News Scott Lycett signs with Port Districts

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're gonna get 3 - 4 weeks for that then you may as well make sure the person you are doing it to can't play for at least a month as well then. It's the equivalent of smashing someones jaw with an elbow, punishment potentially doesn't fit the crime here.

If you're gonna get 3 - 4 weeks for that then you may as well make sure the person you are doing it to can't play for at least a month as well then. It's the equivalent of smashing someones jaw with an elbow, punishment potentially doesn't fit the crime here.
He'll get 3 weeks and so he should. Anything more is ridiculous. Mccartin only got 1 more than that for a onepunch behind the play.

From all reports McHenry was fine yesterday.

He'll get 3 weeks and so he should. Anything more is ridiculous. Mccartin only got 1 more than that for a onepunch behind the play.

From all reports McHenry was fine yesterday.

No 3 weeks is too much. Unintentional injuries in a full contact game should never have the same punishment or even near as someone throwing punches or elbows etc and causing much more damage to the opponent.

No 3 weeks is too much. Unintentional injuries in a full contact game should never have the same punishment or even near as someone throwing punches or elbows etc and causing much more damage to the opponent.
Probably not but concussion from something like this can hit you harder later in life. The AFL are going after this hard. Look at past incidents.

So........

1. McHenry apparently suffered from concussion originally, but was fine the day after. So it wasn't the most brutal act ever seen on a footy field.

2. It wasn't two separate actions (a first tackle, then a separate second tackle to sling the head into the ground), it was just the one action where he grabbed him and went to ground to "roll him over" in the tackle to avoid being pinged for "in the back" - just as the AFL has advised clubs what players need to do in respect to rule changes.

3. Drew inadvertantly contributed (in part) to the severity of the impact by also pushing him briefly at the time of him getting rolled over.

4. Not sure of past suspension history for Lycett - if none previous, then he may get a one match discount for leniency. Maybe 3 matches down to 2?

5. Not a behind the play incident, nor was he hitting McHenry's head with his arm/fist/shoulder, etc.

6. Not much worse than Burgoyne and Edwards (Rich) over the past 18 months, where both made sling tackles (both on more than one occasion) and either were found to have no case to answer, or got a slap on the wrist as a penalty. Both had "second actions" after tackling once, then doing the sling afterwards, which Lycett did not do.

7. Will get games, since the head is rightly sacrosanct, but enough evidence to "grey the waters" and mitigate a massive penalty you would hope?

I still cant get past the fact the person leading the "make a statement" brigade is the same twat who basically wrote a public character reference for Andrew Gaff when he coward punched Brayshaw in the derby.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He overstepped the mark with this tackle but if he can somehow play with that aggression without overstepping the mark come finals he'll be a huge asset.

One of his best games for us. I thought he was BOG.

I guess a lot has changed in 3 years but there was that bloke from Freo that nearly killed Robbie Gray in 2018 that only got 3. He had his arms completely pinned and dumped him well over the boundary line and Robbie needed to be stretchered off. This one didn't seem anywhere near as bad as that so i don't think Lycett should get anymore than 3.

So........

1. McHenry apparently suffered from concussion originally, but was fine the day after. So it wasn't the most brutal act ever seen on a footy field.

2. It wasn't two separate actions (a first tackle, then a separate second tackle to sling the head into the ground), it was just the one action where he grabbed him and went to ground to "roll him over" in the tackle to avoid being pinged for "in the back" - just as the AFL has advised clubs what players need to do in respect to rule changes.

3. Drew inadvertantly contributed (in part) to the severity of the impact by also pushing him briefly at the time of him getting rolled over.

4. Not sure of past suspension history for Lycett - if none previous, then he may get a one match discount for leniency. Maybe 3 matches down to 2?

5. Not a behind the play incident, nor was he hitting McHenry's head with his arm/fist/shoulder, etc.

6. Not much worse than Burgoyne and Edwards (Rich) over the past 18 months, where both made sling tackles (both on more than one occasion) and either were found to have no case to answer, or got a slap on the wrist as a penalty. Both had "second actions" after tackling once, then doing the sling afterwards, which Lycett did not do.

7. Will get games, since the head is rightly sacrosanct, but enough evidence to "grey the waters" and mitigate a massive penalty you would hope?
All 7 dot points are very valid but I’m expecting the penalty to be 3 + 1 = 4 weeks (the extra 1 week being the Port tax). Too much BS in the media (Victorian of course) to get anything less than 3 weeks.
Just scimmed reading the fertiliser whilst waiting for my coffee this morning and to me they seemed fair in their write up in pronouncing a 3 week holiday for Scotty. With the bye now included he will be cherry ripe for the Geelong clash and it will now give us chance to blood Hayes or stick with the devil that we know, Ladhams. I guess both of them will be given an opportunity to impress.
As an aside during the Saints game Scotty hit the turf right in front us and he seemed to take a while in deciding to get to his feet - we were a bit concerned. However once he saw that the ball had gone out of bounds further up the field he was onto his feet and ran up to be ready for the throw in. I think he’s indestructible but the heavy work these AFL ruckmen do, there are certainly going to be plenty of sore spots throughout his body, so some weeks off will certainly assist him for run home after the bye.

He overstepped the mark with this tackle but if he can somehow play with that aggression without overstepping the mark come finals he'll be a huge asset.

One of his best games for us. I thought he was BOG.

I guess a lot has changed in 3 years but there was that bloke from Freo that nearly killed Robbie Gray in 2018 that only got 3. He had his arms completely pinned and dumped him well over the boundary line and Robbie needed to be stretchered off. This one didn't seem anywhere near as bad as that so i don't think Lycett should get anymore than 3.

Also happened to Robbie against Carlton at the MCG from Bryce Gibbs, who stood there smiling as he stood over Robbie and admired his work. Can anyone remember how many games Gibbs got for that?

Also happened to Robbie against Carlton at the MCG from Bryce Gibbs, who stood there smiling as he stood over Robbie and admired his work. Can anyone remember how many games Gibbs got for that?
The rules have changed since this incident on 2 fronts.

The MRP assessed it as high impact - it would be severe now - so only 2 weeks and he accepted it with no appeal.

However the 2015 rules where he got 3 weeks but accepting the MRP ruling without appealing it, meant he got a 1 game early plea discount and served a 2 week suspension.

Last edited:
i think he got two. And he wasn't happy about it either and took to social media to express his disappointment in that sentence, with Sam Colquhoun commenting "2 actions pal", which was quite funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back