2nds 2021 VFL and East Coast Second-Tier Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Ely - I am trying to see the player behind the pre-season hype but I haven’t this season yet. He was our worst player tonight, including the academy top-ups. He seems like a tough nut but I thought he was pretty average and would have him as our least impressive midfielder by a fair margin. If he is purely an inside mid, his hands are too slow and too sloppy. If he is an outside mid, he doesn’t break away from the contest much to break the game open. If he is a defensive mid, well he had two tackles tonight. I’m not sure I can see what sort of player we are supposed to be developing here. Robertson would be a mile ahead of him and from what I have seen tonight Joyce went straight past him. Matho is well ahead of him. He might have copped an injury tonight, so I could make some allowances for that and I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see it with him. Would love to be proven wrong.
Nothing I’ve seen at training or in scratch matches tells me you’re wrong.

watched the game late last night on reply
Our players that good all night CEY, Michael and Joyce.
CEY plays inside mid better than forward. Although we have players and he still seems slow..
Joyce got the ball well after missing a lot of games.. Although a bit rusty on disposal
Michael I am liking you think he might get games if Birchall goes. Faster then Rich/Birchall as well.

Those who showed a bit every qtr: H Smith, Madden and McFayden
H Smith great kick for goal he looks good.. A few years to build be nice.
Madden as others said seems to have more confidence now
McFayden clean hands knows where to get the ball.. A few more runs he might be knocking for a spot.

Top ups actually seemed better then listed :(
Liked games from Reville, Tasker and Triffett.

Lots of listed players seemed to only show glimpses here and there.
I lump a few together
Cockatoo needs 3-4 games in a row then I think we can see where he is. Positioning is a little off. Big and Strong although seems really rusty
Fullarton and Berry should be a lot higher at this level. A lot more clean.
E Smith seemed to hurt his ankle again although not seeing much
B Coleman and B Smith both did a few nice things when they got it. Think Brock was on Sexton when he went forward.
Ballenden and Archie both did good things and not so good things. mixed bag

Big thanks to those that can watch the vfl games and report. I did manage to watch a few highlights. B Reville really caught my eye, I'd take him in the mid season draft if for no other reason than to stop another team getting their hands on him. He looks a ripper and a real crowd pleaser. From reading here, covid ruined his shot to come into the squad like kiddy coleman did. The msd maybe our only chance of keeping him.

Am I wearing rose colored glasses after watching limited highlights?

Far out, Dal and Montagna have commentated on our seconds with more enthusiasm and positivity than the Fox footy 'firsts'. It's a shame we get stuck with the likes of Eddie, Dwayne and Dermie week in, week out.
I was very impressed with Montagna knowledge of who the players were

He was able to identify all the academy and top up players without a view of their numbers pretty well I thought.

I actually saw a few decent bursts of pace from CEY, I think its more an issue of agility that makes him look slower. He was definitely just too big and strong compared to most of the players out there last night.

I figure that he could do with another run in the seconds but I would be comfortable with him playing seniors as a back up to Lyons. Or even in for Neale/Matho. Just he really only should be playing inside mid and not forward

Im still uncertain with what I see from Fullerton. As was noted several times from the commentary he has great hands down low. But he seems to be in that position more because he poor ideas about where to run. His forward leading patterns are poor and is often caught out of position. Too often he was front and centre instead of contesting the mark

Big thanks to those that can watch the vfl games and report. I did manage to watch a few highlights. B Reville really caught my eye, I'd take him in the mid season draft if for no other reason than to stop another team getting their hands on him. He looks a ripper and a real crowd pleaser. From reading here, covid ruined his shot to come into the squad like kiddy coleman did. The msd maybe our only chance of keeping him.

Am I wearing rose colored glasses after watching limited highlights?
Gees our drafting would be shambles if we draft just to stop others from having a specific player. DeVille would be excess to needs on our list. Stopping someone from developing a career is not what I would want from our recruiters. If our recruiters see DeVille as potentially an improvement on Coleman/s, McCarthy yBerry etc... Then yeah draft him. But to draft him and leave him stew in the resies and a year or two later delist him to make room for draft numbers is not the right way to go. If he gets a shot at an AFL career elsewhere we should be pleased. Just like we are pleased for Kaeysie.

On F1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was keen to get Ely Smith into the seniors this year after a good pre season and early run of form. However he was very average last night. Didn't work hard enough. Fast running out of time.

Some of the top ups were the most impressive like Reville and Tasker. I thought Joyce had a fair game - cracked in and won plenty of ball, but needs to use it better. Archie Smith still very limited and drops far too many marks. His tap work is decent.

I think against strong VFL sides we will continue to struggle - but like any reserves comp it will vary from week to week due to injuries and availability. The difference between having 2/3 afl listed players playing or not playing is worth plenty of goals at this level.

On Henry Smith, has he got good physicality and aggression in his game?
Think Zork's mentioned during the commentary that he has a bit of white line fever. Thought he attacked a couple packs well last night but maybe misjudged a couple as well

So realistically, how long would it take a developing and very young ruck like Henry Smith to be ready for AFL. If he is currently 18, surely not before 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back