, but as I said, I think that's only part of it and I worry that the coaches and players still don't really see this issue.

I'm guessing that the coaches will jump at the chance to drop Carlisle under the guise of being managed.

Out: Carlisle, McKenzie, Long
In: Ryder, Webster

B: Webster, Howard, Joyce
HB: Coffield, Wilkie, Clark
C: Hill, Steele, Ross
HF: Billings, Marshall, Higgins
F: Butler, King, Membrey

Foll: Ryder, Crouch, Jones
Int: Battle, Bytel, Lonie, Sinclair

Sub: Wood

Hoping they don't make Byrnes sub. Needs to get a month of match fitness and touch in the VFL.

Absolutely no result would surprise me. We could win by 10 goals, lose by 20 or it could be a draw. Just depends on whether they turn up with effort and play as a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Secondly we've narrowly won 2 matches and been blown apart in 4, including a lamentable Essendon and wasteful Melbourne and Port. We are at the foot of the ladder. You'd be shocked and ashamed if the players were all cruising along, especially our ring ins who've come from clubs with recent winning cultures - these players know what is required after form like this. It's frightening that only Jones and Hill are getting into it while all the other timid little boys who got developed at St Kilda are all trudging round enjoying the sun. That is a club that is off the boil and devoid of real leadership IMO. Needs to be addressed urgently, can't afford to just wait a few years until the current leadership group grow into their roles.

Thirdly, Ratten's talking about the need for players to communicate throughout the game rather than at the breaks, almost as if it's this new concept when in actual fact it's something that any team worth a damn has already been doing since sport was invented. I can only hope he's explaining this for the FB nuffies who know more about outrage and gossip than team sports. One massive difference I noticed in our match Vs Richmond was how the Tigers players were talking to each other at every available moment during the game. Not shouting or glib motivation stuff but calm focused discussion about what was happening and what to do. Hardly saw any of that from our players.

It's hard to criticise the man, but would like to see a bit more direction and passion towards his teammates from Steele as the captain- not knocking his efforts as a player, but as a captain you need to bring a little bit extra. I just don't see much leadership out there. Over the years I've seen and played sport with guys who are natural leaders and drag others along with them, and those who are not, although very good at what they do.

It's hard to criticise the man, but would like to see a bit more direction and passion towards his teammates from Steele as the captain- not knocking his efforts as a player, but as a captain you need to bring a little bit extra. I just don't see much leadership out there. Over the years I've seen and played sport with guys who are natural leaders and drag others along with them, and those who are not, although very good at what they do.
And everyone put in like Steele we wouldn’t be 2 & 4

As said the Hill / Jones thing was non event ....but there were some minutes over 2 hours , big tackles ,
some ordinary ball delivery , they did train differently with some aspects of ball movement though.

Lade for one bristling with some match simulation...defence stoppage practice
The words do it again ...were loud and clear.
Few frustrated footballers on the paddock today , wouldn’t say it was great training session .

Ratten is on the money with lack of confidence... will be interesting which way it goes Saturday.

Ratten is on the money with lack of confidence... will be interesting which way it goes Saturday.

Well we will know after Saturday if it is season over or there is some flickering flame left in the fire. Next 2 games really are non-negotiable. if we get to 4 - 4 with some momentum we still have some chance. Anything less than that and I think we can safely put the season to bed and start talking about drafts.

As said the Hill / Jones thing was non event ....but there were some minutes over 2 hours , big tackles ,
some ordinary ball delivery , they did train differently with some aspects of ball movement though.

Few frustrated footballers on the paddock today , wouldn’t say it was great training session .

Thanks for the great report Stew. Doesn’t sound promising, might double down on that hawks bet before they dip under 2 bucks.
Did you happen to notice who was delivering the ball inside 50 to our (hopefully) leading players? And who was putting on the pressure on those inside 50 kicks?

Well we will know after Saturday if it is season over or there is some flickering flame left in the fire. Next 2 games really are non-negotiable. if we get to 4 - 4 with some momentum we still have some chance. Anything less than that and I think we can safely put the season to bed and start talking about drafts.

Think we are already there now myself , regardless of results.

Thanks for the great report Stew. Doesn’t sound promising, might double down on that hawks bet before they dip under 2 bucks.
Did you happen to notice who was delivering the ball inside 50 to our (hopefully) leading players? And who was putting on the pressure on those inside 50 kicks?

As said sometimes bad training session is not bad thing , some guys are frustrated .

Love to say ball movement to forwards is great it’s not.

Would say however we did train with ball movement around the ground differently , it was more in line
with rule changes ..let’s see what happens.

My fear is its heading this way

giphy (33).gif

I agree, but that's not the point I'm making- he puts in hugely, but being a leader is more than that.
Understand your point
I would be more happy if he had some teammates that thought gee Jack is 6 games into his captaincy, we need to stand up here and help him out. I think it shows why he was the only choice for the job and the void of leadership we have on game day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back