Review Round 10 vs Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium (22.05.21 - 2:10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's averaging 9 disposals a game, takes 1.7 nice contested marks that make you think somethings there and then largely unsighted. I think he's droppable and delistable. Plus if you bring in Smith wouldn't you keep Graham in the side to tackle the geelong 3 prong attack?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hes a good man to have down the back and we can swing him forward too if need be.
I like him. He’s got heart.

Hes a good man to have down the back and we can swing him forward too if need be.
I like him. He’s got heart.
I agree with you , but people want Smith you need to give them Smith .

Fish has Miller, Holman, Smith for Bowes, Ainsworth and Burgess
Don't mind those changes. Keeping Bowes would have been nice but getting Miller back is a bigger in than Bowes is a loss. Holman just that tenacity and 100% effort to every content that we really lacked against the Lions and then we actually have a ruckman in our side for the first time since round 3! I imagine Graham stays instead of Burgess to play back up in the ruck and help cover Geelong's taller forward line.

I'd be pretty happy with these changes.

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Gold Coast football boss Jon Haines confirmed both Touk Miller (suspension) and Nick Holman (concussion) would come back into the side, provided Holman gets through the final stages of the mandatory protocols.

Gold Coast will have to make at least one forced change, with defender Jack Bowes (hamstring) to miss the next three weeks. But Haines suggested there could be several unforced changes.

“There‘s a mix of taking learnings from the game (against Brisbane), but also there’s accountability attached to that,” he said

“There‘s no doubt some guys will put themselves under pressure, not just off the back of the weekend, but over a number of weeks now.

“We feel like we’ve got some option in the VFL team, we’ve got guys who are performing well. That pressure on spots and depth is a really important aspect of good teams and we feel like we’re building that.”

On Wednesday, Stuart Dew confirmed ruckman Zac Smith would also return for his first game in almost two years.

After three VFL games, Smith has recovered from a PCL injury and found form, meaning he’ll play for the first time since Round 20, 2019 - when he was playing for Geelong.

“We’re looking forward to having Zac back in the side,” Dew said.

“He’s got himself to a point where he’s really confident and we’re confident in what he can do.

“We wanted to make sure he hit the ground running and can really add to the side, which we think he can.”

If the Suns wanted to make a statement, first-round draftees Ben Ainsworth and Izak Rankine have kicked just five goals between them from their past three games. The Suns could then turn back to Alex Sexton, who kicked 2.2 from 18 disposals and six tackles against the Lions in the VFL last week

Elsewhere, Sean Lemmens’ rollercoaster AFL season continued against the Lions with eight disposals and Jy Farrar’s output has dropped over recent weeks. Whether the Suns would drop Rory Atkins and Malcolm Rosas after one game remains to be seen.

The possible replacements would be Brayden Fiorini and Will Brodie, who’ve continued to rack up stacks of disposals in the VFL, while academy graduate Alex Davies has averaged 20 disposals and six tackles from his past three VFL games. Small defenders Jarrod Harbrow and Jez McLennan had 23 and 20 disposals respectively against the Lions’ VFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith confirmed to be playing this round

How do we all feel about this? I believe he didn't show anywhere near enough in 2's last week against the Lions, he was slow, unable to get to contests and make an impact and was just genuinely woeful. I really hope he makes me eat my words on Saturday. I was looking forward to him returning to the 1's but by God his form is trash at the moment I have no idea how he got the recall.

For me, we had to roll the dice at some point. If he’s not match fit now, he will never be... But I’d rather be proven wrong and see us have a crack at a proper set-up, especially with Touk back to bolster the midfield. Build some synergy before Hawthorne game as we head into the break.

No knocks against Burgess and Graham for their efforts, but that wasn’t working for us and could only be maintained for so long before we were fully exposed. Hopefully our mids can continue to be reactive, but also win a few more taps on occasion and break out of the centre cleanly. Burgo and/or Graham can chop out around the ground still if we keep the tall set-up.

Zac really doesnt have to do anything other than provide a genuine contest at stoppages.The reason we let him go was because he's hopeless around the ground.I'm not expecting that to change but we have to stop the bleeding at the centre bounce.
I'd like to know the highest number of unforced changes Dew has made during his tenure.I'd be really surprised if it was any more than 2 so I'm expecting him to "back the incumbents in"which is ridiculous of course

Last edited:
At least we are open to giving our list a chance.

The bulldogs who are 2nd, has played everyone bar 3 on their whole list.

Mitch Wallis can't even get a game.

We all know whats going to happen, were gonna get belted by geelong lets see if these new/older blokes can prove to us what they got.

Zac really doesnt have to do anything other than provide a genuine contest at stoppages.The reason we let him go was because he's hopeless around the ground.I'm not expecting that to change but we have to stop the bleeding at the centre bounce.
I'd like to see the highest number of unforced changes Dew has made during his tenure.I'd be really surprised if it was any more than 2 so I'm expecting him to "back the incumbents in"which is ridiculous of course
swallow is a success - back the incumbents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back