Biggest commentary bugbears?

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be just me, but can't stand when they replay a "potential" incident and then everyone comments on how many weeks they're gonna get. Feel it is totally unfair to the player.

Hear hear.

When players used to get actually reported by the umpire, they weren't even allowed to show replays lest it influence the tribunal.

Now, the bloody commentators go way over the top in basically coming up with a verdict that the tribunal probably feels a degree of pressure to uphold.

I'm the one (non-collingwood) person who actually likes Eddie as a commentator but his constant calling Jiath as CJ is doing my ******* head in. He doesn't do it for anyone else. It's really noticeable. He should just stop it.

Yup - Eddie's definitely jumped the shark and is taking it too far on that one.

Commentators who crap on about hair styles
For some reason footy commentators are obsessed with any player who has a mullet and think it's great entertainment to drone on about it

Brayshaw is the worst of the lot but Howard/Russell/Brown were just now indulging in some dreary 'banter' about a Pies player who has one (insert obligatory discussion about town player comes from being place that would have lots of mullets).

1/ Every commentator in every game calls a goal b4 they know if it's a goal and they are often wrong.
eg He's got onto that, it's sailing through the goalposts for a goal to Richmond, no, it faded late and just missed.
If you're not 100%, then wait for the goal umpire to signal a goal.It's not rocket science.
It happens 5 or 6 times a game.

2/ Commentators think shouting is acceptable to restore interest in a game .
If there is a good piece of play , commentators think they need to shout it's bs. Looking at you Anthony Hudson.

3/Commentators constantly bagging some umpire's decisions incorrectly and never apologising when they are wrong.

4/ Ex AFL players prostituting themselves by flogging junk food to kids like Macshit that has poor nutrition and makes people sick.
They wouldn't go near the crap as a professional athlete but they brainwash kids into loving it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commentators referring to Indigenous players as 'boys' when they are 28 years old and have 3 kids.
It's not 'Indigenous Boys' they are men.
The classic example is Sandy Roberts calling Michael Long's GF goal, 'look at this boy go'. He was 24 at the time.
You wouldn't hear any commentator call Gary Ablett snr a boy ect

Last edited:
Drinking game: Sink a beer every time BT tells us someone is operating inside the "phone box".

One I find especially annoying in radio.

When there are players with the same surname on opposing teams and they simply name them by surname alone.

Gold Coast and Geelong can be particularly difficult for this with each team having a Smith and Atkins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back