Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell is a battler. He tries hard. But he is not AFL standard.

Start getting games into X, because Goldy doesnt have much time left....
Totally agree, is not so fking obvious
I think the Xerri for campbell change will finally happen next game

like you mention Campbell is a battler and a break in case of emergency but Xerri’s form can’t be ignored and we need to get games into him now

X can’t mark his spot
Career back-up Tom Campbell played three AFL games in three seasons before this year and never more than nine in one year, but has become a regular for North Melbourne in 2021.

The 29-year-old big man is backing up Todd Goldstein in the ruck and giving the Roos a tall target in attack, given they are so lacking in that area since shipping off Ben Brown.

Brown is stranded in the VFL at his new team Melbourne and would be extremely handy for David Noble’s team about now.

Noble took exception to a question about why Campbell, at his age, track record and with the direction North is heading, is playing ahead of 22-year-old ruckman Tristan Xerri.

Campbell’s had a solid year, but the query is on how big of a factor he will be once the 18th-placed Kangaroos are contending for finals again.

Noble said Xerri, who amassed 36 disposals and 27 hit-outs at VFL level last week, needed “to do more” but was “putting some pressure on”.

Tristan Xerri is banging down the door for a recall, but is being made to wait his turn. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Tristan Xerri is banging down the door for a recall, but is being made to wait his turn. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

“We’re not going to give games away. There’s a scenario where we’re playing two rucks, and I think Tom’s been pretty reasonable,” Noble said.

“I mean, even up until last week we looked at Tristan coming in, but he hasn’t unfortunately had enough time forward.

“The difficulty with this bit of shutdown at the moment is we’re not able to get him that ground time, but certainly he’s pressing really hard. There’s no query around that.

“We’re conscious of it – I understand what you’re saying – but I also think there needs to be a bit of credit given to Tom, as to how he’s actually been performing as well."

X can’t mark his spot
Career back-up Tom Campbell played three AFL games in three seasons before this year and never more than nine in one year, but has become a regular for North Melbourne in 2021.

The 29-year-old big man is backing up Todd Goldstein in the ruck and giving the Roos a tall target in attack, given they are so lacking in that area since shipping off Ben Brown.

Brown is stranded in the VFL at his new team Melbourne and would be extremely handy for David Noble’s team about now.

Noble took exception to a question about why Campbell, at his age, track record and with the direction North is heading, is playing ahead of 22-year-old ruckman Tristan Xerri.

Campbell’s had a solid year, but the query is on how big of a factor he will be once the 18th-placed Kangaroos are contending for finals again.

Noble said Xerri, who amassed 36 disposals and 27 hit-outs at VFL level last week, needed “to do more” but was “putting some pressure on”.

“We’re not going to give games away. There’s a scenario where we’re playing two rucks, and I think Tom’s been pretty reasonable,” Noble said.

“I mean, even up until last week we looked at Tristan coming in, but he hasn’t unfortunately had enough time forward.

“The difficulty with this bit of shutdown at the moment is we’re not able to get him that ground time, but certainly he’s pressing really hard. There’s no query around that.

“We’re conscious of it – I understand what you’re saying – but I also think there needs to be a bit of credit given to Tom, as to how he’s actually been performing as well."

Needs to do more? He broke records last week. He isn't getting any time up forward because we slaughtered our VFL list. That ain't his fault.

Play both Campbell and Xerri

X can’t mark his spot

Unfortunately this is where Nobes is letting himself down - ...not going to give games away...what are we doing with Mahoney?

Yes 'Tom has been reasonable' but so what - the messaging from the club is that its about process, a multi year rebuild - big Tom and Menadue simply do not fit into this yet they play ahead of younger players that have performed at the required level in VFL.

Be consistent Nobes or this won't end well for anyone.

X can’t mark his spot

Where's the link mate?

I’d be giving Xerri a game as a forward soon. Having said that, his stats need to be analysed with some consideration of the opposition. The match before his last he was convincingly beaten by two to three of the talls playing in the Essendon twos. I can only think his last match was against smaller opponents? I doubt he will measure up strength and running wise against the AFLs rucks. We need to give him a go though to find out. He needs to be given the chance to see what more he needs to do to be a success in the AFL.

My concern is that they're keeping him in the VFL simply because we have no one else to ruck in the VFL if he's in the ones.

This would be the text book definition of hypocrisy.

I’d be giving Xerri a game as a forward soon. Having said that, his stats need to be analysed with some consideration of the opposition. The match before his last he was convincingly beaten by two to three of the talls playing in the Essendon twos. I can only think his last match was against smaller opponents? I doubt he will measure up strength and running wise against the AFLs rucks. We need to give him a go though to find out. He needs to be given the chance to see what more he needs to do to be a success in the AFL.

Quality of the opposition be damned. He, a 2 meter tall ruckman, had 36 possessions and broke the contested possession record for the VFL. Any player that did that, on the back of some already pretty decent form, should be rewarded. The fact it was a ruckman who managed it is, quite frankly, absurd. They should have found a way to fit him in. Resting Goldy, demoting Campbell or Larkey, playing all of them... I would have copped any decision. All those options have negatives attached to them, but I think the biggest negative would have been, and was, not playing Xerri at all.

The fact he now misses out on 2 weeks of football due to COVID ******* the VFL is just the salt in the wound.

Quality of the opposition be damned. He, a 2 meter tall ruckman, had 36 possessions and broke the contested possession record for the VFL. Any player that did that, on the back of some already pretty decent form, should be rewarded. The fact it was a ruckman who managed it is, quite frankly, absurd. They should have found a way to fit him in. Resting Goldy, demoting Campbell or Larkey, playing all of them... I would have copped any decision. All those options have negatives attached to them, but I think the biggest negative would have been, and was, not playing Xerri at all.

The fact he now misses out on 2 weeks of football due to COVID ******* the VFL is just the salt in the wound.

He's not Wayne Carey, Corey McKernan or Todd Goldstein, but he is a certified workhorse who will use his big frame to try and benefit his team.

He IS a physical presence. Whether he has a place in a team dedicated to playing keeping's off, is another matter again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's probably good for Xerri to be the no. 1 ruck at VFL level without Campbell there right now. Puts pressure on him to be the man.
I want him to get into the AFL side soon but this might be good for him having a chunk of games ruck as no.1 week after week, even if at VFL level.
He might thrive on it like Goldy seems to.

Unfortunately this is where Nobes is letting himself down - ...not going to give games away...what are we doing with Mahoney?

Yes 'Tom has been reasonable' but so what - the messaging from the club is that its about process, a multi year rebuild - big Tom and Menadue simply do not fit into this yet they play ahead of younger players that have performed at the required level in VFL.

Be consistent Nobes or this won't end well for anyone.
spot on

Watching Nobles presser, he touches on X after McGowans questioning. Says that X needs work on his forward craft, specifically his leading patterns.

I don’t think we will see a 22 with all three ruckman. It’s either X or TC.

Of course the quality of opposition needs to be considered. I think you are going to be disappointed when you see him in the ruck against the big boys. I’m not sure if he is 200cm but I’d do know he has very little leap. I do like that he plays angry at times and will try his arse off to try and make it. I’d be finding out now whether he is a chance of making it so we can be better informed going in to the end of year trade and draft periods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back