Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no doubt is North offered Harry McKay $1.3 mil x 7 years ( $9 mil )
They would have enough in their cap to pay $5 mil of that just in his 1st year leaving $4 mil over 6 years for the rest of his contract

So basically what they are doing is $715,000 a year with a $4 mil sign on bonus
looking at the north list they have Cunnington , Polec , Tyson ,Tarrant , Ziebull , Goldstein that would have been paid to the full and playing out the rest of their contracts for free or will be delisted and the rest re just kids or the core of the rebuild.

If that was the case how could he say no?

I'd love him at North as much as anyone but it's not happening. What's the motivation?

More money? He'll get a $1m offer from Carlton (and others) minimum. Players earning that much don't move for a little extra.

Carlton are bad? Sure. But we are worse.

Family connection? Yeah - that worked out real well on David Swallow. Gun players don't pick their clubs for this kind of reason. Complete pipe dream.

(There, now hopefully the universe will make it happen just to make me look stupid. C'mon, cosmos.)

I'd love him at North as much as anyone but it's not happening. What's the motivation?

More money? He'll get a $1m offer from Carlton (and others) minimum. Players earning that much don't move for a little extra.

Family connection? Yeah - that worked out real well on David Swallow. Gun players don't pick their clubs for this kind of reason. Complete pipe dream.

(There, now hopefully the universe will make it happen just to make me look stupid. C'mon, cosmos.)

I wouldn’t discount the attraction of playing with family. And being on opposite sides of the ground would at least mean they don’t get in the way of one another. Add in the prospect of a huge $$$ laden contract (which would have a lot more money and a longer term than what may have been offered to Swallow), I think he’s a big chance to go.

l think with what we have and how we are tracking, we are actually ahead of Carlton. We have had reasons , mainly rebuilding and not promising things out of our reach unlike Carlton , Both clubs have had injuries however our list is younger with us having to pit our kids to early, on most occassions against seasoned players. So are Carlton bad? Yes . But are we worse ? In expectations. No

I wouldn’t discount the attraction of playing with family. And being on opposite sides of the ground would at least mean they don’t get in the way of one another. Add in the prospect of a huge $$$ laden contract (which would have a lot more money and a longer term than what may have been offered to Swallow), I think he’s a big chance to go.

I like how you just reverse psychologied BigFatNorthFan's own attempt at reverse psychology.

I think the current (seemingly) shambolic state of Carlton would be as much a factor in Harry wanting to leave as anything (that's if the rumour is true, which I am inclined not to believe at this point)

I still believe he stays, but honestly couldn't blame him or Cripps if they wanted out.

l think with what we have and how we are tracking, we are actually ahead of Carlton. We have had reasons , mainly rebuilding and not promising things out of our reach unlike Carlton , Both clubs have had injuries however our list is younger with us having to pit our kids to early, on most occassions against seasoned players. So are Carlton bad? Yes . But are we worse ? In expectations. No
Idk if you've realised but you are just us from 4 years ago. We had the 'promising youth' and we had Cripps, a superstar player at the time. We had Charlie Curnow, Marchbank and all the rest. We had 5 rising star noms in one year and players looking like future stars of the game but at the end of the day rebuilds arent a guarantee at success. Injuries, poor culture and bad luck all play a factor and after years of going to the draft we're still a very ordinary team. Have all the talent on paper but some haven't come on and some have been on the sidelines for years. In 4-5 years theres no guarantee of success simply because you pick up some talened 18 year olds at the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Idk if you've realised but you are just us from 4 years ago. We had the 'promising youth' and we had Cripps, a superstar player at the time. We had Charlie Curnow, Marchbank and all the rest. We had 5 rising star noms in one year and players looking like future stars of the game but at the end of the day rebuilds arent a guarantee at success. Injuries, poor culture and bad luck all play a factor and after years of going to the draft we're still a very ordinary team. Have all the talent on paper but some haven't come on and some have been on the sidelines for years. In 4-5 years theres no guarantee of success simply because you pick up some talened 18 year olds at the draft

You are right in that nothing is gaurunteed and development isn’t promised. But your point only focuses on the negative outcome, when the opposite can be true.

Brisbane went from bottom 4 to top 4 in a year.

Melbourne went from crap to good to crap to good over a 4-5 year period towards the end of their rebuild.

You can be mired in mediocrity for years like Carlton have been, but if you get it right things can turn very quickly.

Depends on the character of players north have drafted.

One thing i think Carlton and other teams dont rate as highly as (or get wrong compared to) other teams when selecting players at the draft is character. And im not saying they recruit players of bad character. But i do know that successful teams put a premium on players who have strong leadership qualities, have as a junior played in very successful teams, are selfless, autonomous and resilient. These qualities are of equal importance to skill and speed.

These sorts are generally easier to develop, have higher ceilings, create a better club culture and more of a buy in to the team first mentality. Also less likely to leave.

You are right in that nothing is gaurunteed and development isn’t promised. But your point only focuses on the negative outcome, when the opposite can be true.

Brisbane went from bottom 4 to top 4 in a year.

Melbourne went from crap to good to crap to good over a 4-5 year period towards the end of their rebuild.

You can be mired in mediocrity for years like Carlton have been, but if you get it right things can turn very quickly.
Correct. I'm of the belief that nobody in the bottom half of the ladder is 'ahead' of anyone. Most teams have good quality talent on their list, however its the other factors that play into it more so than where they were drafted. Id back in a team like the Crows or Hawks to rebound quickly given their track record of success. Both North and Carlton havent showed any reliability at sustaining success on field

In what world does getting in the way of your brother on field influence a trade?

He isn’t leaving Carlton, just a great play by his manager to squeeze the club for a big pay day. Sign for 2 years on good coin to get him to FA and then he can milk them for a bigger contract. Gives him 2 years to see where the Blues are at too

He is almost certainly going to North. From a source close to Carlton.

And i dislike north as much as Carlton so i dont care if people want to meltdown. Watch what happens.
I’d seriously doubt that, as bad as Carlton have been, they have a stack of young talent, all they need is a better system/coaches.
I think he’ll stay

Kangas going to open the war chest and offer him a ridiculous contract

No such thing as a War Chest.

Also it's pretty obvious that Richmond's supporter 'Intel' was clearly a lie/trolling both sets of supporters. (Most amusing so many got sucked in)

He is staying at Carlton, loves the place and his teammates.

The Blues are having another list clean out at end of the season with the likes of Murphy, SPS, Dow, Lob and at least 3 more players either retiring/traded or delisted.

We can and will pay him what is management wants, 2 years that will take him into Free Agency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back