Autopsy Round 7, 2021: Hawks refuse to take the field

Remove this Banner Ad

One or two out of T Mitchell, Worpel & Liam Shiels need to be traded or let go. We have too many similar type midfielders who have poor disposal. Can we please get Josh Kelly/Whitfield and Karl Amon into the club.

Pretty sure we chased Amon a few years back. Not sure what happened in the end, but clearly he didn't leave sadly.

There were a few positives.

Scrimshaw, Worpel, Impey, Kosi and Hardwick toiled hard.

Cousins, Shiels and Mitchell got a lot of the ball.

Finn did a few good things, strong in a tackle.

There weren't any injuries.

Without sounding like a prick, can I just make an observation on Scrimmers.
Pros.
Absolutely knows where the ball is going.
Spoils marks, knows the ball drop can read the play.
Can hit a target with safe short options by had and foot.
Racks up numbers.

Cons
Takes short options and passes off responsibility to other players.

Handballs to players with one step or less to make something happen

One arm tackling, see Hunter Clark goal final minutes.

Where he exceeds a Stratton he ain't no Stratton.

Last edited:
Not blaming umpires for the loss but if hand passes are the future we need a rule go no forward passes
That one at the start of the 2nd half was an absolute joke. Saints player dropped it cold and then the tackler lingers you get penalised for holding

Last edited:
Reckon its been said after almost every game , we lack the class of the really good sides and it will take time for us to rectify that.

I actually didnt mind the look of the 3 tall forwardline , we just didnt get enough good opportunity there .
Hope we persist with it .

We copped them at a bad time and they got us at a good time for them .
No excuse we were pretty ordinary and they taught us a lesson .

Move on and get better .

Morrison form has dropped off
CJ’s worst game of the year
Cousins tried hard, was OK but wants to stay in the seniors needs to sharpen up on he’s disaposal, particularly when under pressure
Lewis and Jeka back to Box Hill
Moore’s second half may have cover up he’s poor first half
Shiels might need to get managed
Maguinness was ok in the second half
Scrimshaw might need to play him on the week
Hardwick Clanger it a bit today
Gunston needed the run

It's one thing I agree with on Clarko, before he changed it and we can see the results, and that is two ruckman to bash and crash for our mids - we just need to find two rucks is all :D
And the 2 ain't Kosi & Lewis
Crazy stuff having them do it

Cousins needs a month in the team. If he can just work on his decision making then he might make it.

His disposal has always been average, even at BHH. He's not the answer for mine when you already have Worpel, Shiels, Phillips and Mitchell in the midfield who are all average kicks. We need to get Downie into the team for run and his kicking.

Positives- Kosi and Worpel getting back into form, plus I didn't mind Obriens efforts down back.

Negatives- Well for me our biggest issue is Mitchell. I actually think he is doing us more harm than good at the moment being in the centre. One of those players where you look at the stats sheet and you'd think he dominated. But he actually has little to no effect on games right now. I wouldn't care if he was traded at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the 2 ain't Kosi & Lewis
Crazy stuff having them do it
Mate I can handle lossing because we just ain't good enough - but this - our future GTFO

(the GFTO ain't directed at you mate, it's at whichever genius coach decided on it)

Last edited:
Feel for Jeka. Would be getting more opportunities at Box Hill.

Interesting issue isnt it? "Play the kids" we all cry (or some of us do). But include too many and you getting smashed regularly and what does it do for them? I dont know the answer, but today's experience with Jeka gives some merit to Clarko's argument about how too many big losses hurting development. You can cope with one every now and then, thats part of the game. But we cannot send them out to get hammered every week - players like Jeka wont really grow. Carlton great example - really have not improved that much...

Anyway, today was bit of a disaster. Highlight was Finn kicking to Lewis for a belated goal.

CJ will benefit from not getting it his own way today, important he comes back strong.
Moore took alot of marks, finding the ball, not always using well, but does find a goal.
Finn looks strong, and worked into game.
Impey hard work in the middle, alot of tackles.
Kosi continues to show he WANTS the footy kicked to him and presents himself.
Jeka very little opportunity, but seemed to give effort and run at the footy.
Worpel finding the footy again, and improving after slow start.
Scrimmers had a 30+ possession match - good for him to be getting lots of footy.

Downie and Brockman still up our sleeve.

Go Hawks.

Look we picked a team to lose by ten goals and we lost by about ten goals.

There are a lot of questions that could be asked about our players unfortunately there are 5 times as many to ask why our coach decided to lose by 10 goals and achieved that.

If it was to get an earlier pick fine.

Reckon its been said after almost every game , we lack the class of the really good sides and it will take time for us to rectify that.

I actually didnt mind the look of the 3 tall forwardline , we just didnt get enough good opportunity there .
Hope we persist with it .

We copped them at a bad time and they got us at a good time for them .
No excuse we were pretty ordinary and they taught us a lesson .

Move on and get better .
We just don’t know how to spread the forward in attack to generate leads. St Kilda did it repeatedly whereas we always seem to bomb into a crowded forward line or pass directly to a defender. It was horrendously bad today.

Worpel should always play on the ball.
Kosi backed up last week with another great game
Jeka hit packs hard and made great second efforts, great debut for a KP.
Scrimshaw brilliant other than a few handballs.
Third of Moore touches ended up in a score.
I would keep Jeka ahead of Lewis for the next game

Said it in the game day thread, from what I saw at the ground, the Saints worked pretty hard and absolutely ripped our zoning defence apart by making sure a spare man ran into an open spot while the Hawks repositioned up to three players around the ball carrier.

Say what you want about how bad the defence was, but when the game plan is looking like defence is all you’re doing, the flood gates are eventually going to burst open.

The *en umpires were a disgrace!

No point our boys even tackling. They just let it go until either a St Kilda free kick could be plucked or the tackled Saints player could manage a throw to a teammate.

We would've won if the umpiring was competent!

Last edited:
Without sounding like a prick, can I just make an observation on Scrimmers.
Pros.
Absolutely knows where the ball is going.
Spoils marks, knows the ball drop can read the play.
Can hit a target with safe short options by had and foot.
Racks up numbers.

Cons
Takes short options and passes off responsibility to other players.

Handballs to players with one step or less to make something happen

One arm tackling, see Hunter Clark goal final minutes.

Where he exceeds a Stratton he ain't no Stratton.
Scrimshaw should play on the wing, as defender don’t think he is hard enough at the ball when it’s on the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back