Votes: 25 9.3%
  • Riley Collier-Dawkins

Votes: 36 13.4%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 26 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Very enjoyable game of free flowing footy, credit to Adelaide, they're playing a great brand of football and will worry a lot of sides in the run home.

As has been a pattern over our flag years, we do have our vulnerable stages in matches at centre bounces, as evidenced by the first quarter and first half of the last. Beaten in the clearances 40-27 again. Game time into the seniors and the returns of Lambo and Shedda will help, but something that really stood out was the dominance Chol gave us with his ruckwork in the 3rd, was really key to one of our best quarters for the year.

Marbs had a great game all round, some clever work forward, solid competing in pack situations and perhaps most pleasing of all, some really ferocious tackling when it was his turn to go. CCJ had a fantastic game too, was a little worried he would get chances but mirror his poor conversion rate from the VFL, but not only did he nail all his opportunities (the one from the boundary was sublime), he was a significant upgrade on Lynch's poor conversion this year. Great hands and presence in the air, times his leads really well (including several that were ignored), absolutely loved the foot brains behind that lovely hook kick to Marbs for a goal in the 2Q.

If game time and healthy contracts is what it takes to keep these two super talented young talls at the club then that's what we have to do. I don't care if we have to go into games a bit tall on occasion (which worked today when we adapted our game plan to a more marking style), use Broad as our 3rd defensive tall and Astbury misses out, or if we play Lynch in the VFL on a million bucks a year until his contract ends. We've put a ton of development into both and it makes no sense at all to be chasing KPF's in the draft when we already have two with such promise who are ready to start getting the job done now.

Whatever it takes, Marbs and CCJ need to be retained.

Jack had a blinder, stood up like the great leader he is and worked really well with the young talls. Cotch was a very welcome return, looked fresh with pace and some great disposal, just adds so much with his tackle pressure, ditto Meatball, had a very solid game (pun intended). They're both hungry for another flag. Bolton was his ultra-classy, too fast for everyone self, terrific game and his footy smarts just grow and grow every time he steps out.

Broad was our best defender again as he so often has been this year, just as competitive as he always has been in the 1:1's, but he's added some serious rebound to his game in the last season and a half. The rest of the defense was very solid under significant pressure due to the clearance differential, loved a couple of Shorty's defensive efforts early in the game and Balta had another beauty after a slow start to the year. Aarts continued his great form, thought Hugo went really well again, often made good space but wasn't used. Both his goals were highlights of the game, he's gonna be a great player and look out when his tank is fully developed. RCD solid again, couple of blues, but another promising game.

Bloody tough team selection meeting this week, I don't envy their job.

The 'Dons have hit peak form with a great away win (seems like every side is in their peak form when they play us!), they're going to be a tough opponent next week with clearance power one of their key strengths, Parish and Zerrett are flying and we'll really have to be on our game to break even with them. Still holding out hope Dreamtime at the 'G won't be ruined again by Covid, but I'd be 100% supportive of an initiative to play it in Darwin again and give the community up there another great exhibition rather than play it in Melbourne with no crowd. I hope the AFL have enough greay matter to include it as an option in their plans, I think we'd all be happy to see that as the best alternative.

Great win today boys, one more to go and then a well deserved break. :thumbsu::richmond:

Last edited:
Is Sheds available and with the side?

If so

IN - Sheds and Rioli / Pickett Dreamtime boys will lift for this game and will lift us.

Out - Hugo and Castagna hasnt hit the scoreboard and his form is sheizen.

Astbury makes our defense worse not better

Dave has been playing injured like Tommy hence they've both been going like busted's for most of the season.

Very enjoyable game of free flowing footy, credit to Adelaide, they're playing a great brand of football and will worry a lot of sides in the run home.

As has been a pattern over our flag years, we do have our vulnerable stages in matches at centre bounces, as evidenced by the first quarter and first half of the last. Beaten in the clearances 40-27 again. Game time into the seniors and the returns of Lambo and Shedda will help, but something that really stood out was the dominance Chol gave us with his ruckwork in the 3rd, was really key to one of our best quarters for the year.

Marbs had a great game all round, some clever work forward, solid competing in pack situations and perhaps most pleasing of all, some really ferocious tackling when it was his turn to go. CCJ had a fantastic game too, was a little worried he would get chances but mirror his poor conversion rate from the VFL, but not only did he nail all his opportunities (the one from the boundary was sublime), he was a significant upgrade on Lynch's poor conversion this year. Great hands and presence in the air, times his leads really well (including several that were ignored), absolutely loved the foot brains behind that lovely hook kick to Marbs for a goal in the 2Q.

If game time and healthy contracts is what it takes to keep these two super talented young talls at the club then that's what we have to do. I don't care if we have to go into games a bit tall on occasion (which worked today when we adapted our game plan to a more marking style), use Broad as our 3rd defensive tall and Astbury misses out, or if we play Lynch in the VFL on a million bucks a year until his contract ends. We've put a ton of development into both and it makes no sense at all to be chasing KPF's in the draft when we already have two with such promise who are ready to start getting the job done now.

Whatever it takes, Marbs and CCJ need to be retained.

Jack had a blinder, stood up like the great leader he is and worked really well with the young talls. Cotch was a very welcome return, looked fresh with pace and some great disposal, just adds so much with his tackle pressure, ditto Meatball, had a very solid game (pun intended). They're both hungry for another flag. Bolton was his ultra-classy, too fast for everyone self, terrific game and his footy smarts just grow and grow every time he steps out.

Broad was our best defender again as he so often has been this year, just as competitive as he always has been in the 1:1's, but he's added some serious rebound to his game in the last season and a half. The rest of the defense was very solid under significant pressure due to the clearance differential, loved a couple of Shorty's defensive efforts early in the game and Balta had another beauty after a slow start to the year. Aarts continued his great form, thought Hugo went really well again, often made good space but wasn't used. Both his goals were highlights of the game, he's gonna be a great player and look out when his tank is fully developed. RCD solid again, couple of blues, but another promising game.

Bloody tough team selection meeting this week, I don't envy their job.

The 'Dons have hit peak form with a great away win (seems like every side is in their peak form when they play us!), they're going to be a tough opponent next week with clearance power one of their key strengths, Parish and Zerrett are flying and we'll really have to be on our game to break even with them. Still holding out hope Dreamtime at the 'G won't be ruined again by Covid, but I'd be 100% supportive of an initiative to play it in Darwin again and give the community up there another great exhibition rather than play it in Melbourne with no crowd. I hope the AFL have enough greay matter to include it as an option in their plans, I think we'd all be happy to see that as the best alternative.

Great win today boys, one more to go and then a well deserved break. :thumbsu::richmond:
Very good post mate. I recall our clearance work was terrible last year until just before the finals when we changed our game structure a bit and then BANG, we were no1 for clearances in the finals and a major reason we won the flag. I'm sure Dimma and the match committee are onto it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we got frees that every other team gets...that’s all...it’s the way the game is adjudicated
We got many soft frees in pivotal positions which even our own supporters were questioning in the in game thread. The point is the umpiring this season seems to be either ludricoisly bad or follows a party line by the AFL to square up a team based on their directives.

Ins: Edwards (if ready), if not ready think they'll go Rioli), Pickett,
Outs: ???? geez it was pretty consistent across the board, going to be 1-2 unlucky players going out. Castagna was so so, but we know he never gets dropped.

Was captain of the SA U18s. Has leadership potential. Think the kebab thing must've been out of character for him, or he's just a person who makes poor decisions when drinking (like me lol)

He just needs to get more physical in the contest IMO - if you put an extra man in front of him, prepare to get a corkie stuff. His performance was really great and the forward line looks certain to get a restructure to something new, which will be fun. It worked though because Chol was the 3rd tall - his forward pressure & Movement was really good IMO - if the 3 talls are Lynch, CCJ & Jack - i think it could make the fwd line pretty stagnant

Back