Autopsy Autopsy vs St Kilda - Round 11, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

leaders and pressure, we don’t have any.
But I don’t think intent is the problem the guys just don’t have the legs to pressure for large periods of time together.
Jed back and flying in the midfield will be infectious also..
They mentioned it on the tele, actually about young Cameron. He is the one that needs to be more consistent in his attack. His long run to pressure a kick in the last quarter was highlighted, and rightly so. We do not seem to do it. We are happy, or at least content. to trail along behind. He is the bloke that should set the tone, but more by leading by example.

Parts of Ziebell's game in the backline I really like. He has a big, penetrating kick for kicking out and providing rebound. Actually hits targets too.

But what drives me ******* mad is his inability to know "when to go". Even when he's completely out of position and another defender is set up to mark, he will fly on in anyway. He doesn't seem to know what the hell a spoil is either.
100 percent.

Coach said at half time he asked his players to improve tackling and disposal (kicking) efficiency.
By game’s end Mahony led effective tackles.
Only reason he led effective tackles is cos he is always second to the ball or turns it over.

Walker shouldnt get a game once Tarrant comes back. Cant play him forward. He spoils his team mates. Larkey would have a few more to his tally if it werent for JW

We’ll need to do something to solve the missing CHF problem. Whether it’s Xerri, Walker, or someone else. Walker isn’t awesome by any stretch but we need some sort of marking target.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

They mentioned it on the tele, actually about young Cameron. He is the one that needs to be more consistent in his attack. His long run to pressure a kick in the last quarter was highlighted, and rightly so. We do not seem to do it. We are happy, or at least content. to trail along behind. He is the bloke that should set the tone, but more by leading by example.

problem with pressure is if it’s just left for one or two, they get warn out quickly and it all falls over. We need 21 blokes who can do it for 120 mins.
This isn’t gameplan, They all need to go to fatcamp..

Bloody frustrating, we should've lost by 60 if Saints were actually any good. Our pressure improved a bit in the 2nd half but its clearly below AFL standard.
TT, Bailey, Larkey and Zurhaar were positives of the night. We looked a bit flat and fatigued.
Powell in particular was a bit sloppier than usual with his handballs which doesn't usually happen but is understandable.
Who knows whether the hub talk has impacted on all the Vic teams, even the Pies-Cats game was poor.
Problems with the mid-forward connection and forward structure persist but they also don't really have a leader up there directing on-field.
Really reminds of the younger Lions, they made similar poor turnovers in their earlier years, let's hope we can learn when to take the risk and when not to.
All part of the growing pains. You can't fix up every area all at once, and when you think you've got something figured out that area goes backwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall it wasn’t a great performance. We are in need of the break, and a refresh. However, the last quarter was good and to end up losing by 20 points is a positive IMO, I’m 100% taking that pre game.

Positives:
- McKay monstered Max King. Absolutely bullied him. It was the most dominant performance I’ve seen from him. Shame about his string.
- On a day where the coach was vocal on our lack of tackling pressure, it was pleasing for LDU, Simpkin, Thomas & Powell to have 22 between them.
- Bailey Scott’s job on Brad Hill was super impressive. His running capacity is excellent.
- We were beaten in the midfield, none of these guys had their best days, but I take a lot of confidence out of the fact that Simpkin (26 Disposals), LDU (24 Disposals), Powell (18 Disposals) & Thomas (17 Disposals & 2 goals) got their hands on the footy.

Only reason he led effective tackles is cos he is always second to the ball or turns it over.

Derp!

If Spicer laid 6 tackles you’d be pulling yourself stupid

Last edited:
Everyone used the same argument for years about Kayne Turner as a small forward, look how well he worked out.
Understand your frustration but he is so much more than Turner. His quick hands belied what he is capable of.

He is being asked to play a challenging role, but is doing well considering his and the team’s inexperience.
He’s expected to put pressure on in the backline and also be a presence in the forward line. Have a look at his running patterns throughout the game.

He looks to put the ball in a better position and keep it moving. Thomas is a beneficiary of Mahony dishing it out to him 2 weeks in a row.

problem with pressure is if it’s just left for one or two, they get warn out quickly and it all falls over. We need 21 blokes who can do it for 120 mins.
This isn’t gameplan, They all need to go to fatcamp..
Yep, and that is where leadership comes into it, to demand it from the others. I remember watching an Everton FC training video about teams that press from the front, how it works, where it fails etc etc .... Obviously a totally different game, but it needs to be a 1 in all in effort

What I also see is the significant reduction in traffic on these threads, posters have disappeared, and if that is a reflection on what is happening with our supporter / member base as a result of our “rebuild” then that is of major concern.

Turn it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back